Home

2K18: Less Dunks

This is a discussion on 2K18: Less Dunks within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2017, 08:49 AM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
2K18: Less Dunks

After 6 straight years of reducing dunks in gameplay, 2K17 was a virtual dunk-fest and it hurt the game terribly. The problem was layered: passing into the paint was too easy, insta-dunks in the paint were the best shots because they had a short gather (they shouldn't) were hard to block and hands up defense doesn't draw a charge like it should when players are over aggressive...trying to dunk "through" guys should work sometimes (mismatches like Howard posting CP3 comes to mind) other times hands-up should result in charges and missed attempts like so:

I've advocated turbo = strong move to the basket and not just "dunk" for some time. Especially for guys with high shot IQ. Sometimes a dunk attempt is a bad decision situationally when a quick layup will beat the defensive rotation. Guys turbo because they want to quickly get to the basket...the game needs to recognize this and not make turbo a blanket dunk attempt.

Now sure, guys with higher dunk tendencies (Blake, Lavine, DeAndre) will go for the slam more often but overall 2K 1) needs to account for the defender and 2) dunk gathers need to be longer overall so that its obvious layups respond quicker. Lets also reward guys for avoiding the defense as more incentive. If I push the shot stick to avoid the defender, lets see an animation that finishes on the side of the rim away from the help like Davis did here:

I tried to dunk all three of these plays and the game interpreted a layup (Okafor's dunk tendency is low) and forced me into a contact shot and a strip instead.

Good call. These were solid elements that lowered the arcady dunkfest that was 2K17...anything that furthers that in 2K18 is a good thing.

Last edited by Kushmir; 06-01-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
MVP

VAWereWolf65's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2K18: Less Dunks

I honestly don't think standing dunks have that quick of a gather. Some of them do and there are a few insta dunk animations that are ugly and OP, but dunks get blocked ALL the time in online game modes because driving dunk animations are just so damn slow and blocking shots requires no skill

If you want to see less dunks can't you just adjust the player tendencys or "attempt dunk" slider though?
Old 06-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAWereWolf65
I honestly don't think standing dunks have that quick of a gather. Some of them do and there are a few insta dunk animations that are ugly and OP, but dunks get blocked ALL the time in online game modes because driving dunk animations are just so damn slow and blocking shots requires no skill

If you want to see less dunks can't you just adjust the player tendencys or "attempt dunk" slider though?
Definitely agree blocks need an overhaul. Still, consider the amount of dunks you see in an online game...its ridiculous. Its probably intended as a counter but its a poor one and affects the core game horribly.

but no, slider fixes won't affect anything in a PVP environment where lack of balance gets exposed.

Last edited by Kushmir; 06-01-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

I disagree one of the main problems in the game its too easy to block dunks and slap the ball out of the hands of the Big Man especially in Pro Am. You may not see 1 blocked dunk in a NBA game for a week in Pro Am you can see 5+ in one Game what they need to do is allow better jostling for position and more fouls on block attempts if I have a 7ft Glass Cleaner getting blocked by 6'3 pg repeatedly theres a problem chase down blocks are also way overblown.. If a player like Shaq got his man in deep post position it was a wrap Dunk every time you had to make sure he didnt get that position and it should be the same in 2k.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

The problem for me aren't the driving dunks. I would like to see less standing dunks in traffic , especially in pro am.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 0

Maybe if most layups weren't so slow and easily smacked into the 5th dimension, sure.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
Hall of Fame

Coach2K's Arena

OVR: 2

On drives to the basket, I'd rather see fewer blocked dunks (especially from defenders behind the dunk) and more fouls called on attempting to block a dunk. That's the whole point of taking it strong to the rim.

I'd also say, more blocked in traffic layups. And not the kind where the offense blocks the shot down court or out of bounds just so the offense can have it back.

Also, way too many missed dunks.

It's also ridiculous that my wide open layups trigger an animation to move my offensive player in position to get his layup blocked instead of laying it in quickly.

To watch a fictional MyLeague expansion series with more than 90 episodes click here.

Subscribe to Coach2K's YouTube channel by clicking here.

Visit Coach2K.com for my latest articles.

Last edited by Coach2K; 06-01-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

Way to many dunks in 2k17. Especially standing dunks. Every big can standing dunk in traffic. Watching Zbo dunk in traffic is not realistic. Even bums can dropstep and dunk. The dropstep in this game is OP as are Standing dunks.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »