Home

Compare And Contrast: Things MLB 2K13 still does better

This is a discussion on Compare And Contrast: Things MLB 2K13 still does better within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #9
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Things MLB2K13 still does better

Good list, I pretty much agree with it all. Who knows how much traction this thread will get. A lot of fans of The Show were always a bit snobby and acted as if 2k could never touch The Show's quality, but I pretty much agree 100% with your list.

The presentation in the MLB 2k series was, imo, the best in any sports game to date still. It always felt like a true broadcast, and like someone else alluded to earlier, the ballpark sounds were captured perfectly and it made you actually feel like you were there at a real ball game while also nailing the broadcast feeling and making it feel as real as any other game has ever gotten.

The Show struggles quite a bit with its sounds inside the ballpark. If SDS could capture the quality of ballpark feel and presentation that 2k had, that would elevate the game into a whole new dimension.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 05-01-2021, 11:54 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace2734
I think it’s perfectly fine FWIW. I just, well, you know the world we live in right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tell me about it. A world littered with eggshells as we walk barefooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Good list, I pretty much agree with it all. Who knows how much traction this thread will get. A lot of fans of The Show were always a bit snobby and acted as if 2k could never touch The Show's quality, but I pretty much agree 100% with your list.

The presentation in the MLB 2k series was, imo, the best in any sports game to date still. It always felt like a true broadcast, and like someone else alluded to earlier, the ballpark sounds were captured perfectly and it made you actually feel like you were there at a real ball game while also nailing the broadcast feeling and making it feel as real as any other game has ever gotten.

The Show struggles quite a bit with its sounds inside the ballpark. If SDS could capture the quality of ballpark feel and presentation that 2k had, that would elevate the game into a whole new dimension.

I would say NFL2K5 nails overall presentation the greatest of any sport's game, and MLB2K/NBA2K nails commentary the greatest. The Show's overall presentation isn't terrible though, but yeah, the in stadium sounds have a lot to be desired.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

MLB 2k13 is still in my opinion the best baseball video game ever made. The Show is very good but I prefer 2k. You can turn off the homerun camera too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2021, 12:03 PM   #12
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafs nation
MLB 2k13 is still in my opinion the best baseball video game ever made. The Show is very good but I prefer 2k. You can turn off the homerun camera too.
There's no way

2K gameplay was garbage
Old 05-01-2021, 12:05 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Honestly, I was surprised how much you can set the game up to play like 2K, from the pitching mechanics to timed analog batting (analog mechanic is identical to 2K). As someone who has never played The Show before, I adapted quickly to it because it plays very close to 2K, as said, especially hitting and pitching.

I personally love the homerun camera in both games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berenjena
There's no way

2K gameplay was garbage
No, it wasn't. Visual Concepts turned the game around after 2K9, and it played a great game of baseball. Pitching and hitting were excellent post 2K9, and fielding was its sore spot in game play.

Last edited by cvantu; 05-01-2021 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 12:11 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 21

2K baseball was horrible. Great presentation, but horrible execution. Anyone who is saying 2K baseball was the best baseball game ever has to be looked at with a slanted eye.

2K football was great. But it is 2021 not 2005 or 2008. Again, great presentation and the on field game was excellent. Not perfect as many would lead you to believe, but excellent. It had many shortcomings.

2K basketball is in a league of its own.

2K hockey had potential but on ice was not so great.

The Show is the gold standard in baseball games. They are adapting as they go, and yes, they still have a long way to go. If they would stop shooting themselves in the foot and listen more to hardcore customers, they'd have a better overall game. On field is 9/10 but the rest of the package is 5/10.

C
Old 05-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvantu
Honestly, I was surprised how much you can set the game up to play like 2K, from the pitching mechanics to timed analog batting (analog mechanic is identical to 2K). As someone who has never played The Show before, I adapted quickly to it because it plays very close to 2K, as said, especially hitting and pitching.

I personally love the homerun camera in both games.

No, it wasn't. Visual Concepts turned the game around after 2K9, and it played a great game of baseball. Pitching and hitting were excellent post 2K9, and fielding was its sore spot in game play.
There is no point in trying to argue with people like that. As I said earlier, The Show crowd has too many that laugh at the mention of 2k and act as if The Show was God's gift to earth while 2k was the worst sports game ever.

It definitely improved tremendously by 2k12, was basically a copy and paste for 2k13, but it was a great playing game. Unfortunately it wasn't bringing in the money 2k wanted. I would love to see where the series would be if it were still around today. It was on the same trajectory from a quality standpoint that NBA 2k was on. I believe that NBA 2k21 on next gen is the best playing sports game of all time, passing APF 2k8, so I can only imagine what MLB 2k21 would be like and how it would have pushed The Show to be even better also.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2021, 12:26 PM   #16
MVP

Quote:
Ummm, I'd liked 2K also, only thing I had to choose from owning XBox 360, BUT.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »