Home

Post Patch On-Ball Defense

This is a discussion on Post Patch On-Ball Defense within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-14-2015, 01:14 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Post Patch On-Ball Defense

Does anybody else feel that players can just run right around other players too easily? Before, I was rewarded by beating a person to a spot. Now, it doesn't even matter if I beat the other player to the spot, he can just hold turbo and get around me.

Case-in-point: Anderson Varejao blows by Reggie Jackson. Twice. Pau Gasol blows by Stanley Johnson.

There's no point of playing on-ball defense anymore. This is ridiculous.

I can't be the only one that feels this way.

/Rant
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2015, 02:21 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Post Patch On-Ball Defense

yes, post patch i'm able run a loop around the entire D i couldn't do that before. I'll never understand video game makers. the game just needed a few small tweeks, but now i just see dumb play after dumb play. A bunch of so called basketball players who can't dribble or hit shots when they're wide open.

oh well now it's just a time filler until star wars or until i can afford fallout.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:45 AM   #3
Rookie

Almost 100 views and only 1 reply? If I'm crazy, someone tell me.

Also, I'm pretty sure that whatever was done to on-ball defense nerfed on-ball post defense as well. I'm beating post players to the spot on the baseline spin move every time, and my defensive player just moves aside like nothing happens. This is a cheeser's heaven.

This has ruined almost the entire online gaming experience for me, as this has removed any pleasure of playing 1-on-1 defense in this game.

Again, if I'm crazy, and I'm terrible at this game, someone tell me. Otherwise, others need to speak up. 2K won't fix anything if everybody stays quiet.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:53 AM   #4
MVP

Honestly, the way defense was set up with such physical and effective one on one defense isnt realistic. Nba defense is predicated on giving ground, taking angles and help defense. So i would suggest you back up a few steps and try to take their angle.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:04 AM   #5
Rookie

What angle would you suggest taking on a player who sits on the turbo button with Westbrook or Wall?

Also, what angle would you suggest taking when someone repeatedly uses a post spin to the baseline? Even after you've beat the offensive player to the baseline.

Not being sarcastic, genuinely asking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2015, 03:28 AM   #6
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRyder312
What angle would you suggest taking on a player who sits on the turbo button with Westbrook or Wall?

Also, what angle would you suggest taking when someone repeatedly uses a post spin to the baseline? Even after you've beat the offensive player to the baseline.

Not being sarcastic, genuinely asking.
Take the person whos supposed to be defending the inbounder and shadow/ impede his progress until he slows or passes. If he keeps forcing, double with that defender. If he passes and finds an open man, so be it. You cant take everything. That's basketball.

As far as the post, if you cant stop him one on one, do as nba teams do, double on the catch. That's basketball.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:40 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
Take the person whos supposed to be defending the inbounder and shadow/ impede his progress until he slows or passes. If he keeps forcing, double with that defender. If he passes and finds an open man, so be it. You cant take everything. That's basketball.

As far as the post, if you cant stop him one on one, do as nba teams do, double on the catch. That's basketball.
It doesn't only happen with quicker players, nor does it happen only on inbounds passes. On more than a few occasions, post players took strong wing players off the dribble and scored. For example, I've had Pau Gasol take Stanley Johnson off the dribble. Another occasion had Anderson Varejao taking Reggie Jackson off the dribble from the three point line. If you'd like a demonstration, feel free to add me on PSN, and I can show you.

Also, what do you suggest doing with a post player who spins baseline every time? Even though you move and beat the offensive post player to the baseline every time? If there is anywhere where contact should be prevalent, it is in the post. But regardless of my defensive player beating a spin to the baseline, the offensive player has a free run with no resistance. What, then, should I do?

I think this goes further than being able to read situations and angles. Perhaps even further than making good basketball plays. The issue is the actual ability of a defensive player to give some type of resistance, especially where he makes the correct read. That's the problem.

I think the appropriate solution would have been to enhance the offensive player's ability to get to his spots, rather than diminishing the defensive player's ability to defend.

Last edited by ESRyder312; 11-14-2015 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:04 AM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRyder312
It doesn't only happen with quicker players, nor does it happen only on inbounds passes. On more than a few occasions, post players took strong wing players off the dribble and scored. For example, I've had Pau Gasol take Stanley Johnson off the dribble. Another occasion had Anderson Varejao taking Reggie Jackson off the dribble from the three point line. If you'd like a demonstration, feel free to add me on PSN, and I can show you.

Also, what do you suggest doing with a post player who spins baseline every time? Even though you move and beat the offensive post player to the baseline every time? If there is anywhere where contact should be prevalent, it is in the post. But regardless of my defensive player beating a spin to the baseline, the offensive player has a free run with no resistance. What, then, should I do?

I think this goes further than being able to read situations and angles. Perhaps even further than making good basketball plays. The issue is the actual ability of a defensive player to give some type of resistance, especially where he makes the correct read. That's the problem.
anybody can get to the rim on anybody given the right momentum and angle. you seem to want to complain rather than try suggestions. Stop playing tight as much, use the moderate setting, double on post threats...or dont. *Shrugs*

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »