Home

MLB Questions--Any MLB fans help a UK Old Timer

This is a discussion on MLB Questions--Any MLB fans help a UK Old Timer within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2022, 11:40 AM   #33
Pro

OVR: 1
Re: MLB Questions--Any MLB fans help a UK Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
a sinker, or a 2 seam fastball with highish movement, is good for groundball

as for bunting, the new school of thinking is bunting is bad, you're just giving away outs. especially w/every team using the DH now.
I still say if it's the 8th inning or later (or maybe even as early as the 7th inning) and you only need 1 run, bunting can definitely be useful
Thank you again....Every day is a School Day....even for us 51...and a half year olds!
Old 04-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #34
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
I will add to the above in terms of pitches.

A slider is also a good option as well as a low, almost out of the zone change up generates a lot of ground balls.

My go to strike out pitch tends to be a low change up so it has 2 advantages.

Now the downside is that if I hang it over the plate, it can be crushed. Just like all pitches, it's risk/reward.
Brilliant---this is great.
So, if the opposition has a guy on 1st, and Im looking for the Double Play Pitch, so far I have a Mr Caulfields Sinker, or a 2 Seam Fastball and your Slider (away)---and a pesky Change Up (that looks like a F/B but is deceptivley Slow right?)
This is smashing.....Thank you!
Old 04-11-2022, 11:54 AM   #35
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seancefc
Johnny, I recommend a book called ‘watching baseball smarter’ you’ll understand the game much better and it’s an enjoyable read.

There are a few scenarios in which you could/would bunt.

Let’s say you’ve got runners on first and second with less than two outs (ideally no outs) and one of your poorer hitters at the plate, or maybe a hitter having a bad day. One way to limit the chance of hitting into a double-play would be to sacrifice bunt in order to get both runners into scoring position.

You could also bunt for a hit with a faster hitter, who might beat out a throw from third. Be aware of where the infielders at the corners are placed though.

I lost count of how many bunts were in the mets game yesterday so I’m not quite sure we’ve seen the last of it yet, despite the DH now being in the NL.

As I said, get that book, you’ll enjoy it- it’s on the kindle store if you have one.
Thats brilliant---thank you so much!!!
I actually had just ordered the book last week, which arrived today.
Funnily enough, over the last 3 years I have done it in reverse; learning about the stats first (I annually buy the Lindys Guide & Baseball Prospectus ), before i actually knew the basics...lol
Ahh....so.....the Bunt was more of a tactic when Pitchers were forced to bat, but is also a good tool to avoid the dreaded Double Play. Thank You!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2022, 11:59 AM   #36
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
The skillset needed to play each position is primarily determined by two important factors:

1. The dimensions of the diamond
2. The fact that the majority of hitters will be right handed

First Base
Your first baseman is generally your worst fielder in the infield and is generally a better hitter than fielder.

As mentioned above, most hitters are right handed, so the majority of hits will be away from first base. The one fielding skill that's most important for a first baseman is being able to catch or pick throws from other infielders. Every time a ball is put in play, there will always be a runner going from the batter's box to first, so that's where the majority of outs will occur, and the second and third basemen, as well as the shortstop will therefore be throwing to first frequently.

A first baseman is typically someone whose bat is good enough that they need to be in the lineup but whose fielding is not good enough to play elsewhere.

Typical first baseman: Freddie Freeman

Second Base
Your second baseman is generally a good fielder, though not your best. Balls will be hit into the gap between first and second relatively often so they need to be able to field those balls effectively, and to have good range and mobility to cover ground. However, because most hitters will be right handed, ground balls will not come to second as often as they will go to the shortstop.

A second baseman's arm is generally weaker than other positions. The second baseman is halfway between first and second base, so they only need to throw a short distance to either base to get an out.

Typical second baseman: Jonathan India

Third Base
Your third baseman is generally an adequate fielder but, like the first baseman, they are typically in the lineup for their hitting rather than their fielding.

Because most hitters are right handed, the ball will be hit towards third more often than first. Additionally, if the ball is pulled all the way over towards third base or the foul line, it will typically be travelling very quickly. This is why third base is referred to as the 'hot corner', because balls will be coming at you hot. The third baseman therefore needs to be able to react quickly and make catches.

The other unique thing about the third baseman is their arm strength. As mentioned earlier, most outs will be made at first base. Because of his position on the diamond, the third baseman will be the furthest away from first, and therefore needs the strongest arm to zip the ball all the way across the diamond before the runner can reach base.

Because of the strength in their arm, third baseman are also typically power hitters.

Typical third baseman: Nolan Arenado

Shortstop
The shortstop is typically the most athletic and best fielder in the infield. Because most hitters are right handed, the majority of ground balls will be hit between second and third base. The shortstop needs elite quickness, mobility, and range to be able to reach and field these ground balls.

The shortstop should also have a strong arm, though maybe not quite as strong as the third baseman's. Though sometimes they will be making a short throw to second, often they will be required to throw from the shortstop hole directly to first, and these throws will often be made on the run or with unconventional body positioning.

Shortstops make the lineup because of their defensive capabilities, even if they cannot hit. That's why a shortstop that defends the position well and can also hit is one of the most valuable players in the game.

Typical shortstop: Francisco Lindor

Right Field
Like the third baseman, one of the most important things for a right fielder to possess is a strong arm. Right fielders will often be fielding fly balls, which means that there may be a runner trying to tag up to third or even get home on a sacrifice fly. The right fielder needs to be able to throw basically the distance of the entire field from his positions all the way to third base or home plate, so needs a huge arm to get this done. A big armed right fielder can also get the ball to second base quickly to prevent a runner from turning a single into a double.

Right fielders are typically slower and less mobile than other outfielders. They are tucked away in the corner of the outfield and do not have a large area of the field to cover. Like a third baseman, they are typically a big arm and a power bat.

Typical right fielder: Aaron Judge

Centre Field
Alongside the shortstop, the centre fielder is typically one of the best defenders on the field. They have the most ground to cover by far, and need speed and range to get under fly balls and make catches.

Like right fielders, centre fielders will often be making throws to second, third, or home plate so being able to throw accurately over long distances is also relatively important, though less so than other defensive skills.

Like the shortstops, many centre fielders will be in the lineup because of their defensive capabilities. A centre fielder that can defend their position to a high level and also hit is also a superstar.

Typical centre fielder: Mike Trout

Left Field
Left fielders typically do not excel at anything. If they did, they would likely be playing another position. Instead, they are typically simply solid all around players.

Left fielders do not typically have the arm strength of a right fielder. The throws to second, third, or home that are typically made by outfielders are a much shorter distance for the left fielder, given his starting position, so a weaker arm can still get the ball where it needs to be.

Similarly, left fielders do not typically have the range or defensive capabilities of a centre fielder. Like the right fielder, they are tucked away in the corner of the outfield and have less range to cover. If a ball is hit high, it will either be over the wall for a home run, or the left fielder will be able to position himself to catch it. If the ball is hit on the ground, the shortstop or third baseman will generally field the ball before it reaches the outfield.

Left fielders are typically a solid bat in the lineup with no real elite qualities.

Typical left fielder: Jessie Winker
This is superb!
Thank you so much.
I was wondering why 2nd Base guys have less HRs historically.
Old 04-11-2022, 12:01 PM   #37
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackrel829
This is a fair point. 'Typical' maybe wasn't the best word choice but I tried to choose well known players who still actually fulfil the typical skillset.

Jonathan India and Jessie Winker aren't exactly superstars.
No, I fully understand. Its handy to have a good idea though so THANK YOU ALL!
Old 04-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #38
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum
Brilliant---this is great.
So, if the opposition has a guy on 1st, and Im looking for the Double Play Pitch, so far I have a Mr Caulfields Sinker, or a 2 Seam Fastball and your Slider (away)---and a pesky Change Up (that looks like a F/B but is deceptivley Slow right?)
This is smashing.....Thank you!
Correct. A good change up has the same arm motion that a fastball has. In game this is consistent. In real life, it is a talent that needs practice.

One other pitch they works well is a split finger fastball (splitter in game) as it has a downward motion as well and can definitely induce ground balls.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 04-11-2022, 03:03 PM   #39
Rookie

Seancefc's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnydrum
Thats brilliant---thank you so much!!!
I actually had just ordered the book last week, which arrived today.
Funnily enough, over the last 3 years I have done it in reverse; learning about the stats first (I annually buy the Lindys Guide & Baseball Prospectus ), before i actually knew the basics...lol
Ahh....so.....the Bunt was more of a tactic when Pitchers were forced to bat, but is also a good tool to avoid the dreaded Double Play. Thank You!
You’re welcome, mate. There are a number of scenarios but the pitcher bunting to advance a runner was probably the most common scenario.

When I play the show I tend to bunt to get runners to second and third with no outs, with better hitters up next. Bunting against the shift is also useful because the third baseman will never get to it in time.

How did you get into baseball? Did you ever watch channel 5 baseball with Johnny gould?
Old 04-11-2022, 03:48 PM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
So for Ohtani when he pitches he only pitches usually. I think in NL games where pitchers hit, he might have hit. I don't follow the Angels enough to know that. But with universal DH now, he will likely only pitch those days.
https://www.mlb.com/news/new-statcas...lls-c201699298
Ohtani does hit when he pitches. The DH is (as was in years previous to the universal DH) optional. When Ohtani starts, the Angels voluntarily give up the DH and Ohtani hits for himself. In previous years, once he comes out of the game, the reliever would take his spot in the line up and the Angels basically behaved like a NL team.

This year is a little different. Along with the universal DH, there's a new rule (colloquially know as the "Ohtani Rule) where if a team decides to let the Starter hit for themselves, he can stay in the lineup even after they're removed as the pitcher. Essentially one player is the starting pitcher and DH at the same time. This is something that in practice will only apply to Ohtani.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »