Home

Road to The Show difficulty

This is a discussion on Road to The Show difficulty within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-15-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Road to The Show difficulty

I know it's been said before but I'm curious if anyone can confirm. When setting the difficulty level in Road to The Show, does the level of baseball (AA, AAA, MLB) factor in the actual under-the-hood difficulty? If I'm playing on All-Star is the game actually on veteran at AA, All-Star at AAA, and Hall of Fame in the Majors?

To me this just seems crazy that it would be kind of under-the-hood and not specifically discussed by the producers and inform the user in-game. Right now I've been dabbling in Road to The Show again, although the jersey number carousel drives me absolutely insane and I've been struggling. I'm in the Majors but I'm playing on Hall of Fame settings. I'm wondering if this means I'm actually playing on Legend.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Road to The Show difficulty

We've hashed this out a lot before, but the in-game indication of this (in '19) reads as follows:

Based on the way that the PCI increases or decreases in size (given the same ratings/situation/matchup) when you go up or down a league, similar to when you change the difficulty in-game, it's pretty safe to assume that what you described in your post is correct. This is easier seen in player lock mode and not RTTS, which does behave the same way (you can jump in and out of player lock and see the PCI change size even in the same AB if you're playing an MLB matchup)

HOWEVER......we're going to need to re-evaluate how this works this yet again for '20. That's because in the middle of the '19 cycle, SDS dropped a patch which changed the way a similar situation worked in Moments mode (player lock moments, that sort of thing which functions the same as RTTS). At the time, that change only affected Moments and nothing else, and put them on the "true" difficulty level that everyone expected. The way RTTS and offline player-lock worked was untouched.

Although I don't particularly agree with the implementation of how difficulties work in RTTS, the mode is obviously popular enough that most people don't seem to care or notice - it is their most popular mode, as they've said. The good news is, Dynamic Difficulty - and freezing it as soon as I hit a good difficulty for my skill level - should still work. We've seen Dynamic in prerelease footage and I don't really see what reason they'd have to change it for '20.

Last edited by bcruise; 02-15-2020 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

This is my biggest gripe about game designers. It is just like the hundreds of comments on Warm Winds directional hitting guide. It would be nice f SDS just once would chime in and say yes that is correct or no it is not correct. I know they monitor these boards. It would just be nice to get answers to some of these things once in awhile
Old 02-16-2020, 07:40 PM   #4
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarcoux
This is my biggest gripe about game designers. It is just like the hundreds of comments on Warm Winds directional hitting guide. It would be nice f SDS just once would chime in and say yes that is correct or no it is not correct. I know they monitor these boards. It would just be nice to get answers to some of these things once in awhile
I would be hard pressed to find the thread or comment. But the Devs did confirm this was how it worked way back in the beginning. Countryboy can probably find it or knows the exact place to look. Despite our differences he knows more about this game than most. I know he doesn't play RTTS but Im sure he will chime in if he has the answer.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:47 PM   #5
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

I truly do not understand this development decision. If I'm a 58 overall and I'm playing in Double-A then why do I need to have the difficulty bumped down? My guy is in line with other players in the league in regards to ratings. If I'm now a 66 overall I should be in Triple-A, and again most of the competition will also have ratings in the 60's. Once I hit low to mid-70's I'm looking at a really good Triple-A or rookie in the Majors. It just doesn't make sense that there's any need whatsoever to alter the difficulty level for each level.

I absolutely smashed Double-A last year when I played. As in just stupid, over-the-top numbers. It was to the point that it's just unrealistic and almost not fun. I would have loved to have played a whole season in Double-A, then a whole season in Triple-A. Instead I played half the year in Double-A and moved straight to the Majors.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-17-2020, 12:56 AM   #6
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmarcoux
The screenie bcruise posted is direct from the in-game help section, so I don’t think that text would still be in the game if it wasn’t accurate, so there doesn’t seem to be a reason to doubt it. However, as bcruise so eloquently pointed out, we will need to wait and see if it’s sill in this year’s game.

Last edited by jeffy777; 02-17-2020 at 12:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:35 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 27

This game has always moved you to the MLB way too quickly.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »