Home

Franchise mode post draft question

This is a discussion on Franchise mode post draft question within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2021, 02:53 PM   #1
Rookie

ingey1968's Arena

OVR: 0
Franchise mode post draft question

long time RTTS player but this year im getting into franchise. have a question for anyone whos played it alot. right after the draft i have a player who is a 75 overall on draft pick signing screen but his potential; is only 65, does that mean he will drop down to 65ish pretty quick or no? below are pics so you see what i mean

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

Re: Franchise mode post draft question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingey1968
long time RTTS player but this year im getting into franchise. have a question for anyone whos played it alot. right after the draft i have a player who is a 75 overall on draft pick signing screen but his potential; is only 65, does that mean he will drop down to 65ish pretty quick or no? below are pics so you see what i mean

Yes. That potential means he will decline every year until he settles in at around a 65 unfortunately.

Potentials are generally a good indicator of overall. Example: if a player has an 85 potential and an 85 overall, they will generally lose attributes in one area to accommodate improvements in other. 85 overall is pretty much there ceiling. However, there are exceptions. Sometimes guys will perform above expectations and their overall will go up. I have also seen guys overalls go up 1 or 2 without a potential increase, but then the next year the will usually decline back to there potential

Last edited by Therebelyell626; 05-11-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingey1968

It doesn't guarantee that he will decline as potentials are dynamic, meaning they can increase/decrease just like other attributes.

If he has good seasons, you will notice that attributes will hold pretty firm and possibly even increase slightly and could see his potential rating increase from "D" to "C".

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-11-2021, 09:27 PM   #4
MVP

I haven't played mlbts21 yet until I get my ps5 so I can't say for sure but the developers indicated on the franchise promo video that progression would be more dynamic and potential could change.

I'd start that guy in AA and with his attributes he might tear up AA pitching and progress. See what secondary positions if any he acquires in the off season. If he gets catcher as a secondary position you might have drafted a hidden gem. He has good fielding attributes for a first baseman especially throwing.

That guy looks like a good test case for what they have done with progression this year.
Old 05-11-2021, 10:02 PM   #5
Rookie

ingey1968's Arena

I think im going to run a small test for like 5 years, see what happens. I was waiting for the ridin roster anyways and just noticed it was in before i start my long term franchise so will turn this into a test sim, see what happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I haven't played mlbts21 yet until I get my ps5 so I can't say for sure but the developers indicated on the franchise promo video that progression would be more dynamic and potential could change.

I'd start that guy in AA and with his attributes he might tear up AA pitching and progress. See what secondary positions if any he acquires in the off season. If he gets catcher as a secondary position you might have drafted a hidden gem. He has good fielding attributes for a first baseman especially throwing.

That guy looks like a good test case for what they have done with progression this year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2021, 09:18 AM   #6
Rookie

deamon93's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl

Is it possible, that players acquire secondary positions? I thought that's only possible if you edit them.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #7
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by deamon93
Is it possible, that players acquire secondary positions? I thought that's only possible if you edit them.
Players will not acquire secondary positions unless you edit them.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 05-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

He used poor verbiage. Drafted players don't "acquire"secondary positions but you won't see what they are until the season after you've drafted them. They show as none for the season that you draft them

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »