Home

Not sure if old but Steam providing a little info to 2k15 MyCareer

This is a discussion on Not sure if old but Steam providing a little info to 2k15 MyCareer within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:53 PM   #17
MVP

I Djm's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Not sure if old but Steam providing a little info to 2k15 MyCareer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemplateR
Besides Summer League, I hope for D-League.
Me too hopefully its there for a real reason
Old 08-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #18
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
I don't mind cut scenes and storylines as someone that has thoroughly played MyPlayer/Career since the beginning because simply playing games over and over again is boring as **** after a while. Only thing that I would ask is that they not be as cheesy, more choices for different paths to take so that not everyone is on the exact same story and an ability to skip for those that don't want any storylines.

Honestly, if it's feasible, bringing back the Draft Combine download would be fantastic. It was a short little mode that let us all get our 2K fix a little bit earlier than usual and it just made sense. Summer League and the D-League is a must as well. Really give us the chance to live the NBA life for better or worse.
I agree, MyPlayer is waaayy too cheesy
Storylines/cutscenes are good for the mode
I would rather them be more realistic tho...
Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #19
Rookie

Khaos_Kiwi's Arena

If there is a story line, then so be it.

The cut-scenes just better be skippable.

Don't wanna be seeing the same thing over and over again when I start new career's.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #20
MVP

lakers24's Arena

I don't mind the story elements, but are so cheesy it's cringe worthy. If they limited it to actual NBA stuff instead of trying to do the "Wassup my dawg, yo son" crap it'd work better. Not to mention the mid court before games stuff which is terrible. If they had it for all your endorsements like commercial shoots, cover shoots, winning awards, etc. it'd be a bit more believable.

This is where I think they need to bring in a Madden type concept instead of the predetermined Jeremy Lin type ascension they have now.
Choosing how to start your career path would at least make it feel a bit more realistic if I suddenly become some star. If I want that, I can choose to be a transcendent talent or star, each with it's pros and cons. Or, if I want to do the long grind and really come from nowhere(like Jeremy Lin) I could choose role player;

Pressure

Transcendent- You start with a higher overall and higher caps for skills. You get drafted anywhere between 1-7 and you are placed in the starting lineup right off the bat. It'd also be easier to get endorsements early into your career.
The negative side would be that you are faced with competing against history. Your milestones and Hall of Fame list is on another scale compared to others(ala LeBron). Meaning you have HARD deadlines for certain accomplishments:

For example, your teams' record must improve by 15 wins your first year and 20 your second, making the playoffs a certain number of years without missing or winning 50+ games a season 10+ years consecutively(a nod to Dirk/Duncan & Melo in a sense). Winning ASG MVP, MVP, DPOY, Finals MVP in one season etc.
Now, if you don't live up to expectations to begin your career, fans/media even your team can turn on you and give up on you. This lowers your overall due to low morale. You can get benched quicker and may wind up in the D-League if you don't turn it around.

Star- You can get drafted anywhere between 1-14 and you start with a decent overall. Depending on the team you may or may not start, but you also have a little more leeway for not living up to expectations. It takes longer to receive endorsements and to progress your player, etc. Hall of Fame requirements are a little bit more forgiving and attainable and so on.

I think doing that would make it a bit similar to 2k10 where you could choose the path you wanted to take versus instant stardom 20 games into your first season. Btw, Summer League and the Draft Combine definitely need to come back for this.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:16 PM   #21
MVP

infam0us's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaos_Kiwi
If there is a story line, then so be it.

The cut-scenes just better be skippable.

Don't wanna be seeing the same thing over and over again when I start new career's.
But how would you know it's the custodians birthday?

I mean your birthday only comes once a year unless it's 2k where the guy has like 15 per seasonn.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 2

To be fair, we've been starting at an undrafted rookie tryout for the last few years. During the rookie showcase, you're undrafted (obviously) and you're essentially trying out. Based upon how well you play, determines which teams wish to draft you and you overall place in the draft. Just pointing out this doesn't necessarily mean anything has changed in this regard. I hope it has, as the draft combine was one my favorite 2k experiences and I would love to see it reintroduced, even if it's optional and can be bypassed for those feeling that the process is too long. Kind of like being able to skip preseason games in Association.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #23
MVP

infam0us's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman38134
To be fair, we've been starting at an undrafted rookie tryout for the last few years. During the rookie showcase, you're undrafted (obviously) and you're essentially trying out. Based upon how well you play, determines which teams wish to draft you and you overall place in the draft. Just pointing out this doesn't necessarily mean anything has changed in this regard. I hope it has, as the draft combine was one my favorite 2k experiences and I would love to see it reintroduced, even if it's optional and can be bypassed for those feeling that the process is too long. Kind of like being able to skip preseason games in Association.
Not exactly the same because you are in a game with the best prospects, aren't the names of the team 'The Elites' and 'The Stars'? You are supposed to be someone from the get go.

An undrafted rookie tryout would be like Summer league or D-League tryouts where players actually have to pay to tryout for the D-League teams (hint hint future 2k MyCareer games )

I like what Lakers24 said where you should have different paths where they all lead to different things. They already have the player roles and such and those could be the end game.

Star
Starter
Sixth Man
Role Player
Bench Warmer -I doubt anyone wants to be a career bench warmer so you could probably leave that option

There is a lot things they can tweak to make the MyCareer mode unique and different for users.

Star - Path options would be being a top 5 pick, 6-14 lottery pick, rest of the draft and then the undrafted route.

Starter - Path would be the same thing but you aren't a top tier guy, think like Lance Stephenson, you are not the man but you have a nice role.

Sixth Man and Role Player - Path option would be Late 1st round, 2nd round, or undrafted.

If you go for the low pick, or undrafted route you start off with a lower overall making the mode more challenging. And then depending on the road you take you have rating caps at different levels. Star players can get most attributes to 90s, starters can get some to 90s, most 80s, and a few to the 70s, and you guys get the point for the other roads.

There is a lot that can be done with this mode to give it more value and make it more fun.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #24
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

I don't think you should be pigeonholed into a career path that your endgame turns out being a sixth man if you take that path. I may want to start as a nobody who makes his way to superstar status eventually. Picking the sixth man path and then only being limited to eventually becoming a career sixth man isn't exactly ideal.

I do think the Madden approach works well though. Being able to choose the path of a lottery pick, mid to late first round pick, second round pick or undrafted rookie is perfect. Perhaps each path opens up it's own set of cut scenes and storylines to follow.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »