Home

The Offseason in franchise mode is fantastic this year

This is a discussion on The Offseason in franchise mode is fantastic this year within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 24
The Offseason in franchise mode is fantastic this year

I just got eliminated from the playoffs last night, and I'm running through offseason stuff right now. I'm almost done with the offseason. Just exploring possible trades for lefties, since I have very few on my team (Mets).

I really can't put into words just how superb everything is, across the board. The free agency/negotiation process is very easy and allows me to find the players I need, and match and outbid other teams easily. It is also done in a way that is very intuitive and interesting. Every pending player and free agent is all on one screen, in one place, and I can see everything going.

The AI for player/team decision making is also outstanding. Teams are appropriately making modifications to their roster, and making realistic trades/acquisitions. Some players are holding out for free agency, others are signing in the early negotiations. Big players are holding out for better offers. Lower tier players are being ignored until the better ones are signed (eg: the best free agents are the first ones locked up)

It is an area of the game that was so lackluster in previous years, with a lot of questionable AI decisions and disorganized functionality.

This year, not only is everything flowing more realistically, but the entertainment value is as high as its ever been. I'm really getting into competing against other teams for marquee players, and I've never really enjoyed the offseason in any previous games (not just The Show... any baseball games).

This area of franchise mode is phenomenal, in my opinion.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-16-2015, 05:24 PM   #2
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: The Offseason in franchise mode is fantastic this year

I am so with you on this. I actually simmed a franchise ahead to the post season stuff. Saved the game and run through the off season stuff for practice. I have run thru it like 5 times and keep getting great results.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 05-16-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
Rookie

Fours's Arena

OVR: 0

You're right, it's improved greatly, just remember to edit every pitcher under 28 to avoid future problems.

For all pitchers, regress velocity(I do 4 points/season) or else every progressing pitcher will reach 99, and throw crazy heat. For very young pitcher throwing less than 90, I allow velocity to progress to age 22 or so.

For all generated players entering your franchise through the draft, you'll want to decrease their potential, there's an excellent thread on here will details and opinions on how it's best to do it.

If you don't do this, a few things will happen:

1. Hitting/Pitching balance, if left alone, pitchers will dominate hitters in later years. In my first franchise, I had a player win the batting title with an average in the .270's

2. Facing insane heat from all pitchers, with huge velocity gaps to their changeups. It gets very noticeable around year 3-4.

2. Salary control, inflated pitcher overalls cause teams to fill their budget and stops them from signing Free Agents, you'll end up with superstars unsigned in the off-season.

3. Roster imbalance, some CPU teams will carry 15 pitchers because they weigh each players value based on rating(or contract) more than need. This leaves a 2 man bench, and causes some very strange in game substitution behavior.

It doesn't take as long as it sounds like it will, and better to do it each year than have to do them all later.

Old 05-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #4
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

Is there an easy way to find the new draftees now?
Old 05-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
Rookie

Fours's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjackson
Is there an easy way to find the new draftees now?
If I remember, I take a picture of the draft recap screen page by page with my phone.

Otherwise in Manage Roster I sort by age, and then look for guys that haven't progressed.

It's also a good time to fix weird looking generated players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-17-2015, 12:29 AM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fours
You're right, it's improved greatly, just remember to edit every pitcher under 28 to avoid future problems.

For all pitchers, regress velocity(I do 4 points/season) or else every progressing pitcher will reach 99, and throw crazy heat. For very young pitcher throwing less than 90, I allow velocity to progress to age 22 or so.

For all generated players entering your franchise through the draft, you'll want to decrease their potential, there's an excellent thread on here will details and opinions on how it's best to do it.

If you don't do this, a few things will happen:

1. Hitting/Pitching balance, if left alone, pitchers will dominate hitters in later years. In my first franchise, I had a player win the batting title with an average in the .270's

2. Facing insane heat from all pitchers, with huge velocity gaps to their changeups. It gets very noticeable around year 3-4.

2. Salary control, inflated pitcher overalls cause teams to fill their budget and stops them from signing Free Agents, you'll end up with superstars unsigned in the off-season.

3. Roster imbalance, some CPU teams will carry 15 pitchers because they weigh each players value based on rating(or contract) more than need. This leaves a 2 man bench, and causes some very strange in game substitution behavior.

It doesn't take as long as it sounds like it will, and better to do it each year than have to do them all later.

Is it really that bad? lol

This is the kinda stuff that makes me stray away from franchise mode. The progression never seems to work correctly
Old 05-17-2015, 12:41 AM   #7
Rookie

Fours's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts50
Is it really that bad? lol

This is the kinda stuff that makes me stray away from franchise mode. The progression never seems to work correctly
It sounds bad, but really it's 2 small things that create a huge mess, and it really doesn't take that long to fix if you do it each season.

Even if you just knocked pitcher potential down and lived with insane velocity it would be okay, it's the pitcher overalls that "break" the league.

Position player progression is very good, to improve it I'll pick a few CF/SS/2B from the draft and switch their speed and Stealing attributes (there's a lot of guys with 50 speed, 90 stealing, whereas real young players usually have 90 speed, 50 Stealing ability)
Old 05-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
Rookie

GoRebs's Arena

OVR: 1

Hey Fours could please post a link to the thread you are talking about? Thank you in advance! :-)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »