Home

Throw Urgency

This is a discussion on Throw Urgency within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2015, 05:49 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Throw Urgency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
There have been multiple tutorials over the years. One of the past video tutorials was referenced earlier in this very thread. I myself have posted explanations multiple times on OS concerning the branching animation system. I believe this feature was "on the back of the box" for a couple of iterations too. Maybe we need to do a better/different job of emphasizing the mechanic if it is still a mystery...? .
Well I've watched the so-called tutorial earlier in this thread and I spent about 10 minutes googling and I still have no idea what branching even means and I still don't know how to do a quick throw reliably.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:56 PM   #34
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
And since we are already way off topic, I'll have to be even more brief answering your bonus question...no, that is not what caused that bug.
Thanks for this. I appreciate your time.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:06 AM   #35
MVP

iLLWiLL's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
As I said earlier, anecdotal experiences are not that helpful when trying to diagnose these problems. Please try to capture a video. In the meantime, Ramone posted a great tutorial video earlier in the thread. Check it out. I think there may be a couple of more out there too. Track those down.
No offense man. But just because videos aren't [available] for when this kind of stuff happens doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I had complained of this myself last year (and it obviously still exists in this year's game), but some people (not saying you, Woodweaver) react as though we are making things up or exaggerating. Makes me wonder if we all have the same game, lol.

I know Russell had posted a YouTube video on the throwing mechanic, but honestly that video didn't teach me anything about how the throwing mechanic works. (Plus, that was MLB 10, the meters aren't even the same anymore, if I'm not mistaken.)

That leads to a bigger problem I have, being that MLB15 is really like my "sophomore year" -- and that's documentation. I know game companies are cutting costs by no longer printing manuals, and that's fine. But it would be extremely valuable to me if there was a write-up or video tutorial on topics like: how the zone hitting/PCI mechanic works, how the pitching mechanics works (e.g., using the pitching meter), how to use classic & default baserunning, how to use manual fielding (& throwing), etc. To add to that, I think it would be GREAT if a 'Practice Mode' was available for fielding, throwing, and pitching!!! I'd rather learn in practice than "on the job" during games, making errors, losing, and killing my Dynamic-difficulty rating, lol

Anyways, hope this didn't come across the wrong way, or as "destructive criticism". I love the game, it's my favorite sports game. I think all of our feedback is important in improving in the future

Last edited by iLLWiLL; 04-30-2015 at 01:12 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2015, 01:43 AM   #36
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL
No offense man. But just because videos aren't [available] for when this kind of stuff happens doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I had complained of this myself last year (and it obviously still exists in this year's game), but some people (not saying you, Woodweaver) react as though we are making things up or exaggerating. Makes me wonder if we all have the same game, lol.

I know Russell had posted a YouTube video on the throwing mechanic, but honestly that video didn't teach me anything about how the throwing mechanic works. (Plus, that was MLB 10, the meters aren't even the same anymore, if I'm not mistaken.)

That leads to a bigger problem I have, being that MLB15 is really like my "sophomore year" -- and that's documentation. I know game companies are cutting costs by no longer printing manuals, and that's fine. But it would be extremely valuable to me if there was a write-up or video tutorial on topics like: how the zone hitting/PCI mechanic works, how the pitching mechanics works (e.g., using the pitching meter), how to use classic & default baserunning, how to use manual fielding (& throwing), etc. To add to that, I think it would be GREAT if a 'Practice Mode' was available for fielding, throwing, and pitching!!! I'd rather learn in practice than "on the job" during games, making errors, losing, and killing my Dynamic-difficulty rating, lol

Anyways, hope this didn't come across the wrong way, or as "destructive criticism". I love the game, it's my favorite sports game. I think all of our feedback is important in improving in the future

You are missing the point.

If you want these issues fixed, supplying a video is key to making that happen. I need to see what someone is talking about. Oftentimes there is not a bug, it is simply a misunderstanding of the system or interface. If it is a real bug, then a video helps to narrow down the possible cause(s). Many claim that this issue presents itself "A LOT". This claim, along with the ease of capturing in-game video, would lead me to believe that there should be an abundance of video examples available.

I'll leave it to you to draw your own conclusions as to why this does not seem to be the case.

Last edited by Woodweaver; 04-30-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:01 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
To add to that, I think it would be GREAT if a 'Practice Mode' was available for fielding, throwing, and pitching!!! I'd rather learn in practice than "on the job" during games, making errors, losing, and killing my Dynamic-difficulty rating, lol
There is something like this, of sorts. Going into the community challenges section you can set up a repeatable fielding situation with the autohit option and just practice it, with whatever options and sliders you want. There's no need to publish what you create in there if you don't want to, either.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:06 AM   #38
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
There is something like this, of sorts. Going into the community challenges section you can set up a repeatable fielding situation with the autohit option and just practice it, with whatever options and sliders you want. There's no need to publish what you create in there if you don't want to, either.

Excellent point. That being said, a more formalized practice mode might be the next logical step...
Old 04-30-2015, 06:51 AM   #39
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:

You are playing the game on a PS4. If you have an issue there should never be a reason to not have video. The game has replay where you can record any play after it happens. The PS4 has built in ways to record that play. Hell you can even press the share button and automatically save the last 15 minutes so you don't even have to go to replay.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #40
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:

The game manual is located in the XMB menu and there is a very detailed strategy guide in the pause menu as well. The strategy guide details how all the hitting and pitching mechanics work.

On the subject of fielding the underlying mechanics did not change the game still and will always use "throw ready" animations if you miss your branch point. In MLB The Show you should pre-load your throw the moment you know where you want to go with the ball. The longer you wait the worsen animation sets you will have access to and if you wait to long you'll miss those animations altogether and use a throw ready animation.

You can always go to youtube, google, theshownation, and OS and just do a search for the areas of the game your unfamiliar with and see what pops up in the search.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »