Home

Salary cap and player salaries in MyLeague and MyGM

This is a discussion on Salary cap and player salaries in MyLeague and MyGM within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
Rookie

Maverick09's Arena

OVR: 3
Salary cap and player salaries in MyLeague and MyGM

Was wondering if any of you guys had the chance to sim a couple years into MyLeague and MyGM to see what was happening with the salary cap and the player salaries into the future.

I ran one simulation last night and noticed that a lot of teams are not spending nearly enough as they should be.

In year 1, 27 of the 30 teams are within 10 million dollars of their salary cap.

In year 2, only half of the teams are within this range, where a good chunk of teams are sitting on as much as 25 million in cap room.

Years 3 and 4 are similar to year 2. From what I've observed, a lot of players rated in the low 80's are not asking for enough money in free-agency, which causes a lot of teams to stockpile a bunch of cash since they have nowhere to spend it.

For example in year 1, Nicolas Batum (77 ovr) is at the end of his 13 million dollar contract. Once he hits free-agency in the game, he asks merely for 6 or 7 million per year, yet he is at the peak of his career. Why would he ask for half of his previous salary?

Another example is Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, who is making 13 million/year. At his overall rating (78 ovr), he would never be asking for that kind of money in the game. He'd likely be asking 6 or 7 million/year like Batum.

Any of you have thoughts on how to fix this? For MyLeague, I was thinking of increasing the quality of the draft classes to increase the amount of highly rated players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
Pro

Pandetta's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Salary cap and player salaries in MyLeague and MyGM

If you don't want to affect league balance significantly, the easiest route seems like keeping the salary cap at a lower level.

You sacrifice some realism, but the alternative is editing about half of the FA contracts each off season, or rating inflation methods.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #3
Rookie

mustardnmayo's Arena

OVR: 6

Well thats a bummer...one of the main reasons I made the jump to ps4 from ps3 this year was of how bad that problem was last gen, hoping they would have it improved.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

OVR: 0

This has been discussed in the sliders thread. But the reason salaries are slow are because overall is too heavily factored into contract negotiations.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
MVP

cthurt's Arena

Yea it seems the new player rating system is effecting the old signing system where a 77 overall player wouldn't normally get paid a lot, so since more then half the league is in that lower range of rating then the number of high contracts will be a lot lower then it use to be.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
Rookie

Maverick09's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandetta
If you don't want to affect league balance significantly, the easiest route seems like keeping the salary cap at a lower level.

You sacrifice some realism, but the alternative is editing about half of the FA contracts each off season, or rating inflation methods.
So if I understand this correctly, it would be beneficial to lower the salary cap inflation rate in the MyLeague settings?
Old 10-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
Rookie

JohnnyCash2015's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick09
Was wondering if any of you guys had the chance to sim a couple years into MyLeague and MyGM to see what was happening with the salary cap and the player salaries into the future.

I ran one simulation last night and noticed that a lot of teams are not spending nearly enough as they should be.

In year 1, 27 of the 30 teams are within 10 million dollars of their salary cap.

In year 2, only half of the teams are within this range, where a good chunk of teams are sitting on as much as 25 million in cap room.

Years 3 and 4 are similar to year 2. From what I've observed, a lot of players rated in the low 80's are not asking for enough money in free-agency, which causes a lot of teams to stockpile a bunch of cash since they have nowhere to spend it.

For example in year 1, Nicolas Batum (77 ovr) is at the end of his 13 million dollar contract. Once he hits free-agency in the game, he asks merely for 6 or 7 million per year, yet he is at the peak of his career. Why would he ask for half of his previous salary?

Another example is Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, who is making 13 million/year. At his overall rating (78 ovr), he would never be asking for that kind of money in the game. He'd likely be asking 6 or 7 million/year like Batum.

Any of you have thoughts on how to fix this? For MyLeague, I was thinking of increasing the quality of the draft classes to increase the amount of highly rated players.

Same thing that happened last year, there's no logic built in that makes teams and players react to an increased salary cap.

Just do 30 team control and make the deals yourself I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

This is something they have to fix with the first patch. It seems like a pretty big oversight to have the cap increase realistically but not have the player contracts also increase with it...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »