Home

Draft Class Potentials

This is a discussion on Draft Class Potentials within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2015, 09:16 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Draft Class Potentials

The potentials in the draft classes are out of line. I have my Braves franchise, and I was settling in for a long rebuild. I chose to sim my drafts as to not fill my roster with A quality prospects, but opening the window to sign the players picked, I got 3 A potentials. A SP, 2B, and a 3B. I also have a B potential LF who's two years away. Being that there's 33 90 players out of the box, it seems a bit odd to have classes that are loaded with A's.

Then there's the roster update today. A catcher in the Dodgers organization got put into the game with A potential. Consensus is he's not even a top 10 prospect for the Dodgers. Why? Tommy La Stella has been sporting B potential since last year. Remember Brett Jackson?

It just seems strange that a game that is so conservative with ratings out of the box as to put Freddie Freeman at an 82 has classes where it seems like three rounds full of players can obtain an 82 rating. When Freeman is right around the 10th best player in terms of WAR in his class. Maybe it's me because I rate conservatively doing rosters. But out of the box, it seems like current day 80-99 players are solid everyday players. But when you get into building your franchise, you can easily stack AA and AAA with a full roster of them. Don't get me started with how OSM ranked Astro prospects. I think 25 ended up with B rankings. I simmed a season with teams made up of entirely 99, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, and 40 players. Then I came up with the average performance across stats for categories that are independent of others around them (HR, K, BB, AVG), while adjusting for at bats across the board (99 team would obviously have more than the 40). Then applied scouting grades once the ratings which correlated with the league average were calculated, and my rerates ended being nearly as conservative as out of the box. For the Cubs, Bryant landed at 93. Schwarber, Almora, McKinney all came out high 70s. Those 3 would undoubtedly be A's if the Dodger catcher got an A rated potential. But what do you think?

(If you're curious about my experiment, here are the results for batting average and HRs. 99s .320-52; 90s .310-42; 80s .278-34; 70s .264-26; 60s .249-20; 50s .233-12; 40s .210-7; 30s .193-5.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Draft Class Potentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by braves_94
The potentials in the draft classes are out of line. I have my Braves franchise, and I was settling in for a long rebuild. I chose to sim my drafts as to not fill my roster with A quality prospects, but opening the window to sign the players picked, I got 3 A potentials. A SP, 2B, and a 3B. I also have a B potential LF who's two years away. Being that there's 33 90 players out of the box, it seems a bit odd to have classes that are loaded with A's.
I must have gotten a trash class because by the time my Marlins picked (25th overall), there was like one player of any interest...and he was 21 year old with an insanely long ETA (now THAT is what's out of control, imo).

I just simmed the rest. Got nothing but C's for the rest except for a D scrub in the 7th round.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #3
MVP

Syce's Arena

OVR: 0

ya i havent seen any A potential players in any of my drafts.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
Rookie

kevin_bondra's Arena

OVR: 0

In my last draft with the Rockies (picking 2nd overall) I got one A and 2 B's. The rest were C/D filler that won't turn out to be much. Seems OK to me, although that's only through 1 draft.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »