Home

AI Pitch Selction Needs Adjustment

This is a discussion on AI Pitch Selction Needs Adjustment within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
Rookie

bobloblah1980's Arena

OVR: 1
AI Pitch Selction Needs Adjustment

So let me just preface this by saying I love this game in fact I am 100 games in to year 2 of my 162 games played of my Franchise but......

The AI pitch selection is absolutely horrible! The pitchers league wide in my games are throwing 35-37% Change ups which is crazy! but not only that but just in general I am seeing way to much "junk" Barely making the 50% FB range.

That and I am seeing where a large percentage of the time particularly with bottom of the rotation and crappy relievers that should be throwing FB's in FB count and they don't. Now I realize that they shouldn't all the time but the majority of the time it doesn't.

Anyone else see this? will it be addressed?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
Pro

Herschie's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: AI Pitch Selction Needs Adjustment

The AI sure does seem to know how much I hate a 2-strike changeup in the dirt or an outside slider.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #3
Rookie

bobloblah1980's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschie
The AI sure does seem to know how much I hate a 2-strike changeup in the dirt or an outside slider.

But That's classic pitching though. I have no issue with that pitch selection ..It's the 2-0, 3-1 changes (Which a lesser pitcher not a Kershaw/Price etc would use a FB) or whatever offspeed pitch they have or just the shear volume of changes
The top Change up pitchers ex. Marco Estrada are at their highest 30% but 37% that's crazy!
Old 11-29-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I don't know about real life but in game I throw 2-0 and 3-1 changeups all the time, especially to good hitters. If they "know" a fastball is coming, the last thing I want to do is give them one. I guess it's because of that fact that I'm ok if they use that against me. It might not be realistic but it's the right ratio to mess me up at the plate. At the end of the day I'd prefer pitchers who can use all of their tools to beat me over a realistic pitch ratio. Still, it would be cool to have a choice between the two options, or to even be able to set pitch ratio guidelines for the computer (if you so desire, not an option that I want on personally). That would certainly help with the steep learning curve this game has.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:21 AM   #5
Pro

ScouserHUN's Arena

OVR: 4

The AI in this game learns the way you play. If you tend to swing at bad pitches the pitchers are going to throw a lot of them. Maybe, you have bad results agains changeups and they are over-using it, because it is effective agains you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouserHUN
The AI in this game learns the way you play. If you tend to swing at bad pitches the pitchers are going to throw a lot of them. Maybe, you have bad results agains changeups and they are over-using it, because it is effective agains you.

Im pretty sure its based off confidence levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youtube
Old 11-30-2015, 10:46 AM   #7
MVP

HypoLuxa13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Im pretty sure its based off confidence levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably need a dev to confirm, but I pretty much agree. If you are swinging at change ups and sliders and 12-6 curveballs routinely, and not making good contact, the CPU pitcher's confidence in those pitches will go up. Which will make them choose to throw them more often.

Best things I did with MLB 15 to make it the most enjoyable baseball game ever was a) use dynamic difficulty for hitting, and b) take the CPU strike frequency slider way down. I really seemed to get much better AI pitcher behavior this way. I could lay off early pitches looking for a good fastball and not have to worry as much about that first and second pitch off speed and breaking pitch strike. Especially when facing lesser pitchers. After all, how many non-top of the rotation starters can consistently throw their secondary pitches for strikes? Most can't do it with regularity.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
Rookie

bobloblah1980's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
Probably need a dev to confirm, but I pretty much agree. If you are swinging at change ups and sliders and 12-6 curveballs routinely, and not making good contact, the CPU pitcher's confidence in those pitches will go up. Which will make them choose to throw them more often.

Best things I did with MLB 15 to make it the most enjoyable baseball game ever was a) use dynamic difficulty for hitting, and b) take the CPU strike frequency slider way down. I really seemed to get much better AI pitcher behavior this way. I could lay off early pitches looking for a good fastball and not have to worry as much about that first and second pitch off speed and breaking pitch strike. Especially when facing lesser pitchers. After all, how many non-top of the rotation starters can consistently throw their secondary pitches for strikes? Most can't do it with regularity.
Exactly what I am saying. I mean I don't strike out a lot I believe My team is in the bottom 5 and I have been using a modified version on A&S sliders with st freq at 3 I just recently upped it from 2 maybe going back to 2 or even 1 will help

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »