Home

Post Patch On-Ball Defense

This is a discussion on Post Patch On-Ball Defense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2015, 12:37 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Post Patch On-Ball Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Listen, I was one of the ones that had reservations about OBD being tweaked, I wasn't having issues getting past guys...

What I do think the change benefits are mid post face up players like BG. Since there wasn't much operating room the stickiness was a lot more apparent I didn't feel like I could dominate in this area...so I like that aspect.

SO FAR it doesn't feel OVERBOARD - and I definitely don't agree with the idea they completely took skill out of it....I still felt LBJ's pressure playing with Melo...

It's early though...
Ah. The first post of any substance that brings up any type of legitimate point.

Steph Curry isn't the best defender, but he should be able to cut Steve Blake off. I don't know if this was a one-off instance though. But you're right in that it's still early. I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:56 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 0

Maybe it's something I need to adjust to, but I do feel like the 'blow-by' animation is happening against me much more often when I go to cut someone off and body them.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #19
Banned

thedream2k16's Arena

[quote=ESRyder312;2047838268]To be clear, I'm not stating concerns about defense only. In the same token, I shouldn't be able to consistently blow by LeBron with Marcus Morris.

This patch has effectively removed the need for any skill, strategy, or common sense from the offense. Instead of forcing players to learn the game, and string together effective offensive moves, or run plays to get open, players can now sit on the turbo button on their way to the rim.

Honestly, most people who play this game have little skill, sense of strategy, or otherwise. So, what you have now is people who don't know basketball, never played a lick in their entire lives, or otherwise have any experience with basketball, able to just run around defenders like they're inanimate objects.

Why play sim when I could just hold turbo and easily get around the defender? Why even run plays if I don't need to do anything to get an open look?

I was fine with the defense the way it was. I still was able to consistently get open looks. Why? Because I took the time to learn the game.

If anyone here is concerned with my credentials, and whether I can read defenses, predict angles, or otherwise, I played basketball at the collegiate level. I started on a team that won a conference championship the years I played. So, I think I know what I'm talking about when I say I can read angles.

Should Sim Bhullar be able to stop Russell Westbrook? No. Should a defensive player almost always win a matchup regardless of their actual talent and skill? No.

I'm saying there needs to be a balance. If the defense at launch was too strong for some of you, fine. I'll accept that, as I know the talent level of the average player. But is the answer to that issue removing all defensive effectiveness?

[b]Let's be reasonable.[b]Right now looking at streams and chatting with some people on Twitter there is an advantage now too controlling Tony Allen as opposed to Aaron Brooks on defense as there should be. Everyone should not be able to play brick wall defense and the on ball defense IQ you rating should matter

Last edited by thedream2k16; 11-14-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #20
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Defense is much more realistic now imo. In real life players who cant guard get limited minutes. For years 2k has made the offensive player more important than the defensive player. Now you have to hide poor defenders as you should.

I was able to play good and realistic perimeter defense post patch. The on ball defense is better post patch to me. But, we all are entitled to our own opinion and its ok to like pre patch on ball defense better. Great topic started by the OP.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 11-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #21
Rookie

Post Patch is pick your poison.

The tools are there in defensive settings. You have to set a game plan, know what you willing to give up & it can be easily be incorporated biding that your players have high def. IQ to stop mishaps.

But in order to play good defense you still have to manually close out & challenge shots yourself. It becomes easier with time, once you know exactly how the defense rotations work in your game plan. That something you just don't get with Auto, sometime the AI will do something your not expecting.

You really have to show commitment to stopping what you don't want to give up. So use pre-rotate on guys who finish at the rim well, that way who's ever sagging off for off-ball is pre-rotating towards the driver to stop his progress. Of course depending on who that player is he can arrive late, or on time, but if you got the game plan, know your rotations, bringing help manually is always better than CPU defense.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #22
Rookie

Havent played online yet but i do play on hof sim n ive had good success on defense..

Sent from my SM-G850M using Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #23
Rookie

Icon13 Re: Post Patch On-Ball Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitolrf
Post Patch is pick your poison.

The tools are there in defensive settings. You have to set a game plan, know what you willing to give up & it can be easily be incorporated biding that your players have high def. IQ to stop mishaps.

But in order to play good defense you still have to manually close out & challenge shots yourself. It becomes easier with time, once you know exactly how the defense rotations work in your game plan. That something you just don't get with Auto, sometime the AI will do something your not expecting.

You really have to show commitment to stopping what you don't want to give up. So use pre-rotate on guys who finish at the rim well, that way who's ever sagging off for off-ball is pre-rotating towards the driver to stop his progress. Of course depending on who that player is he can arrive late, or on time, but if you got the game plan, know your rotations, bringing help manually is always better than CPU defense.
Great post, now i do have a problem with the patch & its a simple one WHY DID YOU DROP THE TIMER FROM 3 to 2 MINS? If anything bring it back or give us 4 min. How can I set up my playbook, & do team & ind settings
Old 11-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #24
Rookie

xvince15x's Arena

It felt really different when I played online earlier... it will take some getting used to for sure!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »