Home

What the heck happened to the playbooks?

This is a discussion on What the heck happened to the playbooks? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-31-2020, 12:33 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
What the heck happened to the playbooks?

They are as bland as I’ve ever seen. Hundreds of plays and everything is just one action. It looks like an elementary playbook. No ball screens with a stagger or pin down on the opposite side. No UCLA screens going to the basket. No flex cuts. Everything was just stripped down. 2K5 had more intricate plays than most of the ones present now. Is the next gen move the reason for this? I wouldn’t understand why considering there are still so many plays. It seems inexplicable to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2020, 12:58 AM   #2
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: What the heck happened to the playbooks?

Which ones are you looking at? I use Nuggets and there are plenty of differing actions. Even at that though, the NBA is increasingly moving away from these kinds of actions and more towards PnR and PnF oriented offense, and that's reflected in books this year (carry over from last).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 12-31-2020, 01:54 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb625
Which ones are you looking at? I use Nuggets and there are plenty of differing actions. Even at that though, the NBA is increasingly moving away from these kinds of actions and more towards PnR and PnF oriented offense, and that's reflected in books this year (carry over from last).

I was putting together a book of my own and scrolled through the play catalog. The plays seemed just god awful in comparison to what you would see in an actual basketball game. Like I’m going through the pick and roll section right now, and you could essentially just click the pick and roll button and have the same effect. There’s no ball movement, no off ball movement, no off ball screens, nothing.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

Sounds like the real life Rockets. They never run any plays, just isolate Harden top of three point line while everyone else stands around lol.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:55 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
I was putting together a book of my own and scrolled through the play catalog. The plays seemed just god awful in comparison to what you would see in an actual basketball game. Like I’m going through the pick and roll section right now, and you could essentially just click the pick and roll button and have the same effect. There’s no ball movement, no off ball movement, no off ball screens, nothing.
I mean honestly, that's the way NBA ball is played these days
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2020, 12:10 PM   #6
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Hmm.. interesting. Which PnR plays are you running? There's a handful I can think of off the top of my head that have good off ball action too. Fist 15 Down Quick, Fist 14 Horns, Fist 15 Hawk Rip is a really good one, there are a lot out there, but one in vogue thing I've noticed a lot watching the NBA are those stagnant PnRs. A lot of teams seem to be going to that more often!

European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 12-31-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 8

Seems like more of the off-ball action is moving away from playbooks and into freelances.

Calling plays in general are a bit more complicated compared to having actions run based on where the ball is.

Triangle is def my fav freelance; can get some good cuts, post-ups, and p&r action within 24 seconds. And it just starts over again after the rebound. Too good.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
They are as bland as I’ve ever seen. Hundreds of plays and everything is just one action. It looks like an elementary playbook. No ball screens with a stagger or pin down on the opposite side. No UCLA screens going to the basket. No flex cuts. Everything was just stripped down. 2K5 had more intricate plays than most of the ones present now. Is the next gen move the reason for this? I wouldn’t understand why considering there are still so many plays. It seems inexplicable to me.

It’s been like this for quite a while now. I’d say things started to go south starting 3 or 4 cycles ago. Teams are really just running a few actions a game to get 3s or force a switch. Blame the analytics teams use not the 2K devs. I hate it too 99% of the consumers don’t run plays unless they are cheese money plays they find on YouTube.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »