Home

This 'Shot fatigue' thing is the most ridiculous mechanics for 2k15

This is a discussion on This 'Shot fatigue' thing is the most ridiculous mechanics for 2k15 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Angry This 'Shot fatigue' thing is the most ridiculous mechanics for 2k15

Let me just quote from one who I really agree much with,

Reddit - KLoveUnleashed
'I think it is just a stupid idea for balance. I keep seeing everyone say "I like the idea but it just doesn't work right". But if you ask me it doesn't make any sense really. There is no such thing as shot fatigue in basketball, there's just body fatigue. Basketball players put up hundreds of shots each day in practice without "shot fatigue" setting in. I could spot up and shoot jumpers continuously for an hour and wouldn't experience a major drop in percentage... but if I had to sprint up and down the floor in between each shot... then we'd have a problem. What limits a player is actual body fatigue, not some mythical thing called shot fatigue.'

It is never an acceptable design to make up with something completely not basketball-like into the game and calling it simulation-based basketball. Like it's said, there's no such thing as 'shot fatigue' in the real world. A guy who shot the ball 30 times in the 1st half and made many of them doesn't automatically get nerfed by God because he thinks this guy is shooting too well.

Shot quality becoming D on even completely WIDE OPEN SHOTS with shooting rating over 90 is the stupidest and most frustrating experience I've ever had.

Example 1
In MyTeam Mode, I bought KD from the market and hoping to have him share the load on offense with my pack-opened Stephen Curry. In one of the tough games, KD was so hot he could not miss and scored 30+ before the halftime whistle. Since I gave him the Golden Unfazed badge (spent a lot on buying them), he came back still hot. So I figured, 'he's doing so well, let's keep feeding him the ball'. And guess what?

Suddenly, his open shots hits B+ quality. B+ is still okay, and he still nailed a couple of shots. And then, right after a transition, the next shot he took became D, with very early release.

I would have lost the game if Curry wasn't there to take over the game and carry the team through.

Example 2

MyCareer. I saved up so hard and decided to make my guy a pure shooter to help my poor shooting Suns team (at least at the beginning when I have limited VC). So I poured in all the VC to my player's shooting attributes and made them all 87. I even bought the boost to make all shooting became 92, deadly.

Bought MJ's shooting animation. Quick, deadly. I practiced in the gym and nailed many shots. So I entered a game and hoping to dominate. That's the point of the game mode, isn't it?

So I hit 31 in the game against the Warriors, killing the Curry-Thompson combination and was leading by 12 going into second half. Since I'm a starter with 30+ minutes I'm mostly on the court, so I decided to keep scoring, since I have the 'Volume Shooter', 'Never get cold', 'Microwave' badges all in gold tier.

The rest is history. Tanked shot quality. Grade D all the way, and even F for contested jumpers. Layups would miss and the only way to score is to hit a dunk (no shot meter required shots, basically). I scored 31 on the 1st half, and I scored 9 on the 2nd! I had 61% FG percentage on the 1st half because I selected my shots wisely and went into the paint too to keep myself from missing. I had 23% FG percentage on the 2nd half! This made up for 42% FG in the end.

I took smart shots. Open Js. All bricked. Never made one. I was still too used to shooting the ball when wide open and this stupid 'shot fatigue' is forcing me to change my game.

Conclusion:
I didn't change my game because of the CPU adjusting to my style of play (which is supposed to be the realistic thing), but instead because of a newly-introduced mechanic, breaking the game. It unrealistically forced me to change my game and I do not like to be manipulated into accommodating to the game mechanics. I play the game to enjoy the game and to be immersed, not to be constrained by some lackluster system that isn't even supposed to be in the real sport.

Just like what I quoted, 'There is no such thing as shot fatigue in basketball, there's just body fatigue'. If fatigue must play a role, that should be the only factor.

I hope 2k looks into this and understand that you should completely remove this feature from the game and from your mind in the future. It might be too late for this patch, but I hope you can patch this crappy system out asap.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Rookie

unc_kobw's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: This 'Shot fatigue' thing is the most ridiculous mechanics for 2k15

I've had multiple games where I shoot high 50% to low 60%, only for it to be followed by a 20% shooting second half.

If my opponent keeps leaving the same players open and I keep getting the same shots, why in the world should I start missing because of "shot fatigue". 2K has been my favorite game the past 5 years, but I'm not fond of this years version.
NFL: Seattle Seahawks

Madden SFL League - If you beat them, they will boot you.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Rookie

Exactly my point. It's just an unfair piece of design to create 'realistic' statistics for the final box chart. This isn't what I was looking for. If 2k was to create gameplay that immerses, they should pay attention to AI, defense, rotations, and other factors that make the game realistic, not by introducing some stupid thing so that they can take a break from balancing those things.

And I mean, I should be rewarded for my smart style of gameplay. I mean, what if I really played very well? Why should I miss those shots when I should be hitting 80% of them? It's unfair, lazy, and unreasonable. I've never felt so frustrated in playing the game, knowing that at some point I need to stop shooting the ball. I'm being pulled strings by 2k's design, and I don't feel like I can enjoy it 100%, even with its much improved gameplay.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
There is no such thing as shot fatigue in basketball, there's just body fatigue. Basketball players put up hundreds of shots each day in practice without "shot fatigue" setting in.
LOL^ Clearly this guy has never actually played. Your arms DEFINITELY get tired from shooting a lot, yes it's body fatigue, of course it is but it's specifically related to shooting a lot.

Your legs also get very tired if you're practicing 3's.

Anyone who has played knows that putting up "hundreds" of shots in practice is exhausting and eventually your form begins to slip.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGSW
LOL^ Clearly this guy has never actually played. Your arms DEFINITELY get tired from shooting a lot, yes it's body fatigue, of course it is but it's specifically related to shooting a lot.

Your legs also get very tired if you're practicing 3's.

Anyone who has played knows that putting up "hundreds" of shots in practice is exhausting and eventually your form begins to slip.
You DONT ACTUALLY SHOOT 'hundreds' of shots in any NBA game. That's not the point.

Most importantly, this 'shot fatigue' would continue to haunt you even after anything - I had a game where the effect kicked in on the 2nd quarter. So are you telling me my player's arms should be 'tired' because he shot the ball 15 times and made 30+ points? And even if 15 shots got his muscles tired, you're telling me he could not recover after a half time timeout? I even manually called timeout during the game and nothing changed.

So, yes, your arms will be tired if you shoot hundreds of shots IN A ROW, but not when YOU RESTED BETWEEN THE SHOTS. You don't hold your arm up and shoot for the whole 48 minutes. You put them down and your muscles relax and you even get timeouts. This is not a justifiable reason for the game's flaw, because it doesn't resemble the real life game. It's a cheat from 2k to make its overt stats look 'realistic'

So please don't try to justify it by picking out the words that seemed illogical, but the entire meaning of the thread. I'm not criticizing it on such extremely basis as you imagined, but on such basis that 1.) it has been complained by many on different sites; 2.) I've made sure I tested it out thoroughly before complaining

Last edited by Herman925; 10-23-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
You don't hold your arm up and shoot for the whole 48 minutes.
No. But you do play defense, which means your arms are up. Have you ever actually played basketball? Your arms get tired, your legs get tired, the more you're asked to do on both ends the more tired you get and the more difficult it becomes to do these things.

Let's take a real life example;

Stephen Curry averages a FG% of 51% in the first quarter, 45% in the second, 44% in the third and 46% in the fourth.

It's obvious that the more he played and the more he shot, the more tired he became and the more he missed. Yes, rest helps but it doesn't magically rejuvenate you.

This is true for most guys who shoot a lot.

Durant averages well above 50% in the first half of games but below 50% in the second half.

Melo averages just below 50% in the first half, he shoots 45% in the 3rd and nearly 38% in the fourth.

Kobe averaged about 46% in the first quarter during the 2011 season, he averaged barely 39% in the fourth.

I'm not saying the mechanic in the game isn't flawed or can't be altered/improved. I'm simply saying the premise of "shot fatigue" not existing is utterly foolish.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
Rookie

unc_kobw's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
No. But you do play defense, which means your arms are up. Have you ever actually played basketball? Your arms get tired, your legs get tired, the more you're asked to do on both ends the more tired you get and the more difficult it becomes to do these things.

Stephen Curry averages a FG% of 51% in the first quarter, 45% in the second, 44% in the third and 46% in the fourth.

It's obvious that the more he played and the more he shot, the more tired he became and the more he missed. Yes, rest helps but it doesn't magically rejuvenate you.

Durant averages well above 50% in the first half of games but below 50% in the second half.

Melo averages just below 50% in the first half, he shoots 45% in the 3rd and nearly 38% in the fourth.

Kobe averaged about 46% in the first quarter during the 2011 season, he averaged barely 39% in the fourth.

I'm not saying the mechanic in the game isn't flawed or can't be altered/improved. I'm simply saying the premise of "shot fatigue" not existing is utterly foolish.
I know players get more tired over the course of a game, but I also credit the drop in %'s to deal with the type of defense being played too. The intensity and effort grows as the game progresses. That sagging off in the first quarter becomes tight d in the fourth quarter.

I'm more aggravated about the amount of open shots missed. I could play 5 possessions in a row with perfect ball movement and finding the open man for what should be a high % shot, only to miss it every time because that's how the game is programmed. This is driving me beyond as frustrated as I've ever been with a game.
NFL: Seattle Seahawks

Madden SFL League - If you beat them, they will boot you.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #8
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:

Right, but doesnt this go back to the OP's point about this being the result of body fatigue rather than "shot fatigue?" I've never gotten tired from shooting jumpers in a game, the entire game is what fatigues me. I'd shoot 400-600 jumpers a day, but in a game I think the most jump shots I ever shot was 22.

PSN: MiiikeMarsh

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »