Home

Is there a problem with My Teams' economy?

This is a discussion on Is there a problem with My Teams' economy? within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-08-2015, 11:29 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 12
Is there a problem with My Teams' economy?

This is a long thread for a simple question but it's something very dear to me. I've played my team since its first iteration. It has come a long way and at times...has taken steps back. But I love this mode and it easily is the mode I run back to when I jump on 2k. This year arguably is the most robust which I applaud 2k for, but every thing about this mode to me screams a cash grab which has no balance. I think it's ridiculous a legend back costs 7k mtc and I would have to play 10 plus games (600 mtc per game) for around 5 hours to open 1 pack.

Recently I've been very proud of the YouTube community voicing their opinion regarding NBA 2k15s my team economy. Issues like the influx of useless players with 0 demand or worth since collection rewards suck, lack of legit ways to obtain MT coins and high demand players costing more than one can afford etc. . My favorite youtuber Chris Smoove finally came out of the wood works and shake has finally made some good points I can back him on.

I don't subscribe to shake but this entire Twitter thread has been ridiculous https://twitter.com/ronnie2k/status/564501094378651648

I want 2k to see this thread and see how the community feels. (Sorry, tapatalk doesn't allow me to add a poll).
SF: Clyde Drexler/Eddie Jones
PF: George McGinnis/Shawn Kemp
C: Hakeem Olajuwon/Alonzo Mourning
Reserves: John Havlicek/Tom Sanders

Most recent: John Starks > Isiah Thomas > Sam Jones
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2015, 12:29 AM   #2
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is there a problem with My Teams' economy?

As long as there are people willing to buy packs with real money, the system won't change. Same story with MUT. As much as you want to blame 2k, because I sure know I do, it's the community's fault as a whole for spending thousands of dollars on packs, when the majority of them know full and well that pack odds suck big time.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:27 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

The biggest issue with the economy is that there have been 3 major exploits (2 MT related, 1 VC related), which have allowed people to acquire ludicrous amounts of currency.

And one of those exploits was well known within the first week that 2K15 was out. So the market was essentially ruined from the word go.

If you want to make a game mode based on virtual currency, there can't be any exploits, or the common user who doesn't live on reddit/youtube/game forums is going to be left at a severe disadvantage.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Rookie

I'm not sure if it's as simple as jyoung is saying, but the exploits definitely didn't help.

Also, I play on PC, so keep in mind the situation is different and actually a little worse in some cases.

The main cause for the crash is the massive lack of MT available. As a result of this, there are tons of cards floating around the auction house and no one has the mt to buy them, so prices are plummeting. Now, if you have a lot of MT saved up, this is great because you can get everything but the most rare cards for nothing. The problem on PC is the lack of availability of rare cards like Onyx Kobe, Ruby Jordan, Hakeem, Vince, etc... So when you DO see those cards, they cost way more than anyone has to spend. (It seems like there is a similar situation on console, too.)

The other problem on PC is the lack of people being able to buy packs, and the resulting lack of rare players in the AH. I am currently sitting on 500k MT and I have nothing to spend it on.

So what's the endgame here? 2K has created a myteam environment in which players that eventually run out of MT (and they will) are going to have to purchase VC as their only means of being able to get cards.

In other words, this is exactly what 2K wanted.

Shake is a fool who is wasting his time talking to Ronnie. Ronnie knows exactly what's going on, and is simply playing a childish game of denial with Shake and the community. Shake seems to be under this delusion that Ronnie doesn't understand what's going on. Of course he ****ing understands. 2K is loving this, because people are literally being forced to buy VC so they can progress. They are telling Ronnie exactly what to say to these idiots like Shake who fail to understand 2K's strategy.

If Shake had any sense, he would cease all contact with Ronnie immediately and spearhead a VC boycott campaign. I have been saying for months that the only solution to this (and i mean the ONLY solution) is to stop buying VC. It's really that simple.

Last edited by jbandy10; 02-09-2015 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbandy10
I'm not sure if it's as simple as jyoung is saying, but the exploits definitely didn't help.

Also, I play on PC, so keep in mind the situation is different and actually a little worse in some cases.

The main cause for the crash is the massive lack of MT available. As a result of this, there are tons of cards floating around the auction house and no one has the mt to buy them, so prices are plummeting. Now, if you have a lot of MT saved up, this is great because you can get everything but the most rare cards for nothing. The problem on PC is the lack of availability of rare cards like Onyx Kobe, Ruby Jordan, Hakeem, Vince, etc... So when you DO see those cards, they cost way more than anyone has to spend. (It seems like there is a similar situation on console, too.)

The other problem on PC is the lack of people being able to buy packs, and the resulting lack of rare players in the AH. I am currently sitting on 500k MT and I have nothing to spend it on.

So what's the endgame here? 2K has created a myteam environment in which players that eventually run out of MT (and they will) are going to have to purchase VC as their only means of being able to get cards.

In other words, this is exactly what 2K wanted.

Shake is a fool who is wasting his time talking to Ronnie. Ronnie knows exactly what's going on, and is simply playing a childish game of denial with Shake and the community. Shake seems to be under this delusion that Ronnie doesn't understand what's going on. Of course he ****ing understands. 2K is loving this, because people are literally being forced to buy VC so they can progress. They are telling Ronnie exactly what to say to these idiots like Shake who fail to understand 2K's strategy.

If Shake had any sense, he would cease all contact with Ronnie immediately and spearhead a VC boycott campaign. I have been saying for months that the only solution to this (and i mean the ONLY solution) is the stop buying VC. It's really that simple.
You are spot on with the ronnie part. he is just the spokesperson. He is not the CEO, he does not make decisions. Hes just a puppet

http://2kmtcentral.com/18/lineups/6910/teamdavis
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Rookie

You are very right about MT drying up. I made it to about 1050 cards when I decided I wasn't interested in trying to pursue A.I. Recently, I sold all the bronze and silver players that weren't in any of my line ups, bringing me down to about 760 cards. With the market being horrible, I ended up with a little over 130k in MT. I was able to buy quite a few of the other guys I wanted, but couldn't touch the legends I was looking to get. Now, there is nothing else I plan on selling and the only way to get more MT is by grinding the last few remaining challenges or by playing RTTP games. I now have only 630 MT, I've completed all collections that give/gave MT and there really is no other way for me to get more MT without buying packs and selling the cards I get which is a complete waste. I know there will be no resolution to this problem, especially if Ronnie says he has one. He has no problems with MyTeam because he only plays it when he's trying to do a live stream, and they hook him up with whatever he needs for his team. It's easy to say there really isn't a struggle when you've never had to struggle.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:45 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

If you complete domination mode averaging 800 MT a game and not spending a cent on contract renewals, then you'll get 26,400 MT.

If you complete all the challenges without spending anything on contracts, you'll get 71,025 MT in rewards. Plus another 57,000 MT in performance rewards if you can average 600 MT per game.

That's 154,425 MT by the time you finish every thing but road to the playoffs, which is a lot of MT.

The problem with the economy is that people figured out how to make 1,000,000 MT in a matter of hours from various exploits, so 154,425 MT won't buy you many worthwhile cards on the marketplace, because the high rollers who desire those same cards still have more money to spend than could ever be made by playing the game normally.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
If you complete domination mode averaging 800 MT a game and not spending a cent on contract renewals, then you'll get 26,400 MT.

If you complete all the challenges without spending anything on contracts, you'll get 71,025 MT in rewards. Plus another 57,000 MT in performance rewards if you can average 600 MT per game.

That's 154,425 MT by the time you finish every thing but road to the playoffs, which is a lot of MT.

The problem with the economy is that people figured out how to make 1,000,000 MT in a matter of hours from various exploits, so 154,425 MT won't buy you many worthwhile cards on the marketplace, because the high rollers who desire those same cards still have more money to spend than could ever be made by playing the game normally.
Sorry dude, but you understood nothing about this situation.
EXPLOITS KEPT THIS GAME MODE ALIVE, the fact that a few people could have a lot of MT balanced somehow the market, now it's 2 weeks without MT/VC glitches around and the market is ALREADY DEAD, every card except 10/15 more rares (Jordans, some legend and some onyx) are all under 10k, every gold player is worth NOTHING.

Do you realise that this game mode without exploits that brought MT in the game woul've died by November???

2K is straight tryna robbing people, any people who buy VC is DESTROYING this game and the industry in general, if they keep going with this "Give me the money and shut the **** up" won't pay in the long way, if EA will be able to catch them... it's over, like they did with PES in 2009.

2K doesn't give a **** because RIGHT NOW has no competition, but won't be like this forever.

Personally, a huge dissappointment, always supported them since like forever, but now I'm really done, they ****ed up last year big time but I gave them a pass and... the following year they ****ed up even "better"?
No, at this point I regret to have supported you trough the years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »