Home

Regarding the new injury system in nba 2k15 and how it should work moving for...

This is a discussion on Regarding the new injury system in nba 2k15 and how it should work moving for... within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
Regarding the new injury system in nba 2k15 and how it should work moving for...

I have some thoughts about how the new injury system should be implemented and while I realize that it may be too late in the development system to be added into the game, or maybe it's already been discussed on development side, I'd like to share them with everyone. This will be a long post, so I decided to create a thread for it, rather than post it in the my league thread. But if you feel it should be moved here, please do so.

I would like to start off by saying that certain injuries should affect players in different ways. We all know that there will be a new durability system implemented into the game that can have possible career shortening effects on a player depending on the bosh part, but I think things need to to further, and also, certain things need to be differentiated.

First things first: a wrist injury is not a career threatening injury, however a knee injury is, so there should be some differentiation in terms of how they effect players in the long and short term.

When a injury happens to a certain body part, there needs to be a separation between certain injury types. I'm not talking about a sprained knee vs a broken knee cap or something, for example, let's examine two potentially career threatening injuries, one that we have seen shorten players careers, and one that we have seen players come back from and continue to play at a high level:

If a player tears his ACL, that knee should see a drastic change in it's durability rating, but certain other impacts, for instance, the impact on a players career longevity, should be different from when a player has something like micro fracture surgery.

Players that have had their careers drastically affected by micro fracture surgery: Kenyon Martin, Tracy McGrady,, Greg oden.

Players have experienced a torn ACL: Adrian Peterson, Russell Westbrook, Derrick rose.

There is a drastic difference between these two lists.

On one side, a micro fracture surgery can cost a player his career and without question can shorten it. Guys like Andrew Bynum,Amare Stoudemire, Tmac and Greg oden have played less games, have had to sit out for rest, and have had to either retire early or step away from the game for a while in order to continue their careers.

On the other side, you see players miss time, like Westbrook, Adrian Peterson, and others,yet return back to normal, or even better than before the injury.

Suffice to say, these are two completely different injuries and should be treated differently in 2k.

If a player has micro fracture surgery, that player should see permanent reductions in their speed and acceleration attributes, in addition to having that knee become permanently susceptible to future injury if it gets "stressed out".

While a guy with a torn ACL should not see these permanent reductions and should only see temporary reductions in those same attributes, but the likelihood if tearing the ACL in his other knee should go up, like it does in real life. (I cannot find the article right now, but I'm someone in this thread will. When you tear one ACL, the likelihood of the ACL in your other knee goes up)

How injured should affect players with the new injury system:

For example. Player X has microfracture surgery and sees these permanent reductions -5 speed, -5 acceleration, -5 potential, -5 stamina (You will still be able to increase these attributes in the future via training camps, etc, but you will permanently see those initial drops). And also the chance of injury in that knee gets higher.

Player Y has a torn ACL, -3 speed, -3 acceleration -3 stamina, -3 potential on a temporary basis until that player gets back to being fully healthy (maybe 1 or two months after returning from the injury). In addition to a higher risk of a potential future knee injury, including tearing your other ACL

Only certain injures should have career threatening affects:

Ex. If a player gets a non career threatening injury, like a broken wrist, for that type of injury we should see -3 medium -3 close, -3 layup -3 dunk, etc for a temporary basis, similar to the ACL injury mentioned above.

Minute caps and stress:

The next thing that should be introduced are minute caps. If your player has a potential career threatening injury,you should recieve a suggested minute cap from your training staff in order to manage stress in the injured body part.

If you have a guy who had microfracture surgery, you should have to make decisions in when to rest him, how much playing time that guy gets, hand whether he can or cannot participate in back to back games, in order to manage stress in that body part so he can have as long a career as possible.

I should not be able to toss Andrew Bynum out there for 30 minutes per game with no penalty and just pray that he doesn't get injured during the games I play. The more playing time I give him, the more stress should impact that body part and I should have to make management decisions in order to keep his career going. I should have to limit his minutes per game, rest him in back to back games and long road trips, etc.

A guy like Bynum or Oden should be limited to maybe 10 minutes per game as suggested by your medical staff. If he plays more than that (not something like "he played 11 minutes tonight, the penalty automatically activates"), I mean if he goes out there for 15-20 minutes if action, I should be penalized. I shouldn't be able to play him again until the swelling in his knees goes down (after a few days) and the durability rating on that knee should drop. And when it drops to a certain level, that player should retire. Or maybe the player decides to sit out a year ( if they are still relatively young) and come back when the durability of that knee is higher

Extending the careers of older players:

Also, older players should be able to have longer careers if we limit their minutes. For example, if you have a player that is 34 years old, he should retire sooner if you decide to play him 36 minutes per game for 82 games, than a guy who plays 20 minute per game and sits out for 12 games and only plays 70.

So in closing,as we move forward toward a more realistic injury system, some other factors should be considered in order to make the system work even better than it will in 2k15.

Does anyone have any thoughts,comments or suggestions on how the new injury system should be implemented?

Last edited by frankwest718; 08-10-2014 at 04:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #2
NBA 2K AI Software Engineer

OVR: 13
Re: Regarding the new injury system in nba 2k15 and how it should work moving for...

I'm all smiles right now. You just have no idea how much of this is already in 2K15.
Novato, CA, USA
Old 08-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Banned

Re: Regarding the new injury system in nba 2k15 and how it should work moving for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftos
I'm all smiles right now. You just have no idea how much of this is already in 2K15.
I had a feeling you guys were going to do something like this, awesome!
Old 08-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24

Great points, and glad to see a lot of what you said has been implemented. But didn't Westbrook tear his meniscus and not his ACL?
Anyways, I hope that trainers play a vital part in the healing process. For example, the Suns staff should be A+ IMO. When their player gets injured IRL, they usually come back 100% ala Amare Stoudemire off microfracture, Eric Bledsoe off meniscus tear, and you can also make a case for Blake Griffin off of microfracture and the Clippers training staff. But when they go to a team with an average staff i.e. NY Knicks with Amare, the effects should show more and the decline in health should begin.

CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Last edited by Phreezy P; 08-10-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #5
Pro

shegotgame's Arena

OVR: 5

Very good, thoughtful post. Thank you! I can't wait, Leftos.

Came to save the game like a memory card. - MF DOOM

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

I just hope they fixed injuries for online leagues. I don't care about all of this if you go to your online league and you find out hat there are basically no injuries and the few ones are always 1 or 2 weeks of duration, doesn't matter if it's a broken foot or a twisted ankle.

It's been like this FOR YEARS. Just one of many proofs of this developer's actual laziness
Old 08-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

I sort of figured all of this to be in.

This will get very interesting in a MyLeague or Online League when dudes want to play Wade, Kobe etc 30+ minutes in the regular season and then their ratings are dropping from nagging injuries or they need time off. The only thing I want to know is what we can do to lower the chance of injury say in the offseason lower weight or experimental treatment basically a maintenance plan for the offseason

The only thing I hope they have is a like an injury report or trainer menu that lists out player status menu that has the medical history of each player in your MyLeague even if your player is not injured.

I can already see it:

Wade: needs to rest his knees during the season will need to take games off.

Pop: Is going to rest Duncan, Manu, Parker
Old 08-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I sort of figured all of this to be in.

This will get very interesting in a MyLeague or Online League when dudes want to play Wade, Kobe etc 30+ minutes in the regular season and then their ratings are dropping from nagging injuries or they need time off. The only thing I want to know is what we can do to lower the chance of injury say in the offseason lower weight or experimental treatment basically a maintenance plan for the offseason

The only thing I hope they have is a like an injury report or trainer menu that lists out player status menu that has the medical history of each player in your MyLeague even if your player is not injured.

I can already see it:

Wade: needs to rest his knees during the season will need to take games off.

Pop: Is going to rest Duncan, Manu, Parker
I was also thinking of the weight thing, but only for created players.

Chances are if we wanted to add or lose 10 pounds of muscle to Howard in the offseason, we would either see his physical body not change at all or if it changes, it may just look weird.

However for created players it could be interesting because it won't break immersion because it's already a created player.

So for instance, if a player is susceptible to knee injuries, you make him lose weight and then the durability of the knee increases because there is less weight on them.

Also, in addition to that, I would like to see some rookies come into the league without a position.

For example, you are team X, and then you draft player V and he's listed as a C/PF, and basically you choose which position you want him to be listed as.

This system will have more impact if the player is listed as a SF/PF, if you pick SF, his yearly progression(the one the game does) will focus on improving his shooting skills and on ball defense. Whereas you chose that you want him to be a PF and then his rebounding and low post defense is what progresses mainly each year.

Just a little touch. Every player wouldn't be listed as having two positions, but some should.

Like that guy Gordon who got drafted this year, who could be a 3 or a 4

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »