Home

Throw Urgency

This is a discussion on Throw Urgency within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #9
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Throw Urgency

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmar1
It happens a LOT playing SS in RTTS. A routine grounder to short and I preload the throw to maximum strength. My guy will field the ball, balance his checkbook, straighten himself for the throw, check his Facebook updates, windup the throw, scan the crowd for babes, then throw the ball for an infield hit.
LOL :-D

htcONE [M8] 5.0 | Tapatalk

YouTube

Old 04-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #10
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
Isn't the problem with the mechanic, at least for meter throwing? I mean, if I want the guy to throw quick (and not trigger a lengthy animation) I need to load up a quick throw, not full power...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, that's not how the throw meters work. Throw animations are driven by the previous animation and the relative timing of the throw input. The power is applied to the animation selected.

That being said, I hope I can see a few videos. If this issue is happening A LOT, I'd like to see a few examples, so I can diagnose the problem.

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
No, that's not how the throw meters work. Throw animations are driven by the previous animation and the relative timing of the throw input. The power is applied to the animation selected.

That being said, I hope I can see a few videos. If this issue is happening A LOT, I'd like to see a few examples, so I can diagnose the problem.

Thanks.

Finally installed ShareFactory. Here's a clip I uploaded. Tie game, No outs, bases loaded and I am playing SS. Sharp grounder to me and I field the ball cleanly and try for a 6-2-3 double play to prevent the score. You can see the "hesitation" that happens when I try to throw home which may have caused Adam Jones to be safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQh4BcCUSio

I'll add more videos once I get the one that happens more often, a routine grounder to short and a relatively long throw to 1st with hesitation which causes the runner to be safe.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #12
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Finally installed ShareFactory. Here's a clip I uploaded. Tie game, No outs, bases loaded and I am playing SS. Sharp grounder to me and I field the ball cleanly and try for a 6-2-3 double play to prevent the score. You can see the "hesitation" that happens when I try to throw home which may have caused Adam Jones to be safe.

I'll add more videos once I get the one that happens more often, a routine grounder to short and a relatively long throw to 1st with hesitation which causes the runner to be safe.
I do see what you mean by the hesitation (animations didn't link), but from that deep, you're not likely to turn a home-to-first DP anyway; especially with Adam Jones running. I think that may be the game representing that. Home to first typically only occurs when the INF is at the cut of the grass.

I have seen some issues with lack of urgency in throwing, but I think it's been much better than previous years. I use analog throwing without the meter, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Watch me play video games

Last edited by Jr.; 04-28-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:59 PM   #13
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:

You missed the branch point in that instance. Your throw input was too late and when that happens fielders go into a throw ready animation which is that "hesitation" you saw in this instance. Notice how your still choosing the power of the throw as the fielder grabs the ball. You should pre-load your throws immediately after the ball is put in play for more urgent/better/smoother animations. In that particular situation I'm not even sure you would have thrown him out given where he was by the time the ball reached your glove.

This video illustrates it very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmAqLnhzbQ8

Last edited by Russell_SCEA; 04-28-2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:58 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
You missed the branch point in that instance. Your throw input was too late and when that happens fielders go into a throw ready animation which is that "hesitation" you saw in this instance. Notice how your still choosing the power of the throw as the fielder grabs the ball. You should pre-load your throws immediately after the ball is put in play for more urgent/better/smoother animations. In that particular situation I'm not even sure you would have thrown him out given where he was by the time the ball reached your glove.

This video illustrates it very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmAqLnhzbQ8
I do see what you mean. I will try to find a better example to upload if I see it happen.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:57 AM   #15
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0

I've started noticing recently a lack of urgency from my fielders, particularly on the relay. I almost always pre-load, especially on the relay, but guys keep on acting like they don't already know what base they are throwing to. Meanwhile CPU relays are nice and snappy when the throw hits the relay man properly. I'll try taking some videos. Hopefully I remember.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2015, 02:49 AM   #16
Rookie

clemson99's Arena

OVR: 0

Check my catcher out on this play

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »