Home

Breaking the game

This is a discussion on Breaking the game within the NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

OVR: 0
Breaking the game

So I was perusing the AH for these LD diamond cards looking for a Wallace replacement and I randomly decide to click Bill Russell and it was a let down for me to see his speed and speed with ball were both lower than Wallace's by 7 & 6 respectively. His athleticism is way lower in general. I think to myself that maybe they nerfed it because there is supposedly a PD Russell in the game, but 2KMTC has his athletic stats were at about the same. Now of course we never got to see them in a foot race because of eras, but one quick journey on YouTube will show you Bill catching Rebounds and going coast to coast before finishing way above the rim, even jumping completely over other players. I think it would be cool to put that in the game, especially since 2K can't seem to make shorter centers as effective as they should be defensively.
However it'd clearly break the game. I had Diamond KAT last year and with a speed shoe, he was a God. You couldn't put a normal center on him and it was the perfect counter for guys running Shaq or Yao. But honestly I think it's okay to break the game. It's clear that MT is not aiming to be sim. The difficulty is low, the gameplay is inconsistent, it literally comes down to luck in some ways, so why not completely jump the shark and add say forget sim (Mostly, I don't want to play NBA JAM).
If you play MUT on Madden you know about the Most Feared players who turn into 7 foot monsters and its fun because the tone of MUT doesn't aim to be sim.

I feel the same about Park, like you can play as a 7'3" mascot and do between the legs 360s over 4 people, but you can still get called for 3 seconds.

Do you guys want to see MT (and or Park) move away from trying to be completely real basketball and focus on being more fun?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #2
Pro

Bi00's Arena

Re: Breaking the game

You described the antithesis of what I want.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi00
You described the antithesis of what I want.
Lmaooo. I expected this kind of response and in some ways I feel it but MT has been the antithesis of sim since it's inception and I'm starting to realize that it's kind of crazy for us to ask for balance in a game mode that allows us to field a team of 13 HOFers. Can you really complain about cheese when MJ, Kobe, Bron, etc, are real life cheese? Can you complain that 3 point shooting is too good if you go up against Ray Allen, Steph, & Peja? It's unrealistic at it's core and I don't see why us or 2K even pretends like it can be balanced. It's literally a fantasy mode.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
MVP

I'd like to see a few more modes added, the game playstarts a lot better wIthaca emeralds/sapphires. With these OP cards it just turns into whoever has the finest tasting cheese or whoever the cpu decides to let win. I never really feel like I earn a victory or deserve an L
Old 01-03-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldzy
I'd like to see a few more modes added, the game playstarts a lot better wIthaca emeralds/sapphires. With these OP cards it just turns into whoever has the finest tasting cheese or whoever the cpu decides to let win. I never really feel like I earn a victory or deserve an L
That's exactly what I'm saying. Ruby Shaq dropped and the whole game shifted from stick skills to one-upmanship. It's just about who has the newest cards with the most badges. It's essentially an arcade mode already which is why I propose an all-in mentality in regards to this mode. The meta is even geared in such a way that cards that should be really useful can't be. Diamond Wallace is all but useless against dominant big men. Diamonds are discarded like trash if they can't shoot the three because that's all that matters. It's not like I'm proposing that we do this for all modes but MyTeam is already leaning toward this end of the spectrum.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #6
Pro

I would say to make MyTeam a sim mode if anything. Make a different mode for arcade type play. Or make additional modes within myteam to cater to different demographics. I wish we could have a leaderboard type RTTP which have overall lineup restrictions and start on superstar difficulty.

Also to comment related to your Bill Russell mention. The NBA released Shawn Kemps top 50 dunks of his career for his 50th birthday. Some of those dunks the way he sprints down the court coast to coast it is insane. Then I see Josh Smith has 78 speed with ball and Ruby Kemp has 48 speed with ball SMH. If 2k just got all the attributes accurate across generations I think a lot more die hard nba fans would be happier.

Last edited by Bubba13laze; 01-03-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:38 AM   #7
Pro

isdatyt's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba13laze
I would say to make MyTeam a sim mode if anything. Make a different mode for arcade type play. Or make additional modes within myteam to cater to different demographics. I wish we could have a leaderboard type RTTP which have overall lineup restrictions and start on superstar difficulty.

Also to comment related to your Bill Russell mention. The NBA released Shawn Kemps top 50 dunks of his career for his 50th birthday. Some of those dunks the way he sprints down the court coast to coast it is insane. Then I see Josh Smith has 78 speed with ball and Ruby Kemp has 48 speed with ball SMH. If 2k just got all the attributes accurate across generations I think a lot more die hard nba fans would be happier.
Exactly. A lot of these big guys have way more athleticism than given in this game. But to your other point I do like the idea of leaderboards and rankings however in MyTeam there are just too many factors in my opinion that lead me to believe this mode will never be realistic. Even on a higher difficulty I think the core gameplay issues are magnified when every player of the court is a superstar.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:00 AM   #8
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by isdatyt
Lmaooo. I expected this kind of response and in some ways I feel it but MT has been the antithesis of sim since it's inception and I'm starting to realize that it's kind of crazy for us to ask for balance in a game mode that allows us to field a team of 13 HOFers. Can you really complain about cheese when MJ, Kobe, Bron, etc, are real life cheese? Can you complain that 3 point shooting is too good if you go up against Ray Allen, Steph, & Peja? It's unrealistic at it's core and I don't see why us or 2K even pretends like it can be balanced. It's literally a fantasy mode.
No, but I can complain about the 3 point shooting of David Robinson, the FT shooting of Shaq, and the dunking with Curry.

THOSE are the problems with MyTeam player ratings imo, making players play completely unlike they did in real life so that the only thing in common they have with themselves is their looks and their name.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball MyTeam »