Home

Anyone ever lost the ball from over dribbling?

This is a discussion on Anyone ever lost the ball from over dribbling? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
MVP

young22's Arena

OVR: 0
Anyone ever lost the ball from over dribbling?

Just something I realized I've never seen. If you dribble 20 times with pressure on you irl, you will probably lose the ball. But in 2k you can spam dribble moves forever and not lose it unless someone takes it. Even the best ball handlers make mistakes. But in 2k it never happens.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Anyone ever lost the ball from over dribbling?

I understand what you're saying, and it'd be amazing on paper. However, as far as implementing it is concerned, it'd be terrible. Imagine you flicking the stick twice, and the game randomly decides for you that "Eh, time for you to lose the ball now." There'd be mutiny. With their track history, it would be overdone, and happen at the dumbest times.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:49 AM   #3
Rookie

Personally, it sounds like an awful idea.

2K already has this mechanic where if you dribble too much, the CPU defender automatically decides it's time to reach and knock the ball away (for a steal or out of bounds).

It's toxic enough that the AI dictates the game with over-the-top animations. No more animations that are out of the player's hands. Just give us, as the players, more control of how things happen on the court.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:41 AM   #4
Rookie

ZBoo50's Arena

He is probably talking about online, while those cheesers wasting 24 seconds and shoot in the last few sec they dont lose the ball unless they are against LDD opponent. If you all remember last summer, they told us this won't be the case yet it is.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelumfang
I understand what you're saying, and it'd be amazing on paper. However, as far as implementing it is concerned, it'd be terrible. Imagine you flicking the stick twice, and the game randomly decides for you that "Eh, time for you to lose the ball now." There'd be mutiny. With their track history, it would be overdone, and happen at the dumbest times.

I disagree.

It's like saying, 'imagine you are trying to do a hop step or pass on a fast break and the game decides you trip over your feet and lose the ball out of bounds.'

or
Imagine you pump fake and the game decides you're going to get blocked before the ball even leaves your hands.
Imagine you have someone sealed inside and the game decides you are going to get blocked.
Imagine you get a great shot, release it 99% of the way full and the game decides that you miss it. etc...

There used to be a stumble animation that you got after dribble spam. Basically, I think 2k needs to look at how dribbling actually happens. I never used 'size up moves' back when they were in the game, but those do exist. Even the greatest chain of dribbling is generally simple moves, and some work chained, others don't. There is also usually a pause between it. Nobody is dribbling up the court crossing over, dribbling behind their back unless they are in and1 and that's not gonna work in real ball. It would also keep bigs from doing cross overs as much.

They need to look at movement imo. I liked when crossovers were tied to movement. So the strength of your cross over should be tied to your burst in one direction, an individual move should get more space than it does in 2k, but they need to be toned down in frequency. You should need a plan before you start spamming moves.

I think there *should* be lost ball, stumble, and 'getting control of the ball again' animations. Even a lot of the sickest overdribble cross overs, the player has to gather a minute before they shoot, because they were a little OC themselves. It should be tiered, but generally I'd say beyond one move and counter move, you should start fumbling the ball a little. Doesn't mean you can't do cross one way, put it behind the back, dribble once more slowly on that side to get control of the ball again, then try to cross/spin again, but if you look at how people actually dribble, even the all-time great dribblers, they don't just have perfect dribbling even when they are crossing people over, moves cause you to lose control of the ball, even if you can continue to cross, it gets sloppy.

That and most of the greatest crossovers you can think of are one move or move counter move.

Edit: even if there was an alert/meter that said when you were starting to get too wild and lose your handle, if 2k can't animate it yet. The thing is, we forget how simple 2k is. We are playing a game where dudes can just dribble, or where when you pass, you don't aim it, it just flies magnetically toward the person unless you threw it in a terrible spot or it gets stolen. There is a lot to be improved upon, and dribbling is one of those things.

-Smak

Last edited by ILLSmak; 03-14-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
Pro

Vroman's Arena

Quote:
Imagine you get a great shot, release it 99% of the way full and the game decides that you miss it. etc...
That something i agree with , mastering release and being able to shoot 3pts like its freethrow is one of most game breaking thing in mypark/pro am/myteam/pno. Instead shooting meter and perfect release there should be only indication if u release it well enough for your shot rating potential. If you can have a shot release mastered to 80%+ fg accuracy then there is no point to do anything else on court but to take jumpshots.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #7
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoo50
He is probably talking about online, while those cheesers wasting 24 seconds and shoot in the last few sec they dont lose the ball unless they are against LDD opponent. If you all remember last summer, they told us this won't be the case yet it is.
That was where my mind immediately went to....

Right now, you're more than likely to get a reach-in foul pressing the button once than your opponent running into while over dribbling.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »