Home

AI Defense Sometimes Getting Lost On Help Defense For No Reason

This is a discussion on AI Defense Sometimes Getting Lost On Help Defense For No Reason within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: AI defense is broken.. again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
So my question is always this. How can a basketball video game accurately simulate bad awareness without us saying the game is BROKEN?

Bad awareness happens MULTIPLE times during real games, so to PURPOSELY replicate that in a video game without you thinking it is a GAME issue vs. it being a defender just being out of position.

Please answer
I'm ok with it happening a few times a game for sure but it's pretty chronic. And it doesn't appear to be simulating bad awareness. It just seems like they always code the defender covering the corner guy to sag to the basket to protect the drive. I've seen the same defender get burned 4 plays in a row which isn't realistic.

I'd be totally ok with the play if the ball handler was actually driving to the bucket and the corner cover was coming to help. But most times the ball carrier is at the top of the 3 point line, with everyone in defensive position yet buddy is camping under the basket while his cover sits open in the corner. If it's Roberson, sure, but Mirotic?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #26
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
So my question is always this. How can a basketball video game accurately simulate bad awareness without us saying the game is BROKEN?

Bad awareness happens MULTIPLE times during real games, so to PURPOSELY replicate that in a video game without you thinking it is a GAME issue vs. it being a defender just being out of position.

Please answer
if that's the case then it would be great if a dev popped in and clarified it as intentional programming so we can pit an end to it. since no dev ever did last year after the countless threads full of endless pages of broken defense, my guess is that it's a bug.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #27
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustie
I'm ok with it happening a few times a game for sure but it's pretty chronic. And it doesn't appear to be simulating bad awareness. It just seems like they always code the defender covering the corner guy to sag to the basket to protect the drive. I've seen the same defender get burned 4 plays in a row which isn't realistic.

I'd be totally ok with the play if the ball handler was actually driving to the bucket and the corner cover was coming to help. But most times the ball carrier is at the top of the 3 point line, with everyone in defensive position yet buddy is camping under the basket while his cover sits open in the corner. If it's Roberson, sure, but Mirotic?
right, the big is already showing in the paint. theres no sensible reason for that rotation, it wouldnt even happen in a hs game.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #28
MVP

BluFu's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
What should defensive mishaps look like?

We keep saying what it SHOULDN'T look like but nobody ever says what it looks like
We already see regular defensive mishaps in the game though. Shooters can get left open throughout the course of the game naturally off of drive & kicks, double teams, post up & kick-outs, as well as designed plays. That's basketball.

Defenders running off of a shooter to the paint when there is absolutely no driving threat imminent is not excusable as a "defensive mishap". It's poor (or rather, broken) logic.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #29
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

OVR: 1

Quick questions:

1. What is the Awareness and IQ of that defender? Who's the player?

2. Do you have Help defense on Auto, whether it's screen or drive?

3. What sliders are you using? Default?
Old 09-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 15

IMO, the only change OG would have to make is ensure the CPU is programmed to play "tight" on all shooters with a 3-point rating "x" or higher (maybe 85) and make sure they are not rotating to help on a PNR.

On a side note- Is anyone having an issue with the manual "defensive settings" changing? (ACE off)
Old 09-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #31
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxBis
This is so frusrtaing to play MyCareer.. the AI defense is horrible , going inside the paint for no reason leaving guys wide open on the 3p peremiter.

Happens on defense and offense, and besides, i think this year teams really abandoned inside plays. im a paint protector and if i get 1 block in an entire game im happy, its 24/7 of shooting threes.

This is just one example,now imagine this happening 20 times in a game :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1DU...ature=youtu.be
What level are you playing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2017, 01:31 PM   #32
Pro

sudanmalkovich's Arena

It's not simulating bad awareness or anything.
the video above is done by developers and they were talking AI improvement with it..

it was designed to ignore bums who can't shoot outside to protect the paint.
simply, the logic's not working the way it was supposed to. some calls it broken.

Last edited by sudanmalkovich; 09-19-2017 at 01:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »