Home

Improving Audio and Atmosphere

This is a discussion on Improving Audio and Atmosphere within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
yellow

23's Arena

OVR: 65
Improving Audio and Atmosphere

Alright guys I want to start an audio thread for 2k to read since we're on nex gen. I know that the arena sounds have been improved, and I hear a variation on things like arena specific music which is cool, but they can take it a step further and post some video ideas if you'd like, because that's what im going to start with.

First off the rim sounds are awful and its been the same since dreamcast. I'd like 2k to incorporate some real NBA sounds with the offense, making jumpers which right now sounds like an old hollow cylinder from a museum, and the dunks which are just bad. Here are about 3 sounds below just so I won't overflow the post too much.

Things to notice

Crowd reaction, rim sound (and its noticeable bend), Announcer reaction

Crowd reaction, Player scream

This is how a long jumper should sound hitting the rim hard

Rim sound, announcer, crowd (kinda muffled)

Adding more stuff like this would go a long way in the game

Okay here is a bonus one of a bunch of game winners. Varying crowd sounds, how the rim sounds and the announcers as well as how players react

Last edited by 23; 01-06-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Improving Audio and Atmosphere

love it... theres no excuse to not have all this extra audio stuff added with NG
Old 01-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
yellow

23's Arena

Some of that is not even extra, its just normal. The rim sounds have always been bad. It was the same sound in college hoops and now it sounds like they're dunking through the entire backboard support structure. Its wrong...

When they make jumpers I still hear that bad hollow sound which I could capture some audio for you just so you could see what I mean and I will because its so off.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

i wouldnt really know. 99% of the time im playing im listening to ESPN radio
Old 01-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
yellow

23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by turty11
i wouldnt really know. 99% of the time im playing im listening to ESPN radio
No worries, you can listen then compare to those videos
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2014, 02:40 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Crowd reaction, Player scream
I think this clip is also a good example of the NBA rim's side-flex. Beginning a few years ago, the NBA switched to rims that offered a more dynamic breakaway. Most breakaway rims in the world all tend to breakaway in one direction (forward), regardless of dunking angle. The new NBA rims, in contrast (as you can see in the Nate clip), will now often breakaway in the angle from which the dunk is coming, even if it's a dunk on the side or baseline.

It'd be a great additional detail in the 2K series.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #7

m1ke_nyc's Arena

OVR: 7

This is a great thread, the thing that bothers me the most is the atmosphere. The close late game situations still aren't replicated well. Then game winning shots while improved still there isnt enough emotion from announcers, the players or the crowd. There should be varying atmospheres at all times from rival matchups, to playoff and finals atmosphere. A Heat vs Pacers regular season game feels like a playoff matchup. Then throughout games we need the crowd more alive, when someone pulls off a ankle breaker the crowd tends to go "whooooaaaa" and we dont see that in 2K. The crowd doesnt get hype for poster slams or atleast not correctly. Its always that same generic cheer, on posters in real life everyone goes "oooooooooooooooh" These are some things I wanted to see added to the game. You can see alot of this in the clips you posted but its missing from the game.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #8
yellow

23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I think this clip is also a good example of the NBA rim's side-flex. Beginning a few years ago, the NBA switched to rims that offered a more dynamic breakaway. Most breakaway rims in the world all tend to breakaway in one direction (forward), regardless of dunking angle. The new NBA rims, in contrast (as you can see in the Nate clip), will now often breakaway in the angle from which the dunk is coming, even if it's a dunk on the side or baseline.

It'd be a great additional detail in the 2K series.

Yeah that would be nice.. they got the bend part though.. a little bit which is cool

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »