Home

Another Year of the Show Completely Wasted

This is a discussion on Another Year of the Show Completely Wasted within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2019, 08:18 PM   #81
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Another Year of the Show Completely Wasted

and if you get a clutch moment, if you have rumble ON for your controller, you'll know its clutch too. I think. I dont want my controller giving me hints so I turn the rumble off. I wish the controller would give you ''false'' rumbles when clutch moment isnt really kicking in, I'd cut it back on because I do like the idea of the sense of urgency rumbling controller creates. I just dont want to be told ''this is definitely'' a key pitch. I feel like after almost 40 years enjoying baseball, its something I should (& do) know.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2019, 10:13 PM   #82
Banned

OVR: 0

I think herein lies my issue with the game and how it generates "comebacks" in clutch situations. I mean, yes, certain players are more clutch than others no doubt, but I just don't think there should be a clutch factor at all. It skews the results of too many games. I'd either tone it down considerably or remove it altogether. That way you don't have the absurd comebacks that tend to happen in this game.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2020, 03:25 AM   #83
Pro

No.27's Arena

Just a casual observation here. Could this problem be a Roster rating issue and not necessarily a Gameplay issue. I’ve been playing with Bacon’s meticulously rated Fictional Roster all year and couldn’t for the life of me work out why hitting was more difficult (other than extreme lefty/righty splits!) in a good way. I started comparing ratings when looking at his Fictional/real life 2018 All Stars Roster and noticed the real life Red Sox clutch ratings are off the charts.

I delved deeper into the Full Minors and found Mookie + JD @99 clutch, Benni @98 clutch, Xander @90 and for heavens sake a 36 year old Pearce @94! Bacon has used the clutch rating far more judiciously with only 2 players @ 90+91 in the Top 5 teams! I don’t want to delve too much deeper but at a quick glance the Pitching clutch ratings showed the 2 rosters seem to be similar in how they handle Pitching clutch.

For what it’s worth I like the extra layer of complexity the clutch rating brings especially when it is used in the way Bacon has. It’s one of the first things I look at in a potential trade. When playing games I scout upcoming teams and if it is only one very high clutch player in a lineup I can often afford to pitch around them with men on bases. Forcing me to add extra strategy to my often lacklustre pitching is always a good thing.

Last edited by No.27; 01-01-2020 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #84

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
I think herein lies my issue with the game and how it generates "comebacks" in clutch situations. I mean, yes, certain players are more clutch than others no doubt, but I just don't think there should be a clutch factor at all. It skews the results of too many games. I'd either tone it down considerably or remove it altogether. That way you don't have the absurd comebacks that tend to happen in this game.

I would absolutely love it if clutch was removed.

I'm getting into Bill James territory here but I don't believe clutch is an actual thing in baseball to begin with so having it out of the game would be great (to me).
Old 01-01-2020, 04:05 PM   #85
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I would absolutely love it if clutch was removed.

I'm getting into Bill James territory here but I don't believe clutch is an actual thing in baseball to begin with so having it out of the game would be great (to me).
Agree 100%. Baseball is about making contact with a ball moving 100 mph towards you. It's almost impossible to control where the ball goes when you hit it coming that fast. Clutch isn't really a thing in baseball. It's just an unnecessary rating added to make the game harder and, in my opinion, a lot more unrealistic.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-01-2020, 04:38 PM   #86
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
Hopefully not.
Did this win post of 2019? It sure should have.

And man, I'm hard on games sometimes but this guy seems to take the cake. I was disappointed in NHL after NHL 15. NHL 16 was worse and I just stopped playing, haven't played it since. If the game gives you this much grief and anxiety, I'd suggest not playing it.

I've even stopped playing The Show from time to time because I was becoming angry. When I get to the point that a game makes me angry as opposed to being a stress relief, I'm done.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Old 01-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #87
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
No disrespect (which of course means copious amounts of disrespect)but you do complain a lot about the game year in and year out. It may be time to find something else to play as it doesn't seem like you will ever be satisfied with whatever SDS does with the game.
No disrespect to you my man, but where exactly does a fan and consumer supposed to release some frustrations about a product he buys. You don’t have to read and respond to it.

forum/ (ˈfɔːrəm) /
noun plural -rums or -ra (-rə)
a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest
a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine
a public meeting place for open discussion
a court; tribunal
(in South Africa) a pressure group of leaders or representatives, esp Black leaders or representatives
(in ancient Italy) an open space, usually rectangular in shape, serving as a city's marketplace and centre of public business

All that to say, a guy has to have a place to chat with people about his grievance. Let’s be real, if any of us had a surrounding community that gave a crap about any of our video game interest OS would be out of business years ago, but here we are, alone in the physical world yet connected in the digital through OS as if we were neighbors. How about instead of bashing one dude over his grievance about a no doubt flawed product, you read and move out to another thread like a professional? The Show has had some issues for a while...it stopped selling consoles a while back due to, IMO, it got to big for its own head. But hey that’s my own opinion, which last I checked...all a forum was...a collection of opinions by people who SWEAR their statements mean more than anyone else’s.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #88
MVP

Lisac's Arena

Padgoi I agree with you 110% in regards to game being scripted
Just had a game (one of many) that i was ahead 5-2 top of 8th easy DP grounder to get out of inning, booted. CPU puts up 5 after that and i end up losing 7-5
Frustrating as hell

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »