Home

Player power ratings, home runs, etc.

This is a discussion on Player power ratings, home runs, etc. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2017, 09:16 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Player power ratings, home runs, etc.

I know one of the most discussed topics in this year's game has been regarding home runs, both distances and frequency. And let me be clear, this is in no way intended to be a discussion about a matter to which there are already multiple threads dedicated to such a discussion. However, for anyone interested in toning down the power that (your) hitters have in the game, I've implemented a system that I think will give me the desired (realistic stats) that I've been trying to achieve.

I'm 107 games into my franchise and while it's not completely off the chart, I'm on pace to set a new team home run record by the end of the year, breaking the Mariners mark of 266 set in 1997. The NL record is held by Houston (249 I believe) in 2000. I play as the Cubs and naturally I have some boppers. By themselves it is reasonable to assume that it is at least possible for Schwarber, Bryant, and Rizzo to hit 40+ home runs in a season. However, in early August the aforementioned hitters are number one, two, and three in home runs in the entire league (both AL and NL).

Schwarber has 44 (on pace for 67), Bryant has 33 (on pace for 50), and Rizzo has 32 (on pace for 48). I also have a number of players on pace for somewhere around 20-30.

I've played on both Hall of Fame and All-Star, used directional as well as zone. I'd adjusted sliders until I'm blue in the face and believe me, since starting to play this game in 2008 I can say that in my experience I'm just hitting too many home runs. Changing difficulties and sliders can help but it always affects other things that I don't want it to. The game plays absolutely perfectly except for my elevated home run totals. So that's literally the ONLY thing I want to change. I like my walks, I like how the pitcher throws (on All-Star) and I like how the CPU defense plays on All-Star. So in order to fix this without constantly tinkering with sliders I'm making changes to player power numbers manually.

This requires attention from time-to-time and will likely turn some people off because it may be seen as too tedious. However, I really don't believe it will be. I have a formula and I'll post below what I'm doing in case anyone has a similar experience and wants to lower their power a little without major slider adjustments.

Players that reach a 70 in their power total will begin to have reductions in their number. If a player's power attribute falls between 70-89 I am lowering that number by 10%. So if a player has a 78 in power vs lefties, I would reduce it 8 points (10% = 7.8, rounded to 8). If a player is anywhere between 90-99 he is given a 15% reduction in that power category.

However, the catch is that no player can ever be reduced by a total of 15 or more, ever. So essentially I'm lowering my maximum power attribute for my players from a possible of 99 to 85. (Rounding up one to 85). This will undoubtedly reduce home run totals while not affecting other areas of the game.

I know it's probably a little much for some people but for me it's the best solution to the issue I've had with the game this year. Kyle Schwarber had a 99 power vs righties in my game and he was mashing home runs at a ridiculous clip. Again, I know a lot of suggestions will be to lower power, or change difficulties, I've done all that and have a tremendously large sample size. In my opinion, the only real solution is to hit on All-Star with these tweaks.

Keep in mind this is only for my players as I have no problem with home run totals for my opponent's hitters (I pitch on Hall of Fame using classic pitching). I really believe the problem is that power ratings are just too overdone this year.

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else might be interested. Please, please, please do not let this turn into a, "I'm not experiencing this," or "too many home runs has ruined the game," thread.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2017, 12:09 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Player power ratings, home runs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I know one of the most discussed topics in this year's game has been regarding home runs, both distances and frequency. And let me be clear, this is in no way intended to be a discussion about a matter to which there are already multiple threads dedicated to such a discussion. However, for anyone interested in toning down the power that (your) hitters have in the game, I've implemented a system that I think will give me the desired (realistic stats) that I've been trying to achieve.

I'm 107 games into my franchise and while it's not completely off the chart, I'm on pace to set a new team home run record by the end of the year, breaking the Mariners mark of 266 set in 1997. The NL record is held by Houston (249 I believe) in 2000. I play as the Cubs and naturally I have some boppers. By themselves it is reasonable to assume that it is at least possible for Schwarber, Bryant, and Rizzo to hit 40+ home runs in a season. However, in early August the aforementioned hitters are number one, two, and three in home runs in the entire league (both AL and NL).

Schwarber has 44 (on pace for 67), Bryant has 33 (on pace for 50), and Rizzo has 32 (on pace for 48). I also have a number of players on pace for somewhere around 20-30.

I've played on both Hall of Fame and All-Star, used directional as well as zone. I'd adjusted sliders until I'm blue in the face and believe me, since starting to play this game in 2008 I can say that in my experience I'm just hitting too many home runs. Changing difficulties and sliders can help but it always affects other things that I don't want it to. The game plays absolutely perfectly except for my elevated home run totals. So that's literally the ONLY thing I want to change. I like my walks, I like how the pitcher throws (on All-Star) and I like how the CPU defense plays on All-Star. So in order to fix this without constantly tinkering with sliders I'm making changes to player power numbers manually.

This requires attention from time-to-time and will likely turn some people off because it may be seen as too tedious. However, I really don't believe it will be. I have a formula and I'll post below what I'm doing in case anyone has a similar experience and wants to lower their power a little without major slider adjustments.

Players that reach a 70 in their power total will begin to have reductions in their number. If a player's power attribute falls between 70-89 I am lowering that number by 10%. So if a player has a 78 in power vs lefties, I would reduce it 8 points (10% = 7.8, rounded to 8). If a player is anywhere between 90-99 he is given a 15% reduction in that power category.

However, the catch is that no player can ever be reduced by a total of 15 or more, ever. So essentially I'm lowering my maximum power attribute for my players from a possible of 99 to 85. (Rounding up one to 85). This will undoubtedly reduce home run totals while not affecting other areas of the game.

I know it's probably a little much for some people but for me it's the best solution to the issue I've had with the game this year. Kyle Schwarber had a 99 power vs righties in my game and he was mashing home runs at a ridiculous clip. Again, I know a lot of suggestions will be to lower power, or change difficulties, I've done all that and have a tremendously large sample size. In my opinion, the only real solution is to hit on All-Star with these tweaks.

Keep in mind this is only for my players as I have no problem with home run totals for my opponent's hitters (I pitch on Hall of Fame using classic pitching). I really believe the problem is that power ratings are just too overdone this year.

Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else might be interested. Please, please, please do not let this turn into a, "I'm not experiencing this," or "too many home runs has ruined the game," thread.
Quality contribution, well done!

Being HR's and doubles seem to be largely intertwined with the power rating, my first thought is what impact does this have on doubles. Can you share your experience regarding doubles before and after implementing this methodology?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Player power ratings, home runs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofbaseball
Quality contribution, well done!

Being HR's and doubles seem to be largely intertwined with the power rating, my first thought is what impact does this have on doubles. Can you share your experience regarding doubles before and after implementing this methodology?
I was just thinking this! I seem to have this no doubles/only homers happen a lot when it should not be. Kinda flies in the face of actual "ball physics".

Also, TC, great contribution.

- Rick Wise

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »