Home

MLB The Show needs Online Franchise players to play Custom Leagues

This is a discussion on MLB The Show needs Online Franchise players to play Custom Leagues within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-28-2020, 10:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
MLB The Show needs Online Franchise players to play Custom Leagues

I never played Online Franchise mode in MLB The Show

I must preface this post by saying I wasn't fortunate enough to play Online Franchise mode in any of The Shows before 17. The cumbersome and slow interface was a massive turnoff (I did try) but more importantly with my terrible internet connection at the time, I was a liability.

So yes, I'm Standing On The Outside looking in. If I were to claim that the former Online Franchise mode was a load of carp, my opinion would be irrelevant and worthless and you would be 100% right in calling me out.

Online Franchise players, you need to play Custom Leagues

Call me what you will, but this is my rational explanation of why I believe that if you want to play Online Franchise mode in future versions of MLB The Show, you're going to have to play Custom Leagues.

I understand the disappointment that Custom Leagues is not OFM. Not yet. It will eventually evolve into something that will be a suitable and superior replacement to the former mode (preparation for this is obvious - multiple seasons), but it's going to take time (eg there WILL be a draft in The Show 21 or 22, the platform is in place already). Trying to squeeze too much into a release is inviting all sorts of problems (too much code to test, not enough time to test it).

The mode needed to appeal to more than just those who previously played OFM. If not, then it wouldn't have been resourced, simple as that. The sum of the combined user bases for the online and offline Franchise modes together did not compare to that of the DD user base. So it had to start with something that would appeal to all heavy users.

If you played Online Franchise mode previously, you are in the best position to steer the Custom Leagues mode in the direction it needs to go. You have all the experience of what worked in the former mode and what didn't. And you are leagues ahead of the players who have never played a league-based baseball game.

Custom Leagues feedback and telemetry data

Does a chef value more the diner who tried the meal and took the time to give honest feedback? Or the person who turned up their nose at the restaurant and kept walking?

Whose opinions and suggestions will the developers take on board to improve the game?

Those players who refuse to play the mode and therefore have no experience in what works in Custom Leagues and what doesn't?

Or those who have taken the time to play the mode, provide the devs with their quantitative gameplay data and can provide qualitative feedback based on their experience with the mode?

My prediction is that a good proportion of Custom Leagues users will come from the DD user base. If that is the majority of the feedback then that's where the majority of changes to the mode will originate. If you want Franchise features in Custom Leagues, you're going to have to play the mode.

If you don't, you'll be Standing On The Outside looking in.

Last edited by kehlis; 02-29-2020 at 01:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2020, 11:43 PM   #2
MVP

eric7064's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: MLB The Show needs Online Franchise players to play Custom Leagues

I love the enthusiasm....BUT

I was an avid OF player since it debuted. Played it a TON. SDS never did anything to improve the mode, it was very broken and needed many workarounds to even function. Yet it was still a blast to do a Franchise on a baseball game with friends.

Having said that, I really in my heart do not see SDS implementing an OF of any sort ever again. They have hardly touched offline franchise, and with the way OF was implemented before, it was alot of work to keep running. They killed it to enhance DD servers and lack of population on OF, and the mode needed alot of work anyway. That is a big reason population was low. It was broken from jump.

I will honestly say that I feel Custom leagues is another branch from DD. Yes, you can use MLB Live Rosters, but lets be completely honest here, this mode was made with DD leagues in mind, and an E-Sports mindset.

Leagues oftentimes are NOT as popular as some would assume, especially a baseball league. If this is somewhat popular I feel they will have felt they did the "right" thing in bringing it back, and keeping leagues relatively simple and easy.

I certainly do not see them adding on in years to come and making it a true franchise experience. Another reason why is because then they would have to get RID of DD components, and the people who do really love the leagues this year will be upset that the mode will get more complex and franchise oriented when in reality they just wanted a simple league.

I have been very vocal for years on my irritation with SDS on the lack of additions to OF and eventual deletion of the mode completely. It hurts my heart to say it, but I really do not think we will ever get an OF type mode back in the Show. I understand the complexities of it, I understand the smaller team at SDS and the fact franchise is just not a priority anymore in the offline world, why the hell would it be in an online world?

Last edited by eric7064; 02-28-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:18 AM   #3
Rookie

MasonOS95's Arena

It definitely could be better but I’m still excited to try it out

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-29-2020, 01:11 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I like the idea of the chef story but unfortunately until Sony can find a way to make revenue from franchise similar to what DD generates, they will not reinvest in it anywhere near the level as DD. simple economics 101. and I'm fine with that. I still get a hell of a lot of bang for my buck in franchise as is. I even still enjoy playing MLB 14, and it doesn't have any online functionality, DD or otherwise. and as other years, once the online portion is decommissioned, one constant universal truth will remain, offline franchise will be the last man standing (along w/RTTS of course).

A Work in Progress
Old 02-29-2020, 10:40 AM   #5
Banned

tuckermaine's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I like the idea of the chef story but unfortunately until Sony can find a way to make revenue from franchise similar to what DD generates, they will not reinvest in it anywhere near the level as DD. simple economics 101. and I'm fine with that. I still get a hell of a lot of bang for my buck in franchise as is. I even still enjoy playing MLB 14, and it doesn't have any online functionality, DD or otherwise. and as other years, once the online portion is decommissioned, one constant universal truth will remain, offline franchise will be the last man standing (along w/RTTS of course).
Agree with the above....if I may I’d like to make a comparison to Madden.
First I respect everyone’s mode choice and just because I’m a offline franchise guy I still understand the draw to online play.
Madden’s gameplay has been IMO ruined by devs trying to appease certain aspects of the game of football that enhances “big Money “ online play.
So your left with some strange sort of imprint of what football is like and more of a arcade hyper version so as to enhance a joystick experience.
That being said ...I hope The Show doesn’t go this route and if so I will try and be confident that
gameplay “Options “ are always there for Offliners.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #6
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

I honestly do not think it matters. Look at franchise mode. The dev's state that franchise mode is least played mode and online franchise is a smaller percentage of that.

Although I question that assertion based on every wish list thread on every website including shownation. The majority of wishlist items involve franchise mode.

My personal belief is that baseball and most professional team sports do not have a rabid following by the younger generation. I am a PE teacher and have seen over the years that kids are not fans of teams, but players. DD and card modes in video games attract them more. They also do not understand the game because they have short attention spans. Games may be on in background as they play call of duty or play on phone.

The other belief I hold, is that in the video game industry the goal is to make the most money possible. DD and the modes like it have dominated almost every video game. The profits are there look at the growth of the Show and NBA. Until this wave goes and the next thing happens I believe we are where we are.

I personally only played sports video games. I have branched out the last couple years and have enjoyed single player games like spiderman, uncharted and god of war games.

With the trend the way it is, my time may be devoted to games like that. If money was an issue with me I would not buy sports games yearly. I am fortunate enough that 60 to 80 dollars does not affect me and I can write it off as a "bad investment" if i do not play it.

Last year was the least I have ever played the Show. I am hoping for improvement this year on the modes I play.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tabarnes19_SDS; 02-29-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #7
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

I can see playing the DD league side more than the MLB one mainly because what they did with it makes sense. The MLB league setup is shallow at best and offers no real incentive to continue past one season. It sounds like they had a community day from the stream and would be interesting if they felt that setup was satisfying when they played it.

If the response is poor on the MLB league side this year how do you ascertain if it was because of lack of interest or because the mode is not designed well.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #8
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I don’t think every mode has to generate the same revenue to see development but I am sure it would not hurt. I think much of it has to do with the complexity of the mode. Franchise mode has way more moving parts than a DD mode. I would think if you reach a development dead end in a complex mode like franchise mode it would take way more time and effort to unravel it and redirect. I feel that is why we only see these minimal adjustments and I don’t think is just about revenue.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »