Home

MLB the show 19 or BUST

This is a discussion on MLB the show 19 or BUST within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-11-2018, 11:12 PM   #33
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: MLB the show 19 or BUST

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrangeVol4Life
2 games. One is a franchise edition (offline and online). The other is for diamond dynasty, road to the show, etc. Sony wouldn't be making 2 completely different games where they'd have to start from scratch on one. The cost and time wouldn't be a burden. I read once that discs game producers use cost around a dollar compared to much more expensive cartridges used by Nintendo. The gameplay, sound, physics, and graphics would be shared. The main difference would be the options and free space to add additional content and help the patches be more effective.
It's 3 games. Franchise edition, RTTS/DD edition, and the combo game that has all of the game modes in it. (which is what we have now) There has to be the combo game because if not then you're going to lose sales, because no fan is going to want to buy two copies of a game ($90 using your pricing earlier) to play all the modes when they could pay $60 before and play them.

Cost and time would definitely be a burden. If you are developing 3 different skus of the same game, no matter what is shared, there is increased costs. There has to be. It goes beyond the cost of a disc, its marketing, packaging, and production of that game. It's not as simple as you're making/wanting it to be.

And I ask again, has there been any mention anywhere that space is an issue currently? I've never seen it. Just because there is more space doesn't automatically equate to the fact that the developers will be able to fill all that space, because time is a factor/burden, because its finite. They still only get roughly 10 months to develop the game.

And again, what does SDS gain from doing this? There is nothing to suggest that doing 3 different skus is going to increase sales. Again, they would be increasing costs and lowering profit margin for what?

And if the driving force behind wanting multiple skus is because the devs only care about DD and microtransactions, what makes you think they would add everything that we want into the franchise edition if they already don't care about it? Wouldn't they just keep it at minimal upgrades and focus more attention the DD version and how to maximize microtransactions?

There seems to be a line of thinking that multiple skus will result in everyone getting what they want and being happy, and I just don't see that being the case.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 10-11-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:15 PM   #34
Pro

BigOrangeVol4Life's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Respectfully, I think this is a horrible idea. There are too many people that dabble in multiple game modes and making them BUY 2 GAMES would make them extremely pissed off. Selling the franchise-only version would be bad for Sony because that title would be largely absent of the microtransactions that are driving development. Producing 2 games would raise their overhead considerably. Make them patch 2 titles. Support 2 games. Hire more people when it's already widely speculated on that they don't really have quite enough people to manage/support a single game.

The cost of the physical media to put the game on is nowhere near the crux of the issue as that's a relatively minor cost and more and more sales are digital anyway.

This whole discussion sort of reminds me of when a fan of a particular team schemes up a really lopsided trade that benefits his team and leaves the other team with absolutely no incentive to do it at all. In other words, I don't see what Sony's getting out of the '2 separate games' idea.
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Sony make 2 completely different games either the way you have 2k producing NBA2k and Playgrounds. Sell "MLB The Show: Franchise" for $59.95 and "MLB The Show: Role player" for the same price. That way Sony doesn't hurt their profits, franchise guys like myself can choose not to buy the other fluff, and Sony can add new features. After a while, everything gets stale especially when it has problems year after year. Why not deliver fresh blood and generate all sorts of new interest?
Old 10-11-2018, 11:21 PM   #35
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrangeVol4Life
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Sony make 2 completely different games either the way you have 2k producing NBA2k and Playgrounds. Sell "MLB The Show: Franchise" for $59.95 and "MLB The Show: Role player" for the same price. That way Sony doesn't hurt their profits, franchise guys like myself can choose not to buy the other fluff, and Sony can add new features. After a while, everything gets stale especially when it has problems year after year. Why not deliver fresh blood and generate all sorts of new interest?
What about people that want to play both? They now would have to pay $120 to play all the modes when before they only had to pay $60.

The minute they decide to develop a separate game or multiple skus their profit margins are hurt. 2 games = increased costs.

And why would SDS compete against themselves, which is essentially what they would be doing by developing 2 separate games.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-12-2018, 01:18 AM   #36
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

What happens when the offline version only sells like 1/3rd or less the amount of the online version? Be careful what you wish for with this 2 version idea.

Plus it’s just a bad idea for the reasons others mentioned. If this were a viable idea, I’m sure they and every other sports franchise would’ve already done it years ago and it would be the standard, but they know people aren’t going to go for it so neither are they, and wisely so.

Last edited by jeffy777; 10-12-2018 at 05:04 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:40 AM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
After skipping '18 completely, I really hope they give me a good reason (or several) to get back on the bus. If nothing else, I've proven to myself that I can skip the game if I feel underwhelmed. I was afraid I'd cave at some point during the summer, but nope. Hoping it was just a one year hiatus tho
Exactly the same. I decided to carry on with my 2017 Franchise and skip this year and i didn't cave.

After setting their stall out with pretty much no changes to Franchise, it really wasn't worth the money for me.

I understand that they have to cater for the non details obsessed people (unlike) us but sounds like they are on the verge of losing their core audience, to an extent. The clear fact that the money is in DD is a shame.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #38
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

A lot of good input here. I just wanted to say, even though the game is flawed (basically everything in franchise, animations, crazy patch work for example), I still think it’s an amazing game and the best, most authentic sports game around.

With that said, imagine where it COULD be. Still thankful it exists because I don’t play much 2K or Madden anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2018, 02:07 AM   #39
Rookie

I just had a play almost made me wanna break my controller lol. I'm down 2-0 in Miami and Miami is batting, my pitcher about to get out of the fifth inning only allowing 2 runs and with a guy on 3rd and 2 outs I got the batter to hit a ground ball, I dove with my first baseman and snagged it and tossed it to my pitcher heading to first and the runner was called safe allowing the runner to score. I checked the replay and my pitchers foot beat the baserunners foot to the bag by a half step and there was no automatic challenge. I'm done with SDS and the show. Pathetic. Its not even fun anymore cuz us users don't have full controll. I want to see challenges at every base and I want to be the one to ask for a review, not automatic or not decided by the computer.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:44 AM   #40
Rookie

DirtBallNation's Arena

So many “little things” could be added but all they care about is Diamond dynasty. They ask to make requests in these forums but 90% of things that are requested, don’t get added. So many people are so sick of Diamond Dynasty, yet they only focus on that. Franchise could use a huge facelift but year after year, there’s only small improvements. Time to make the stand against the game unless the big changes come.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

GREEN BAY PACKERS

MILWAUKEE BUCKS

WISCONSIN BADGERS

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »