Home

Desperately Frustrated

This is a discussion on Desperately Frustrated within the NBA 2K Basketball Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
Rookie

boblight24's Arena

OVR: 4
Desperately Frustrated

I have played 30 games, 10 minute quarter, using 3 different slider sets and have lost EVERY game by 20+ points, one by 49. I simply do not know where to go from here. I play as the '85-'86 Hawks, best player is Dominique @ 90, every else <80, so I get it we aren't great, but still. I should compete against some of these teams. I've played All-time teams, season teams, and regular NBA teams - no luck. Can I default to out of the box sliders (i.e. Pro/All-Star). Here are my issues:

1 - I don't run plays on offense, I expect people to try and get open. Problem is I have a PG/SG mid-range wide open and brick. Under the basket, Center, miss. I don't want to make everything, but come on - shooting 1 for 18 in the 1st quarter isn't realistic either.

2 - The deficit grows exponentially. Back and forth for 3-4 minutes, then that 4 point hole becomes 15 in under 2 minutes. I'll call TO and make an adjustment, but it's basket for them, miss by me, 3 for them, steal, layup for them, miss by me, another basket. It's no fun losing by 23 after 1 not having scored 10 points.

3 - Passing. WTH?!? Guy is cutting to the basket, will be wide open for an easy lay-up, PG passes, but instead of a flow the receiver has to do some contortionist act to catch it and is either ends up out of bounds or shot gets blocked. Can't pass from half court to the elbow sometimes because ball goes everywhere. And what's with the defender suddenly getting in front of my receiver as soon as I pass it. Down by 23 after 1, stat sheet shows 12 turnovers already? Not really going to be a good day.

4 - Defense - or lack there of I guess. I usually play as the C, but all of a sudden here's the PF wide open, my PF on the other side of the court, easy 2. What? I can't hold the ball for more than 2 seconds without the CPU knocking it away, how am I supposed to set up anything (if I did that is)? The steals are ridiculous.

Only slider set of note that I haven't tried is TOMBA. Should I give that a try before packing up for GameStop?

Please I'm begging for any advice, help, anything. I love basketball, I love the All-Time teams, please help. Thanks!
"A two count is routine. You kick out at two if you aren’t done. Kicking out at one is a MESSAGE. It says NO in capital letters. A middle finger. A promise that the other man is going to have to kill you if they’re going to put you down." ~ Brandon Stroud
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Banned

hoopsfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Desperately Frustrated

null/void/delete

Last edited by hoopsfan; 08-21-2019 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Errors/delete
Old 08-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
Banned

hoopsfan's Arena

In order for anyone to help you, here are some questions you can post answers to:

1. Mode (PlayNow, MyLeague, etc...modes play differently from each other)?

2. Online or Offline?

3. Difficulty (this matters before putting in any slider set numbers)?

What I suggest:

Yes, try any slider set you want. Sliders are there to fit how you want to play the game. Why? Because one set is not for everyone. Depending on the mode, yes there are some slider sets that are widely accepted by most here on this forum. However, you have to be happy with what set you are using. Therefore, why not use a set as a base to tweak to your own desire, or even create your own? 2K gives you the tools to tweak the necessary problem areas you've discussed.

CPU jumping in front of your receiver can be fixed with Movement Sliders. Also, you have play passing lanes tendency to work with...and maybe a few other areas. If you want better passing accuracy, increase it. You don't have to keep your shooting success sliders "low" when using someone else's set. Boost them if you need to. No one here on this forum can control you or how you wish to play the game just because they say so in their threads. The tools are there for you. It is your game. No one else's. Just my words of advice and encouragement.

Last edited by hoopsfan; 08-21-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #4
Rookie

boblight24's Arena

My League - Season Mode
League is 36 Teams, best season teams

Off-Line

Started with All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsfan
In order for anyone to help you, here are some questions you can post answers to:

1. Mode (PlayNow, MyLeague, etc...modes play differently from each other)?

2. Online or Offline?

3. Difficulty (this matters before putting in any slider set numbers)?

What I suggest:

Yes, try any slider set you want. Sliders are there to fit how you want to play the game. Why? Because one set is not for everyone. Depending on the mode, yes there are some slider sets that are widely accepted by most here on this forum. However, you have to be happy with what set you are using. Therefore, why not use a set to tweak to your own desire, or even create your own? 2K gives you the tools to tweak the necessary problem areas you've discussed.

CPU jumping in front of your receiver can be fixed with Movement Sliders. Also, you have play passing lanes tendency to work with...and maybe a few other areas. If you want better passing accuracy, increase it. You don't have to keep your shooting success sliders "low" when using someone else's set. Boost them if you need to. No one here on this forum can control you or how you wish to play the game just because they say so in their threads. The tools are there for you. It is your game. No one else's. Just my words of advice and encouragement.
"A two count is routine. You kick out at two if you aren’t done. Kicking out at one is a MESSAGE. It says NO in capital letters. A middle finger. A promise that the other man is going to have to kill you if they’re going to put you down." ~ Brandon Stroud
Old 08-21-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 3

I definitely feel your frustration: Right now, I am playing on Pro difficulty and I have played since 2K6. I have played basketball and football simulations and video games long before 2K6 as well. In previous years I have usually played on Hall Of Fame. I play Pro on game speed 100 so that ups the difficulty.

In the last two years, when I was frustrated and not having fun: I would take the difference in score and add that to all of my attribute sliders, and subtract the same amount from the CPU attribute sliders. This would allow me to get better with the subtle game changes from year to year without getting the hell beat out of me.

As I would improve I would change the sliders, getting them closer for user and CPU, with having sliders even as the eventual goal. I would suggest that to get you up and running and having fun. After that, dive-in to the forum and digest the nuance that goes with various slider settings to find your basketball heaven.

Also, you can walk it back to Rookie and Pro and see if the CPU beats your pants off. Play a quarter on Rookie: If you are up by 10 or more, it is time to go Pro. Pro usually can be beaten with out-of-the-box settings. You can proceed back to All-star with the slider strategy previously outlined, or stay at Pro and makes things easier for the CPU.

Last edited by mcdowell31; 08-21-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
Banned

hoopsfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdowell31
I definitely feel your frustration: Right now, I am playing on Pro difficulty and I have played since 2K6. I have played basketball and football simulations and video games long before 2K6 as well. In previous years I have usually played on Hall Of Fame. I play Pro on game speed 100 so that ups the difficulty.

In the last two years, when I was frustrated and not having fun: I would take the difference in score and add that to all of my attribute sliders, and subtract the same amount from the CPU attribute sliders. This would allow me to get better with the subtle game changes from year to year without getting the hell beat out of me.

As I would improve I would change the sliders, getting them closer for user and CPU, with having sliders even as the eventual goal. I would suggest that to get you up and running and having fun. After that, dive-in to the forum and digest the nuance that goes with various slider settings to find your basketball heaven.

Also, you can walk it back to Rookie and Pro and see if the CPU beats your pants off. Play a quarter on Rookie: If you are up by 10 or more, it is time to go Pro. Pro usually can be beaten with out-of-the-box settings. You can proceed back to All-star with the slider strategy previously outlined, or stay at Pro and makes things easier for the CPU.
I might have to steal your idea (just joking) and play on game speed 100/pro. I'm assuming that you have adjusted movement sliders a great, great deal to fit the game speed.

By the way, Rookie is actually a lot more fun than most people would think with the right sliders...on any 2K.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:47 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 3

Hey hey hoopsfan, here is what I am rolling with now for movement:

Game Speed: 100

USER/CPU

Pass Accuracy: 0
Pass Speed: 30
Acceleration: 50
Speed: 25
Lateral Quickness: 50

MOVEMENT

Speed with Ball (Max rating): 65
Speed with Ball (Min rating): 30
Acceleration with Ball (Max rating): 100
Acceleration with Ball (Min rating): 0
Speed without Ball (Max rating): 65
Speed without Ball (Min rating): 30
Acceleration without Ball (Max rating): 100
Acceleration without Ball (Min rating): 0
Old 08-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
Rookie

boblight24's Arena

Took the advice and started at All-Star default and tweaked as I saw fit, until the game felt right, does that make sense?

Still the '85-86 Hawks, played the '12-'13 Heat and lost again, BUT I never felt like I was out of it. I was down between 7 and 15 from about halfway through the first until the end, but I felt like I was competing. I didn't have an answer for LeBron (duh), but had I made a few plays here and there it would have been a far different outcome. I know 1 game means nothing, but compared to the other losses this one didn't make me want to launch my controller into outer space.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Sliders »