Home

The AI does not know how to be patient at the plate

This is a discussion on The AI does not know how to be patient at the plate within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2022, 01:50 PM   #81
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: The AI does not know how to be patient at the plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
I guess I'm weird then. If I'm not walking guys every now and then I'm doing something wrong.
No that’s actually kinda what I was saying: you’re doing it right. Guys look at final lines and see zero walks and just assume that means pitching is too easy (or at minimum that walks are too easy to avoid) when what’s usually going on is that guys simply don’t want to give away the base, ever, so they are very rarely if ever throwing balls on 3-ball counts. I throw outside of the zone roughly 40% of the time on 3-2. I bet for the average dude that number is closer to 0%.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2022, 02:57 PM   #82
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
Of course there are. I'm sure a majority of the top online players in DD are the same way.

Should that affect the way I choose to play my own personal single-player games? If I am, in fact, not perfect (or even close, really), and if that imperfection results in realistic outcomes in my games, why does it matter what top-level players can do with the meter-driven interfaces?

Edit: Grabbed that post before you added the last line. It still doesn't change what I'm saying, or the question that I'm posing.

Exactly. Bravo!!
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 05-24-2022, 03:01 PM   #83
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
Idk about meter, but everyone online using analog pitches pretty close to perfect every pitch. I suck at meter so I don't even bother lol. I'm sure with practice I could become pretty consistent with it and at that point idk if I'd have fun or not. Going to legend just to have a challenge using meter would take a lot of practice. HOF level using classic is easier to use and I like the cleaner screen anyway. Just have to lower the control and consistency sliders and it's perfect. And there is a lot more user control and input using classic than most probably realize.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

That's fine. I just wish people would respect other people's way of playing the game instead of making outlandish claims that the only way to get realistic sim results is by using a particular control method. But there's been a couple self righteous folks in this thread that think their way is the only "right" way to play this game to get "realistic" results and that simply isn't true. People should be allowed to play the game however they want in a way that makes it enjoyable for them and not be shamed/attacked for their style of play or for adjusting sliders.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 05-24-2022, 03:06 PM   #84
MVP

OVR: 1

Can you guys honestly say you feel a different between your 1-3 in your rotation and the 5th guy? Or a middle reliever and the closer?

Using meter you really can’t from what I’ve seen. Usually the difference between those guys is command which you can override with meter/analog pitching. Another aspect you don’t get is your pitcher not having a good feel for a certain pitch or a game where everything lines up from the start.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:18 PM   #85
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34
Can you guys honestly say you feel a different between your 1-3 in your rotation and the 5th guy? Or a middle reliever and the closer?

Using meter you really can’t from what I’ve seen. Usually the difference between those guys is command which you can override with meter/analog pitching. Another aspect you don’t get is your pitcher not having a good feel for a certain pitch or a game where everything lines up from the start.
This exactly. You can definitely tell the difference between your top starters, and your back end starters.

#4 and #5 guys will have the occasional great game, but will be hit around pretty often. Top of the rotation guys will pitch better more consistently, though still have their rough outings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2022, 03:19 PM   #86
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
That's fine. I just wish people would respect other people's way of playing the game instead of making outlandish claims that the only way to get realistic sim results is by using a particular control method. But there's been a couple self righteous folks in this thread that think their way is the only "right" way to play this game to get "realistic" results and that simply isn't true. People should be allowed to play the game however they want in a way that makes it enjoyable for them and not be shamed/attacked for their style of play or for adjusting sliders.
For sure! I was attacked early in the thread for suggesting to lower control lol. I deleted posts but I get you. People can play how they want. Hell, there are plenty who could care less about realistic stats and just play. I wish I could do that lol

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Old 05-24-2022, 03:23 PM   #87
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
No that’s actually kinda what I was saying: you’re doing it right. Guys look at final lines and see zero walks and just assume that means pitching is too easy (or at minimum that walks are too easy to avoid) when what’s usually going on is that guys simply don’t want to give away the base, ever, so they are very rarely if ever throwing balls on 3-ball counts. I throw outside of the zone roughly 40% of the time on 3-2. I bet for the average dude that number is closer to 0%.
Depends on the situation, honestly. With a light hitter, and the bases empty, I will challenge the hitter on 3-2, knowing he is probably not going to take me deep.

With a power hitter up, who is probably looking dead red, I will throw either a borderline pitch, or something outside the zone, because a walk is better than a home run.

It all depends on what the situation dictates.

But I agree, some guys will never throw a pitch out of the zone on a 3 ball count.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:27 PM   #88
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by loso_34

Yes I can.

There is a distinct difference in me pitching with Jack Flaherty versus that of Dakota Hudson, Brandon Waddell, or Miles Mikolas.

There's a also a distinct difference in pitching with say Giovanny Gallegos versus that of Alex Reyes. With Gallegos if I miss the accuracy line on the meter, I don't panic as much as I do with Reyes in regards to either missing completely out of the zone or worse yet, hanging a pitch over the center of the plate inviting to be hammered.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 05-24-2022 at 03:32 PM. Reason: I can't spell...LOL

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »