Home

Base Stealing MLB The Show 22

This is a discussion on Base Stealing MLB The Show 22 within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2022, 03:47 AM   #1
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19
Base Stealing MLB The Show 22

So the first couple weeks of the game, I felt that stealing was much harder than it had been previously. I found myself having to turn the base stealing ability slider way up to have reasonable success (but then giving the CPU a little too much success).

But then this week I at least felt I was having a lot more success. Both in franchise and doing the stolen bases goal in Mini Seasons in DD. I had seen a method of stealing suggested, and in trying it felt like I was getting okay results. But I was worried it might just be placebo. So I decided to do some light testing and share it. Maybe some of you, like me, will learn to steal better from this. Maybe some of you already knew this. Maybe some of you will think I'm nuts. But alas, here we go.

First, methodology. I went up against the same battery for consistency; Zack Greinke and Salvador Perez. I was on default Hall of Fame. I went into Custom Practice, and set up a team defense with a runner on 1st, 0 out, 2-1 count. I never took a lead. I used several players to get a wide picture. Three players with similar speed but varying steal ratings; Ozzie Albies (74 SPD, 48 STL), Cedric Mullins (77 SPD/75 STL), and Starling Marte (74 SPD/99 STL). I also tried a couple high speed guys with a little lower steal; Tyler O'Neill (95 SPD/5 STL), Eli White (99 SPD/38 STL), and Ronald Acuña (90 SPD/65 SPD). I also tried a guy with average speed, but higher steal; Kyle Tucker (57 SPD/85 STL).

First, the manual steal. Maybe I just suck with it, but this was bad. Marte somehow got 10/20, but Acuña and Tucker combined for 4/40. I didn't try it on anyone else. I've tested it before, and maybe it's just me but it's by far the least effective method (23.3%).

So, I started the year just preloading an auto steal pressing LT (L2 on PS4/5, I believe) once. Was having issues, and then I saw someone mention always making sure to press the Left Stick (LS on Xbox, L3 on PS4/5 I think) towards the base the player currently occupies (in this case 1B). And that's when I started seeing better results. Then today, I saw someone mention holding RT and pressing LT twice, then releasing RT (I tested this once, and then tested just pressing LT once and got similar/better results, so then I just tested that moving forward).

Ozzie Albies: LT only - 1/20. LT w/LS to 1B - 8/20. Holding RT when Pressing LT - 12/20

Cedric Mullins: LT - 4/20. LT+LS - 14/20. LT+RT - 18/20

Starling Marte: LT - 10/20. LT+LS - 16/20. LT+RT - 14/20

Tyler O'Neill: LT - 5/20, LT+LS - 9/20, LT+RT - 4/20

Eli White: LT - 7/20, LT+LS - 13/20, LT+RT 13/20

Ronald Acuña: LT - 6/20, LT+LS - 16/20, LT+RT - 16/20

Kyle Tucker: LT - 1/20, LT+LS - 11/20, LT+RT - 10/20

The other methods were universally better than just pressing LT (24.3%, barely better than manual). Among these players, LT+LS had a 62.1% success rate, and holding RT while you pressed LT also had a 62.1% success rate.

I think LT by itself is just meant to be for like Hit and Runs and the like maybe. It's a drastic enough difference that it's not just a fluke. The other two methods are right on equal. They give better (and also more realistic) results.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2022, 06:15 AM   #2
Rookie

Seancefc's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Base Stealing MLB The Show 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
So the first couple weeks of the game, I felt that stealing was much harder than it had been previously. I found myself having to turn the base stealing ability slider way up to have reasonable success (but then giving the CPU a little too much success).

But then this week I at least felt I was having a lot more success. Both in franchise and doing the stolen bases goal in Mini Seasons in DD. I had seen a method of stealing suggested, and in trying it felt like I was getting okay results. But I was worried it might just be placebo. So I decided to do some light testing and share it. Maybe some of you, like me, will learn to steal better from this. Maybe some of you already knew this. Maybe some of you will think I'm nuts. But alas, here we go.

First, methodology. I went up against the same battery for consistency; Zack Greinke and Salvador Perez. I was on default Hall of Fame. I went into Custom Practice, and set up a team defense with a runner on 1st, 0 out, 2-1 count. I never took a lead. I used several players to get a wide picture. Three players with similar speed but varying steal ratings; Ozzie Albies (74 SPD, 48 STL), Cedric Mullins (77 SPD/75 STL), and Starling Marte (74 SPD/99 STL). I also tried a couple high speed guys with a little lower steal; Tyler O'Neill (95 SPD/5 STL), Eli White (99 SPD/38 STL), and Ronald Acuña (90 SPD/65 SPD). I also tried a guy with average speed, but higher steal; Kyle Tucker (57 SPD/85 STL).

First, the manual steal. Maybe I just suck with it, but this was bad. Marte somehow got 10/20, but Acuña and Tucker combined for 4/40. I didn't try it on anyone else. I've tested it before, and maybe it's just me but it's by far the least effective method (23.3%).

So, I started the year just preloading an auto steal pressing LT (L2 on PS4/5, I believe) once. Was having issues, and then I saw someone mention always making sure to press the Left Stick (LS on Xbox, L3 on PS4/5 I think) towards the base the player currently occupies (in this case 1B). And that's when I started seeing better results. Then today, I saw someone mention holding RT and pressing LT twice, then releasing RT (I tested this once, and then tested just pressing LT once and got similar/better results, so then I just tested that moving forward).

Ozzie Albies: LT only - 1/20. LT w/LS to 1B - 8/20. Holding RT when Pressing LT - 12/20

Cedric Mullins: LT - 4/20. LT+LS - 14/20. LT+RT - 18/20

Starling Marte: LT - 10/20. LT+LS - 16/20. LT+RT - 14/20

Tyler O'Neill: LT - 5/20, LT+LS - 9/20, LT+RT - 4/20

Eli White: LT - 7/20, LT+LS - 13/20, LT+RT 13/20

Ronald Acuña: LT - 6/20, LT+LS - 16/20, LT+RT - 16/20

Kyle Tucker: LT - 1/20, LT+LS - 11/20, LT+RT - 10/20

The other methods were universally better than just pressing LT (24.3%, barely better than manual). Among these players, LT+LS had a 62.1% success rate, and holding RT while you pressed LT also had a 62.1% success rate.

I think LT by itself is just meant to be for like Hit and Runs and the like maybe. It's a drastic enough difference that it's not just a fluke. The other two methods are right on equal. They give better (and also more realistic) results.

Thanks for this. I’ve been struggling to steal with L2 only with some of the jumps being so late I’ve been in run-down territory!

So to clarify (PS5), holding LS towards 1B whilst pressing L2 gets more success? I assume you didn’t increase the lead with L1 in any of the scenarios?
Old 05-04-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
Pro

JG1986's Arena

OVR: 5

I decided last night that I was going to start a thread asking for help on this because it has been ridiculous. I play as the Mets, put the base stealer ability to 10, and upped guys like Lindor, Marte, and Nimmo's stealing attribute just so I could get a couple of stolen bases. I'm 0/17 on the year, and getting thrown out by a mile. My only question is regarding the RT. Are you letting go of that right after you tap LT twice, or are you releasing/timing as soon as the pitcher starts his windup?
Old 05-04-2022, 12:38 PM   #4
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

For multiple iterations of the game I have simply preloaded with left stick selection runner plus L2.

I would say in the last 4 or 5 versions with simply this method I have had 75-80 percent success. Including this year's version.

This has all been on default runner speed, stealing success, arm strength, or anything else that impacts base stealing.

The most important part of base stealing is running at the right times, in the right counts and situations.

Just wanted to contribute my long term findings to the discussion.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 05-04-2022, 03:11 PM   #5
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seancefc
lSo to clarify (PS5), holding LS towards 1B whilst pressing L2 gets more success? I assume you didn’t increase the lead with L1 in any of the scenarios?
Yes. Drastically more success. And no, I wasn't increasing the lead at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG1986
My only question is regarding the RT. Are you letting go of that right after you tap LT twice, or are you releasing/timing as soon as the pitcher starts his windup?
First, in my testing, tapping LT twice while holding RT was unnecessary. Tapping it once had roughly same results for me. But I hold RT (which brings up the CPU pitch selection), tap LT, release RT. The pitcher won't start their windup if you're holding RT.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2022, 08:40 AM   #6
Rookie

Seancefc's Arena

I’m having less success than ever haha!

Again, the issue (for me) is the timing of the jump seems to be completely random- mostly falling on the end of very late.

I’ve tried pressing and releasing L2 until I feel the vibration (whilst holding the LS) and I’ve tried holding onto L2 until the pitcher begins his pitching motion. Neither is giving me any success.

Does anyone know the significance of the vibration on the L2 press? Sometimes it vibrates straight away, other times it’s after a delay.
Old 05-06-2022, 10:49 AM   #7
Pro

mrsaito's Arena

OVR: 1

Donkey - when you say ‘press’ the left stick towards the occupied base is this just a quick flick like when tagging a runner up or do you need to press and hold the left stick until the runner takes off?
Old 05-06-2022, 03:32 PM   #8
Rookie

damion2721's Arena

I have auto base running on and the every time I get on base, the runner goes. No matter which base they are on. Anyone have a fit for that? Its only happened today. Oddly.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »