Home

The forums experts gave me dibble advice, it worked, should I turn the level up?

This is a discussion on The forums experts gave me dibble advice, it worked, should I turn the level up? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-15-2016, 12:56 AM   #1
Rookie

CoachDavid's Arena

OVR: 2
The forums experts gave me dibble advice, it worked, should I turn the level up?

I posted a question previously to get advice on how to limit my turnovers while play my career. I got great advice like using the dribble moves, and avoiding the high post.

The advice was sound, and my turn overs went down. I had one problem, the game became less fun, and the comeback code became impossible to overcome. My players numbers went down with the turnovers.

I was forced to go back to a more aggressive style because I had an athletic point guard.

I started looking at my turnover replays to analyze what I was doing wrong. This is what I found.

The ball physics are the cause of 3 out of 4 turn overs.

Turn overs are frequent when a double team starts. This makes sense. The problem is I am passing the ball before the double team man arrives. The actual cause of the turn over is my player animation has my player drag the ball through the player closes to me. Once the ball makes contact with the player it randomly pops out, but usually towards the double team guy.

Layups and dunks often look as if a strip occurs. Those replays show the same. My player goes into the layup or dunk animation but drags the ball through the out stretched arm of the defender. Again could happen but the defender is not reaching up or out, they are simply running. The ball make contact and the ball comes out.

Turn overs are frequent when change directions near another player. My player will often cross over from one had to another, while the destination hand is in the body of the defender. Every once and a while my players hand will be in the defenders thigh.

Does anyone know if 2k can patch in ball awareness for the ball handlers? It seems that the player with the ball is causing the turn overs due to it not adjusting for possible collisions. This seems to extend to baseline dribble and the out bounds.

I might have to uninstall 2k early this year, maybe try NBA Live. I play the game to relax, but the constant turnovers, and at time strange hot and cold streaks that are not affected by shot selection. The missed layups and open 6 foot shots can be frustrating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2016, 01:54 AM   #2
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: The forums experts gave me dibble advice, it worked, should I turn the level up?

You're a bit all over the place with this post....not entirely sure what you're asking. Referencing the title, It sounds like you need to turn the difficulty down, not up If you want a more casual and relaxing setting. No one here has any inside track on what the devs can patch unfortunately.....
Old 01-15-2016, 05:49 AM   #3
Pro

JoFri's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The forums experts gave me dibble advice, it worked, should I turn the level up?

i'm not sure too. but i can help if there is anything i know and within my control.
are u playing mycareer? on-line?
i have a fair bit of success playing the shooting guards and point guards but that's myleague where i have alot more control like calling plays. running plays is where i find success to beat the cpu and not so much on 1-on-1.
playing myleague for me is, fun ...
Old 01-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I'm so confused by the title and the post, but I'd say turn the difficulty down if you want a more stress-free experience. Also, I know that you're trying to learn from mistakes and all that, but my advice is to stop watching replays and analyzing every little thing frame-by-frame. You're going to see warts in just about any game if you do this. Then that just leads to you being frustrated by the game's limitations and focusing on that stuff instead of just playing the game.

Until we have AI that can better mimic human responses, an animation system that can dynamically create new and appropriate animations on the fly, and a full fledged physics system, there are some things, such as some clipping, that are simply necessary evils to make the game playable right now. It is what it is, which is a solid game of basketball ... not a perfect one.

As for the turnovers on double teams, I'm not sure what to tell you. Occasionally I get stripped when I try to pass it, or it's a wild pass that goes out of bounds, but I've never been routinely stripped when doubled. All I can say is, when you see the double team coming, try to create separation from the closest defender by retreating or dribbling away from him before throwing the pass (if you have a guard). If it's a big man, your best bet is to hold L2 to protect the ball and dish it to someone on the wing. If no one is on the wing, hold circle to call someone over for a dribble handoff and then throw it to them as soon as they are in the clear.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #5
MVP

raiderphantom's Arena

OVR: 6

I get what you're saying. Some animations aren't particularly good for the situation and can cause turnovers. Sometimes it's avoidable, other times it seems like you can't.

XBLGT: tjor24
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokes404
I'm so confused by the title and the post, but I'd say turn the difficulty down if you want a more stress-free experience. Also, I know that you're trying to learn from mistakes and all that, but my advice is to stop watching replays and analyzing every little thing frame-by-frame. You're going to see warts in just about any game if you do this. Then that just leads to you being frustrated by the game's limitations and focusing on that stuff instead of just playing the game.

Until we have AI that can better mimic human responses, an animation system that can dynamically create new and appropriate animations on the fly, and a full fledged physics system, there are some things, such as some clipping, that are simply necessary evils to make the game playable right now. It is what it is, which is a solid game of basketball ... not a perfect one.

As for the turnovers on double teams, I'm not sure what to tell you. Occasionally I get stripped when I try to pass it, or it's a wild pass that goes out of bounds, but I've never been routinely stripped when doubled. All I can say is, when you see the double team coming, try to create separation from the closest defender by retreating or dribbling away from him before throwing the pass (if you have a guard). If it's a big man, your best bet is to hold L2 to protect the ball and dish it to someone on the wing. If no one is on the wing, hold circle to call someone over for a dribble handoff and then throw it to them as soon as they are in the clear.

So spot on, especially the first two paragraphs
Old 01-15-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
QNo
MVP

Hold the B button to do a hand-off when you get double-teamed. You'll never turn it over.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:14 PM   #8
Pro

JoFri's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by QNo
Hold the B button to do a hand-off when you get double-teamed. You'll never turn it over.

someone told me fake pass also can help.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »