Home

Why is my real-life timing and discipline worse in RTTS than it is in Franchise Mode?

This is a discussion on Why is my real-life timing and discipline worse in RTTS than it is in Franchise Mode? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-05-2021, 03:51 PM   #1
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

OVR: 0
Why is my real-life timing and discipline worse in RTTS than it is in Franchise Mode?

This is something I've noticed that has been a recurring issue w/ me for years now.

When I play Franchise, my timing and discipline are really good. I'm super comfortable at the plate and I have no problems w/ taking pitches outside of the zone -- even those that are right on the edge -- and having good timing/making solid contact on pitches inside the zone. I'd say the vast majority of the pitches I make contact w/, my timing is somewhere b/w "just early" and "just late" w/ about 80-90% of those being "good" timing.

Yet, in RTTS, my timing and discipline are absolutely dreadful. I can't lay off pitches outside the zone nearly as easy as I can in Franchise and when I do swing at pitches inside the zone, about 80-90% of my timing is somewhere b/w "late" and "too late". I can't even get good timing on balls right down the middle and I'm super uncomfortable at the plate, like I have the yips or something.

I know it's not a game issue b/c my settings and cameras are all the same across modes. I can even finish a game in Franchise where I'm seeing and hitting the ball very well, then jump right into an RTTS game and suddenly, I can't see or hit the ball well at all.

Is it just a mental thing? I'm thinking maybe it's when I play RTTS, just about every decision you make can have negative consequences, even when I intentionally take a strike right down the middle on the first pitch b/c I want to try and make the pitcher throw as many pitches as possible. So it could be that I'm more on edge b/c I'm more afraid of messing up and getting hit w/ penalties that will affect my player's progress whereas, in Franchise, I'm not too concerned at how well each batter plays b/c those penalties aren't as prominent.

I don't know. Anyone else experiencing this issue and/or have any advice on how to correct it?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2021, 06:40 PM   #2
sk
God's Son.

sk's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Why is my real-life timing and discipline worse in RTTS than it is in Franchise M

I believe there's two very simple, logical reasons for this.

1. In franchise mode, you are batting with all 9 hitters. This means that you get to see the same pitcher for every single pitch he throws. This is a big deal because you gets used to the release point, timing, and what the pitcher likes to throw. When you're playing in RTTS you maybe see 4 or 5 pitcher per at bat, with only 4 at bats per game that's not a whole lot for you to get into a rhythm and then you play the next game and face a different pitcher.

2. This goes hand in hand with number one, but there's pressure. You only get about 4 at bats per game in RTTS thus you start pressing and want to produce every single time whereas in franchise you're okay with some easy outs
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed"
Old 01-05-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Why is my real-life timing and discipline worse in RTTS than it is in Franchise M

Also when playing RTTS whatever difficulty you are on is not quite the same. Double A is one level lower than you listed, Triple A is your level and MLB is one level higher.

At least that is the way it has been before. That could be enough to throw you off. As well as those listed be the poster above me.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 01-05-2021, 08:13 PM   #4
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

How good of a hitter is your player?
Old 01-05-2021, 09:19 PM   #5
Pro

mattynokes's Arena

OVR: 16

It sounds like a dangerous combination of wanting to do too much and wanting to take your pitches. You want to take your pitches, so you hesitate on early fastballs and by the time you realize that it's a juicy pitch, you're late. Then you're down in the count and pressing. Next while either down 0-1 or 0-2, you foolishly chase a slider running out of the zone that you recognize is a dumb swing halfway through the swing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2021, 10:00 PM   #6
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk
I believe there's two very simple, logical reasons for this.

1. In franchise mode, you are batting with all 9 hitters. This means that you get to see the same pitcher for every single pitch he throws. This is a big deal because you gets used to the release point, timing, and what the pitcher likes to throw. When you're playing in RTTS you maybe see 4 or 5 pitcher per at bat, with only 4 at bats per game that's not a whole lot for you to get into a rhythm and then you play the next game and face a different pitcher.

2. This goes hand in hand with number one, but there's pressure. You only get about 4 at bats per game in RTTS thus you start pressing and want to produce every single time whereas in franchise you're okay with some easy outs
I'm beginning to think it has more to do w/ the second option: pressure.

I seem to struggle mightily in the Topps Showcase at the beginning, but once I'm in Double-A, my discipline improves where I'm able to let balls go by without feeling like I'm on edge about to swing at any and every pitch.

My timing is still way off, regardless. I'm consistently late pulling the trigger on fastballs right down the middle, extremely gun-shy on curveballs as I watch them land right down the middle without swinging at all, and I can never sit on changeups long enough without swinging way too early. Now, I know I'm not the only one who struggles with changeups and breaking balls, but as I said, I'm just much better at reading and reacting to them in Franchise.

While I do tend to worry about strikeouts more in RTTS, any other type of easy out doesn't bother me much because even easy outs can net you plus-results in certain categories, depending on the situation. So at this point, all I want is to figure out how to relax enough to get my timing down right in RTTS and not be as hesitant to swing at good pitches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
How good of a hitter is your player?
Starting out as a prospect, so not very good. But even when using players w/ similar skills as my RTTS player, my timing and discipline are still much better in Franchise.
Old 01-05-2021, 10:09 PM   #7
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattynokes
It sounds like a dangerous combination of wanting to do too much and wanting to take your pitches. You want to take your pitches, so you hesitate on early fastballs and by the time you realize that it's a juicy pitch, you're late. Then you're down in the count and pressing. Next while either down 0-1 or 0-2, you foolishly chase a slider running out of the zone that you recognize is a dumb swing halfway through the swing.
Sounds about right. It also doesn't help that your Vision attribute takes a hit when you take a pitch right down the middle. It leaves me feeling like I always have to be prepared to swing at those just so I don't get docked, even if my intention from the start was to take it (still, I can't be too mad at that aspect because there's no way the game can predict whether you take a pitch for strategy purposes or because you genuinely suck).

I'm not so much worried about the actual result once the ball is in play as I am about simply timing my swing well. I can deal w/ pop-ups, flyouts, and weak grounders if my timing is "good" (or really close to it), but it's when I'm getting those results because I'm consistently swinging late is where I have a problem.

So maybe I have to figure out how to go in expecting to take pitches and then reacting if it's down the middle instead of expecting to swing at a pitch if it's down the middle and stopping myself from swinging if it's not ... if that makes any sense ...

Last edited by bigd51; 01-05-2021 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:26 PM   #8
Aqua?!

bigd51's Arena

So just a bit of an update...

For some odd reason, unbeknownst to me, I've realized that if I focus on the pitcher's elbow during his windup before shifting my focus to the ball as he's about to release, my timing improves significantly while my discipline also improves slightly.

Baseball is really f'n weird, man...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »