Home

Another Year of the Show Completely Wasted

This is a discussion on Another Year of the Show Completely Wasted within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #17
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Another Year of the Show Completely Wasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi
I'm sorry you only want to see the good things about the game. You should probably open up your mind a bit.
Pot, have you met kettle?
Old 11-14-2019, 02:53 PM   #18
Banned

You know what? I actually agree alot of what you said. And i love the game. The patches kill the gameplay more often then not. I do disgaree i do not thikn team rankings mean that YOU WILL DO GOOD. But if you have a high ranked team you should be alittle better you know? I thikn the game engine is poor as well

Quote:
Once again, it's November and I find myself searching for a game to play. Why? Because once again, the Show has failed to deliver for me what I would consider a realistic, organic representation of baseball. This has literally become an annual happenstance for me and the worst part is that it could EASILY be avoided. Let me list what I feel is absolutely dragging this title down, in no particular order:

Patches - I'm the kind of guy that won't play unless the game feels realistic to me. What frustrates me to NO END is when the developers release a patch, I rework my sliders, finally get to the point where I feel the game is playing well, and they release ANOTHER 20 patches up through November, all of which CLEARLY affect gameplay even thought the patch notes make no mention of it. And before some of you say that the patches don't affect gameplay, let me just say that when patch 1.22 landed, I was playing on Legend with pitch speed at 5 and it was solid. After patch 1.23, I had to raise pitch speed . . . TO TEN!!! I didn't just magically get 5 notches better. That patch CLEARLY affected gameplay, even though the patch notes didn't mention it at all. And because of that, I now have to stop, rework my DAMN SLIDERS IN NOVEMBER, PLAY MORE PRACTICE GAMES TO MAKE SURE THE DAMN SLIDERS ARE GOOD, and then continue? I'm not going through that in November when the next game releases in less than 4 months.

Team Rankings - they simply dictate too much. If you're using a team like the Yankees, guess what - you're doing well. You can play like absolute dirt, it won't matter. Your pitchers will be unhittable. You will be successful. Why? Because the Yankees are a highly ranked team.

Game Engine - honestly, I'm done with it. You can tell me until you're blue in the face that there isn't any type of mechanism involved that boosts the skill level of the losing team, but it is literally EVIDENT IN EVERY SINGLE GAME I PLAY. Now, this is NOT catchup AI, no no. The developers are too smart for that. The losing team gets a boost, it's that simple. If you're up 1-0, it's not as evident, but if you're up 2-0 or more, that's when it becomes very obvious. Umpires squeezing their zones on you. Ground balls conveniently taking tricky hops and getting past infielders. Wild pitches. Perfectly timed batted balls ALL going right to fielders for literally AN ENTIRE GAME! It doesn't matter. The losing team has a boost in ratings to make the game more competitive. It's the same if you're losing. All of a sudden, the CPU can't throw a strike (I've literally had 5 consecutive walks issues to me to try and get back in the game) or the CPU starts throwing meatballs. This isn't every 5 games. It's EVERY SINGLE GAME. The engine honestly is BROKEN. The AI needs a complete and utter overhaul because as currently constructed, the game feels about as inorganic as RBI baseball. I'm happy some of you are having fun with the game, but on Legend difficulty, the game is plain bad. And I've tried other difficulties . . . the CPU is just way too dumb for my tastes on lower levels. They play with zero urgency.

The worst part about ALL of this is that the game, every year, plays great when you first buy it, but the damn patches make it play like last year's version because the tweenie boppers complain and naturally the developers have to listen to their largest demographic to appease their DD populace. Honestly, I've had it. Another year down the tubes.

See you guys in March.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
I play on HOF and most know my approach.

I have not had to touch a slider since May.

Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Congrats boss. HoF default is too easy for some.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #20
Rookie

[quote=Padgoi;2049966322]Congrats boss. HoF default is too easy for some.

Sent from my SM-

Not a fair analysis as Armour plays directional hit / classic pitching which is harder to dominate than zone / meter that you prefer padgoi . I have used all control types this year and Imo it makes a big difference in difficulty depending on what controls you use .
Old 11-15-2019, 07:02 AM   #21
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hey chief.

Well I know it is for you. You have made that abundantly clear over the years you Legend stud!
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2019, 07:06 AM   #22
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

[quote=Brewers 15;2049966434]
Quote:

Sent from my SM-

Not a fair analysis as Armour plays directional hit / classic pitching which is harder to dominate than zone / meter that you prefer padgoi . I have used all control types this year and Imo it makes a big difference in difficulty depending on what controls you use .
Absolutely correct. And again The Show is also how you approach the game. My approach is quite different than Padgoi’s. It’s apples to oranges.

Don’t get me wrong either. The game is not perfect and I would like to see continued refinement. But I don’t share the same opinion of the game as some that it is some horrible experience or that patches ruined the game.

Quite the opposite for me. MLB 19 is easily the greatest console baseball game I have ever played. I have not stopped playing since the game dropped.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 11-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #23
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

I am sorry you feel this way.

I do personally disagree with some of the statements you made. I am not saying you are wrong as it is your opinion. My opinion does differ though.

I see wide variety in results and the rankings aren't always true. I have simmed multiple seasons and seen good teams have bad years, etc. I honestly feel like the game has gotten better with patches. I haven't had to change my settings for a while.

Have you tried reinstalling and playing the unpatched version of the game? I don't know if it would help with the over patching changing the game for you.

Yes there is still some left to be desired with this game. Better prospect classes and scouting for example. But it beats the other sports games in my opinion. Only one I consider playing year round.

Out of curiosity, do you rotate through any other games or only play baseball? I like to rotate through other genres of games to keep my sports games fresh. Never playing more than 15 games in one sport game before changing genre for a little bit.

Either way, I hope you find something you enjoy and get the game of baseball that you truly want.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 11-16-2019, 07:20 PM   #24
Rookie

Meh.. I don't take posts like this too seriously. I try to enjoy things for what they are. I love baseball, so I'll keep playing the show to get me through the winter.

If I truly hated it, there's no way I would have played all Spring and Summer, and I likely wouldn't be back in March. That's just me. Again, I'm one of the "old guys." We played Hardball 2 and Tony LaRussa baseball and had to put a giant amount of imagination (not to mention time in creating realistic rosters) to make it fun, and somehow we enjoyed it enough. Really, I never dreamed that there would be a baseball game that does what the recent editions of "The Show" does. I'm glad that there is one.

Now, that doesn't mean that SDS should be off the hook. They charge a decent amount of money for a game every year that needs 10-20 patches, and is laden with "features" that for some reason appeal to people (why, I don't understand) that just cost additional money. They owe customers their best effort for what they want in a product.

Lastly.. I think the OP may take his or her gaming a bit too seriously.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »