Home

does difficulty affect player attribute ratings?

This is a discussion on does difficulty affect player attribute ratings? within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2015, 03:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
does difficulty affect player attribute ratings?

Hey All,

Been on the forum quite a while. Mostly taking in the knowledge. But I ask this every year, and it makes a big difference in how I tweak my own sliders (kinda late to NBA 2k this year).

To be clear in case you're not, the question I'm asking is whether the difficulty level changes more than shooting windows, etc...i.e. Are the CPU player attribute ratings inflated on Hall of Fame difficulty? Are the user player attribute ratings deflated on HOF?

If so, what difficulty level retains neutral player attribute ratings for the CPU players? In other words, what is the games natural difficulty level?

Thanks so much in advance if you know this answer.

Ps. I believe kings55 was the first to discover this was indeed the case in 2k14. Even if you're not certain, your opinion is welcomed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2015, 11:10 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: does difficulty affect player attribute ratings?

Anyone?

I'd be much appreciated if someone could at least tell me they don't know or that this is a question that no on knows (especially if it's an OS O.G.).
Old 12-31-2015, 01:51 AM   #3
Rookie

Did some more research, and this is all I've found so far. Posting it here for the people who are/have viewed this:

"I see alot of complaints about the overpowered play of the CPU on the Hall of Fame & Superstar difficulty settings. I was that way too, so I decided to look into why in the world does the CPU play a virtually perfect game on those levels, while at the same time my teammates & I play like trash. I mean on those 2 settings, your teammates are virtually non-existent(play no defense, hardly ever make shots, etc.). After doing a little research, combined with a small amount of critical thinking, it now all makes sense. On the Hall of Fame & Superstar difficulty levels, the CPU has been given a substantial BOOST in attributes/ratings, while you & your teammates' attributes/ratings have been REDUCED. So that explains why your teammates stand & watch the opposing team shoot the ball right in their faces & won't even lift a finger to contest the shot. It also explains why they miss wide open jumpers, layups, & also explains why it's a lot harder for you yourself to even make a jumper. So with the boosts they've been given in attributes/ratings, you can now understand why the CPU's center can rundown your fastest point guard on a fastbreak. Before I knew all of this, it was very frustrating, but now that I know, it all makes sense. But on the Rookie & Pro difficulty settings, the USER & his/her teammates have been given the boosts in attributes/ratings, while the CPU's ratings have been reduced. The All-star difficulty is by far the most balanced/fair. No boosts have been given to either side & your teammates play as they should, defense & all, which makes for a more fun, realistic experience. Some games maybe blowouts, some games may be close, all depending on who you're playing. So when you guys complain about how the CPU shoots the lights out every single game on Hall of Fame & Superstar, regardless of who you're playing, then it's only doing what it's been programmed to do on those levels. And it all makes sense because that's the only way to increase the difficulty when you really think about it - reducing your ratings while increasing theirs. Now that I've learned that, I WILL NEVER PLAY ON ANYTHING ABOVE ALL-STAR EVER AGAIN. To me, that's no fun at all. The fact that my teammates have been turned into complete idiots plus me not being able to control them, while my opponents are virtual superheros, turns me away from those levels 180 degrees. That's not fun nor fair at all. I just wanna play the game & enjoy it, not end up angry & frustrated."

-random poster on 2ks forum.

Thoughts?
Old 01-03-2016, 07:08 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Nice write up, seems very similar to madden difficulties.....
i myself have been on pro and losing some games but now that im getting my 2k rhythm back im gonna make the jump to all star

ive never felt like i needed to mess with the sliders on nba, possibly because i dont kno basketball as well as football, but this year plays great so far.....

once again this was a good read
Thanx

http://www.twitch.tv/purecokain/profile - Streams

-The Hate Made Me Famous-
Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
MVP

JasonWilliams55's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw51188
Hey All,

Been on the forum quite a while. Mostly taking in the knowledge. But I ask this every year, and it makes a big difference in how I tweak my own sliders (kinda late to NBA 2k this year).

To be clear in case you're not, the question I'm asking is whether the difficulty level changes more than shooting windows, etc...i.e. Are the CPU player attribute ratings inflated on Hall of Fame difficulty? Are the user player attribute ratings deflated on HOF?

If so, what difficulty level retains neutral player attribute ratings for the CPU players? In other words, what is the games natural difficulty level?

Thanks so much in advance if you know this answer.

Ps. I believe kings55 was the first to discover this was indeed the case in 2k14. Even if you're not certain, your opinion is welcomed.
Most likely it is still the same. Go back to my post on how to negate the boosts to find a balance on higher levels.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2016, 03:08 AM   #6
Just started!

The difficulty does boost the CPU stats, hence the greater the VC rewards. Basically what 2K is saying to players is "We are gonna turn the CPU into beasts and dumb down your team, if you can beat that then you deserve the higher VC", best thing to do in that case is adjust the USER sliders to try balance the gameplay
Old 01-22-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
Rookie

Snoopy2quik's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw51188
Did some more research, and this is all I've found so far. Posting it here for the people who are/have viewed this:

"I see alot of complaints about the overpowered play of the CPU on the Hall of Fame & Superstar difficulty settings. I was that way too, so I decided to look into why in the world does the CPU play a virtually perfect game on those levels, while at the same time my teammates & I play like trash. I mean on those 2 settings, your teammates are virtually non-existent(play no defense, hardly ever make shots, etc.). After doing a little research, combined with a small amount of critical thinking, it now all makes sense. On the Hall of Fame & Superstar difficulty levels, the CPU has been given a substantial BOOST in attributes/ratings, while you & your teammates' attributes/ratings have been REDUCED. So that explains why your teammates stand & watch the opposing team shoot the ball right in their faces & won't even lift a finger to contest the shot. It also explains why they miss wide open jumpers, layups, & also explains why it's a lot harder for you yourself to even make a jumper. So with the boosts they've been given in attributes/ratings, you can now understand why the CPU's center can rundown your fastest point guard on a fastbreak. Before I knew all of this, it was very frustrating, but now that I know, it all makes sense. But on the Rookie & Pro difficulty settings, the USER & his/her teammates have been given the boosts in attributes/ratings, while the CPU's ratings have been reduced. The All-star difficulty is by far the most balanced/fair. No boosts have been given to either side & your teammates play as they should, defense & all, which makes for a more fun, realistic experience. Some games maybe blowouts, some games may be close, all depending on who you're playing. So when you guys complain about how the CPU shoots the lights out every single game on Hall of Fame & Superstar, regardless of who you're playing, then it's only doing what it's been programmed to do on those levels. And it all makes sense because that's the only way to increase the difficulty when you really think about it - reducing your ratings while increasing theirs. Now that I've learned that, I WILL NEVER PLAY ON ANYTHING ABOVE ALL-STAR EVER AGAIN. To me, that's no fun at all. The fact that my teammates have been turned into complete idiots plus me not being able to control them, while my opponents are virtual superheros, turns me away from those levels 180 degrees. That's not fun nor fair at all. I just wanna play the game & enjoy it, not end up angry & frustrated."

-random poster on 2ks forum.

Thoughts?
So, with that being said, is anyone gonna boost the user sliders to level the playing field on the higher difficulties to match the CPU? Or will I be better off playing on All Star?
Old 02-27-2016, 12:46 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy2quik
So, with that being said, is anyone gonna boost the user sliders to level the playing field on the higher difficulties to match the CPU? Or will I be better off playing on All Star?

Click on jasonwilliams55, he replied in this thread. Then visit his thread about his 2k14 sliders. He lays out how you negate these boosts on higher difficulty levels. I haven't done it (will probably just play on all star). But I'm sure his suggestions will carry over for the most part to 2k16.

Btw, it mostly deals with lowering certain CPU attribute ratings. Ie...youll reduce ball handling from 50 to 43, strength, speed, etc. These will make the CPU and user attributes equal. The only issue is that there are user attributes that affect game play somewhat substantially, that cannot be adjusted by the user. So there will still be some boosted play from the CPU, but id say it was 90% reduced. Basically the CPU only has a slight advantage attribute wise. But the key attributes will be equal to the users.

If you have more questions about this, let me know. I honestly have no idea why jw55 stopped making posts and threads and sliders. He's the best player in the OS NBA forum. And I been here for 12 years so I've seen everything.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »