Home

Okay, we have to talk about it. Changeups.

This is a discussion on Okay, we have to talk about it. Changeups. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Okay, we have to talk about it. Changeups.

The changeup usually has a little dip out of the pitcher's hand, which helps identify it. Early in the count, I look for a changeup and do my best to react to a fastball. If I'm ahead in the count, our have two strikes, I'm sitting on a fastball. If the pitcher throws a well placed changeup on two strikes, I'm tipping my cap on the way back to the dugout.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
X marks the spot

zephyr13's Arena

OVR: 5

Just a thought, but an offset camera view might help you notice the change in velocity between the fastball and change up.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yes SCEA intentionally did make the big speed difference in the change-up and fast ball to act like real life. Ramone spoke of this in an interview. Well they made their point. But it is too much. I am waiting for sean jeezy pitch edits. If it did not dip like a curve ball and every pitcher did not fall in love with it, it would be ok. But have you noticed the CPU lay dead for your changed up and it does not break like the cpu.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

There was recently another thread on this topic and I think the gist was "there's nothing to see here."

Honestly, my approach is to use Classic Catcher for my camera and lay off stuff that looks thigh high coming in, as it will often break out of the zone. That means I'll take a few low FB, but I lay off a lot of bad sinkers, changes, and breaking balls with this general rule.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #13
Rookie

ZoltanZ's Arena

The change up is by far the most difficult pitch to hit and its rather annoying. You can get a fastball and a change up in the same spot, they look exactly the same but the change up is 15+ mph slower and impossible to hold back on. I have gotten to the point where I hit a lot of fastballs oppo but I still cant time up the change up consistently, which i think is ridiculous.

In my franchise last night, I played the Cubs and Wood threw 10 change ups in a row at one point. His change up confidence was maxed. I knew it was coming and still couldnt hit it.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:58 PM   #14
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

Agreed on the change-up difficulty this year, even when I can connect -- which is rare -- I'm waaay out in front and end up pulling one down the line. I keep thinking I'll eventually get adjusted but it hasn't happened yet.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

I haven't do so yet but has anyone tried messing with sliders a bit maybe consistency? Would that make it a little less likely to be thrown in that perfect spot right below the knees?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2015, 03:26 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsman
I haven't do so yet but has anyone tried messing with sliders a bit maybe consistency? Would that make it a little less likely to be thrown in that perfect spot right below the knees?
I have zeroed consistency it does nothing because at the end of the day the placement is not the issue it's the fact that everyone seems to drop 15-20 mph off of their fastballs. I'm pretty sure willards roster set will address the effectiveness of the change. I think it would be a lot more hitable if it were not such a drastic speed change all the time.

PSN: I-JayDee-I

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »