Home

Hitting Question for "The Show" Veterans

This is a discussion on Hitting Question for "The Show" Veterans within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
Madden Gameplay QA

Official_Mole's Arena

OVR: 1
Hitting Question for "The Show" Veterans

Hey guys, I am in a 30 Team Online Franchise. Our league settings are played on Legend (Hitting/Pitching) and I wanted to ask a question regarding Hit Timing and hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I use Directional Hitting w/ Buttons and I find myself missing a lot of "Good" swings on balls thrown inside the strike zone. Its hard enough hitting on Legend so when I see this happen it is frustrating. Now I've had time to sit back and think "maybe its strictly based on ratings?" Which is my first guess.

So I wanted to ask the Veterans who've been playing the game a lot longer, when I miss a swing on a "Good Swing," (Inside the Strike Zone) what are the main reasons behind that?

Then I can at least let the group in the franchise know, since its been asked a ton but nobody knew what the answer was.

Thanks

QA Central Gameplay-Madden NFL

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2015, 01:01 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Hitting Question for "The Show" Veterans

I think it has to do not only with the batters stats but also the pitchers K/9 and H/9 rating. There will be times when you know exactly the pitch and the location of a ball coming to the plate and just flat out swing through it. I have always been of the understanding that it is a combination of the batters abilities and the pitchers ability in regards to his K/9 and H/9 ratings. I am sure people will say that his confidence and energy may also play a role but I think the two I mentioned above are the largest determining factors.

PSN: I-JayDee-I
Old 05-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #3
Madden Gameplay QA

Official_Mole's Arena

OVR: 1

Ahh ok. Forgot about pitcher K/9, H/9, etc.

Would it be different if I switched to Zone Hitting?

QA Central Gameplay-Madden NFL

Old 05-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official_Mole
Hey guys, I am in a 30 Team Online Franchise. Our league settings are played on Legend (Hitting/Pitching) and I wanted to ask a question regarding Hit Timing and hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I use Directional Hitting w/ Buttons and I find myself missing a lot of "Good" swings on balls thrown inside the strike zone. Its hard enough hitting on Legend so when I see this happen it is frustrating. Now I've had time to sit back and think "maybe its strictly based on ratings?" Which is my first guess.

So I wanted to ask the Veterans who've been playing the game a lot longer, when I miss a swing on a "Good Swing," (Inside the Strike Zone) what are the main reasons behind that?

Then I can at least let the group in the franchise know, since its been asked a ton but nobody knew what the answer was.

Thanks

You may be swinging to the wrong location, as do many major leaguers do in real life.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:13 PM   #5
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official_Mole

Thanks
Directional hitting is almost completely based on the attributes of the player in question with modifiers for the pitchers abilities taken into account. The only human factor is when and which button you press.

Zone( which is what I have always used) has more of the human variables. You use the left stick to "aim" your swing to the area you want the bat to go thru. This method also take into account a players and pitcher stats into the equation as well but you have more control on how and where you are swinging. You still can use button ( my choice) or analog for your actual hitting motion. Zone takes into account the PCI or plate coverage indicator to help determine what kind if any contact had been made. Think of it as a circle of area that you bat is covering. Dead in the middle of that zone is perfect contact is all of the variable are just right. A little high or low in that circle puts the ball in the air or on the ground respectively as being on the outside edges will most likely lead to a foul ball. Timing plays a key factor in this method as well. Dead center but early/late is going to take the ball off foul in most cases depending on how early/late you are.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you need more input

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

OVR: 0

As stated directional hitting is attributes based. This swing and miss occurs do to hitter ratings in combination of pitcher ratings. This is 100% why I play on All-Star. I can play Legend and reaction time to pitches is about the same, Ball strike ratio is about the same. I would rather bump sliders and play on All-Star than deal with this and selcting low and away and having my slider inside and hit the batter.

In my opinion the game is most sim like when played directional button hitting, and classic pitching (though whatever you prefer here is close to the same besides analog pitching which one can strike way too many people out with for it to be realistic) and set on All-Star. Legend feels to me that it is scripted and certain hitters flat out will not hit certain pitchers. Also Legend is more about your roster as attributes can not be overcome with great play, except on rare occasion.

I have played franchises with equal success in All-Star and Legend only difference is in Legend win or loose I feel the game deteremined outcome and not users.

All just my opinion. Besides about good timing swing and misses. They are attribute both hitter and pitcher related and occur in All-Star and Legend skill levels. They simply are more in Legend and also with certain hitters vs. certain pitchers impossible to avoid. I guess in a way that is accurate, some hitters do not hit some pitchers but I personally want to have some impact in the outcome.

I too am in a Legend online league and love it! Just sharing my view on why sometimes All-Star is not for less skilled players just a different experience.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »