Home

The VC issue - perfectly put in words

This is a discussion on The VC issue - perfectly put in words within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2016, 01:31 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
The VC issue - perfectly put in words

i know it's been discussed before many time, but never have i seen such a nice summary that to the point sums up what's wrong with 2k and their vc love:

With 2K17 it’s hard to shake the feeling that these modes are designed with that in mind, and at times they feel incredibly grind intensive. I get that many people want a game that they can really sink their teeth into and some time with, but the progression of your player and team in the aforementioned modes feels like it was made deliberately slow and tedious to usher you into buying virtual currency. Doing the math on it, it would cost you either hundreds of dollars or hundreds of hours to fully level a character in My Career given the options available to you.

It takes a lot of fun out of these game modes, especially My Career. 2K does offer many ways to earn currency, like using the NBA 2K app, or completing challenges in the game, but that doesn’t help much at all.
The economies of the system are priced in a way that you can’t avoid these modes feeling like a free-to-play grind. It doesn’t help that they start you out at the very bottom of the ladder in NBA 2K17. Your created character isn’t much fun to play with at the very beginning of the mode and you don’t have all that much to work with in terms of currency needed to improve them. Add to that some ridiculous design decisions that has you having to wait through multiple loading screens for practice sessions and advancement of your character, and it’s almost feels like they deliberately structured these modes in a way that has you questioning whether virtual currency would be a better use of your time. I mean, they’re selling virtual gatorade at this point that will temporarily boost your character’s stats. We’ve come a long way in terms of virtual currency and its use in games, and NBA 2K17 might have the most egregious use of microtransactions than any game on the market today.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/reviews/nba-2k17-review/
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2016, 01:34 AM   #2
Banned

Re: The VC issue - perfectly put in words

I don't agree...I thoroughly enjoy "the grind" when trying to progress your player...I mean is it really fun to just have something handed to you? I'd rather earn it and I feel 2k makes you do so especially this year.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2016, 01:37 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynniner80810
I don't agree...I thoroughly enjoy "the grind" when trying to progress your player...I mean is it really fun to just have something handed to you? I'd rather earn it and I feel 2k makes you do so especially this year.

you might enjoy it, but that's nothing to do with the fact that 2k blatantly tries to milk their customers by making very obvious design decisions when it comes to the gameplay.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:46 AM   #4
Banned

It's a business bro...They aren't running a charity.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:47 AM   #5
MVP

Black Bruce Wayne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernte
you might enjoy it, but that's nothing to do with the fact that 2k blatantly tries to milk their customers by making very obvious design decisions when it comes to the gameplay.
You don't have to buy it. Nobody forces you to buy anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2016, 01:47 AM   #6
Banned

We live in the the age of pay-to-play...it is what it is.

Old 09-23-2016, 01:57 AM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
You don't have to buy it. Nobody forces you to buy anything.
Exactly!

Old 09-23-2016, 01:59 AM   #8
Rookie

well, that's not how to lead a discussion. "deal with it" or "you don't have to if you don't want to" are not very good arguments. sounds more fanboi-ish than anything else, doesn't it? but then again, that's what 2k wants. don't ask questions, don't complain, just buy.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »