Home

Directional Hitting Guide

This is a discussion on Directional Hitting Guide within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #401
Rookie

buziii's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Directional Hitting Guide

I'm reading this thread for the first time.

Props to TheWarmWind for the knowledge bestowed herein!

I'm a more casual player and have never gotten into the nuances of this game. I just for fun and depend on the dynamic difficulty to keep the difficulty in my fun zone.

I've always used directional hitting, but I rarely use any influence. I've just tried to be patient and wait for a good pitch to hit. That works to my satisfaction, but I'm going to try to use the knowledge in this thread to see if I can improve my hitting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2018, 12:01 AM   #402
MVP

bravesfan1984's Arena

OVR: 6

Have to give you props for this incredible guide. It has elevated my hitting game big time. It feels so nice to actually be able to hit successfully. Incredible work and really appreciate you sharing your knowledge!

Old 03-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #403
Pro

OVR: 1

Curious if the power swing part of the directional hitting has changed any? I kinda got the impression that it was more rewarding to use it on this year's version from some of the streams.

Awesome guide by the way..... I printed and going to use with my RTTS player this year. I've always used zone but want to experiment with this.... especially with attribute categories that are locked/capped.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #404
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterskin
Curious if the power swing part of the directional hitting has changed any? I kinda got the impression that it was more rewarding to use it on this year's version from some of the streams.
I couldn't tell you. I just power swing sometimes, and now power + down swing. I don't know if it's different/more rewarding. It's always seemed worthwhile to me, especially for players with good contact ratings (regards of power rating)...but even for low ratings...those guys have tiny PCIs anyway it seems...might as well swing harder. Take a big swing, let the dog out. See what happens. Find your style with your players.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #405
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by taterskin

Awesome guide by the way..... I printed and going to use with my RTTS player this year. I've always used zone but want to experiment with this.... especially with attribute categories that are locked/capped.
Well all I can tell you is that I've only used it twice so far this year. Once was a big whiff, and the other time was a really high flyout. If you're going to use it though, let me know how it is.

Glad you like the guide! I really need to get around to those edits sometime soon if people are bothering to print it out as a reference. There is nothing egregiously wrong, just a few minor errors or inconsistencies that need to be cleaned up. I just... ugh, I just don't want to do it, so I've been avoiding it. If I'm free this next Sunday coming up, I'll try and take a stab at it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2018, 12:20 PM   #406
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Well all I can tell you is that I've only used it twice so far this year. Once was a big whiff, and the other time was a really high flyout. If you're going to use it though, let me know how it is.

Glad you like the guide! I really need to get around to those edits sometime soon if people are bothering to print it out as a reference. There is nothing egregiously wrong, just a few minor errors or inconsistencies that need to be cleaned up. I just... ugh, I just don't want to do it, so I've been avoiding it. If I'm free this next Sunday coming up, I'll try and take a stab at it.

Post an "errata post", you know like how books "correct" error after printing?

Then folks can print that out, too, to have the lastest thinking/theories/observations.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:39 PM   #407
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Post an "errata post", you know like how books "correct" error after printing?

Then folks can print that out, too, to have the lastest thinking/theories/observations.

So far, my old 2K strategy of when to power up is working for me. I use it in 2-0 and 3-1 counts, and with 2 outs and no runners in scoring position.

Then I focus on one pitch and a location. If I get it, I swing, if not, an easy choice to take it, even if it is a strike. So even in the second circumstance, with 2 outs, I go back to normal with two strikes.

My goal every inning is to see 15 pitches. It forces me to try to take walks. Plus, knowing I get to power up if I get that hitter’s count helps encourage me to take more pitches.

I do miss 2K’s hitter’s eye that would occasionally give you the pitch and general location (up, down, right, left) just before release. The better the hitter, the more often you got this. This provided better hitters more opportunities to find good pitches and avoid bad ones. Guys like Pujols had that knack (due to extensive film work and study) to know what is coming. The results were Pujols being able to draw more walks than an average hitter, as well as hit better.

Sometimes you got an outline around the entire box along with the pitch type. If I got that on a fastball, I’m powering up even with two strikes.

So this is a little more challenging to feel like each hitter has a different approach. But I’m really liking the feel I’m getting from the directional hitting so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #408
MVP

tyler28's Arena

if i just want to press the button for my swing to get the best results, is directional the way to go? i dont want to mess w the analog stick just old school baseball based on timing and rating

Last edited by tyler28; 03-26-2018 at 04:45 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »