Home

Throw Urgency

This is a discussion on Throw Urgency within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Madden Gameplay QA

Official_Mole's Arena

OVR: 1
Throw Urgency

So real quick before I dive into this...game looks great and Online plays far better than in years past. For the first time in my baseball gaming history I am in a league and having fun.

With that being said, one major issue I find consistently is the lack of urgency throwing from one base to another.

One example (and one I've used a ton Online) is when a base runner is on 2nd Base and there are 0-1 Outs. What I'll do is take a big lead at 2nd (since you can see the SS or 2B on pick offs, its easy to get that lead) and I'll bunt. Right after the bunt, I fully commit the base runner to round 3rd and go home. Why? Because by the time my opponent throws to 1st, then throws home, my runner has scored.

Now when this happens to me, I'm spamming the X button to throw home because I KNOW my opponents going to round 3rd as well and go home, but my 1st baseman does a silly animation after catching the ball that forces my to wait 2-3 seconds before he can throw.

This is becoming an issue to the point where if you can get a guy on base (who has decent speed), you might as well bunt and commit 2 bases because the 1st baseman doesn't have the urgency to throw the ball as soon as he catches it.

Anyone else have any experiences like this?

Thanks,
Mole

QA Central Gameplay-Madden NFL

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Throw Urgency

It happens A LOT. Outfielders doing a little hop skip and lazy throw while opponents are speeding around the bases (yes i preloaded the bullet throw)

Or the catcher coming up with the passed ball, and taking time to pat the ball in his glove before firing to second base.......it would never happen.

Actually makes me scream out loud at the TV. It's rather embarrassing.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #3
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

I'm pretty sure that can be considered 'cheesing' by doing that online, lol.

Anyway, no reason to spam X (especially if you have throw cancelling on - it just resets the throw every 2 presses). Just simply preload it, and I mean, press X as soon as your pitcher (or whoever) releases the throw to first. And situations like this are perfect for using throw cancelling... if you want, you can cancel the throw to first, and tag an over-aggressive runner rounding third, or you can redirect the throw to home.

I'm in the process of making a "tutorial" video on assisted fielding, that covers preloading, throw cancelling, and fielding angles. There's one play in particular that is similar to what you're describing. It's been a slow go, since I've been busy, but I plan to have it up soon.

htcONE [M8] 5.0 | Tapatalk

YouTube

Old 04-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
Pro

OVR: 6

It happens a LOT playing SS in RTTS. A routine grounder to short and I preload the throw to maximum strength. My guy will field the ball, balance his checkbook, straighten himself for the throw, check his Facebook updates, windup the throw, scan the crowd for babes, then throw the ball for an infield hit.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've had something similar happen to me in RTTS with my 2nd basemen. If there are 0-1 outs and a runner on first, then the batter hits a slow roller that forces me to charge the ball, my guy will field the grounder, tag out the runner who is running right in front of me, keep running towards the pitcher's mound, show the umpire the ball, then finally throw the ball to 1st. The process between tagging the runner out and throwing the ball to 1st takes like 3 seconds, which is a ton of time when someone is sprinting to first trying to stay out of a double play.

I have also noticed my guy getting stuck in fancy fielding animations when I'm trying to turn 2 where my guy will wait on the ball to come to him, back hand it for no reason other than to look cool, then throw the ball submarine style to whichever base I tell him too. It has cost me several double play opportunities. The same animation also affected me whenever I got subbed in to play SS one game of spring training. My dude threw a submarine style rainbow to 1st base which would have been called an error if David Ortiz wasn't the guy running down the line lol

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
Banned

jergiants's Arena

OVR: 0

I agree a lot of the times the infielders do some kind of double pump before their throw, even when you hold the throw button. When you're trying to turn a double play this should never happen. The pitcher also does it an a slow chopper back to him when he should be hurrying the throw.

The outfielders also do animations that show no urgency, double pumping, leaning against walls, all sorts of things, all the while runners are tagging up from second to home. It's ridiculous.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:45 PM   #7
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Any videos?
Old 04-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

Isn't the problem with the mechanic, at least for meter throwing? I mean, if I want the guy to throw quick (and not trigger a lengthy animation) I need to load up a quick throw, not full power...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »