Home

Basic Right Stick Defense Tutorial

This is a discussion on Basic Right Stick Defense Tutorial within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2019, 05:36 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Basic Right Stick Defense Tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQqmTL4Tj-8

After the discussion on defending the drop step over in another thread, I realized not everyone may realize or remember the functions of the RS on defense;the video above covers it pretty in depth.

EDIT:After testing,it seems the "press B to bump/chuck" move no longer works as depicted in the video; I would disregard that section, the rest of the information in the video still works.

In addition to the material covered in the video I want to add a few things:

-In general, L2+RS into a moving player is how to trigger those little bump animations that forces a guy to pick up his dribble (that's how the CPU is stonewalling you on defense.... input reading+RS into you). L2+RS away/down on a shooter is basically a safe defense (think mini vertical contest)

-The system remains almost exactly the same in post,the only difference being you need to use both sticks into the post player when he tries to back down.

-It also works off ball to deny/bump offensive players that are in motion.

-RS also works when boxed out,move towards the open space/way you want to go is how to trigger those swim moves and chuck moves the CPU does to get to the ball.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by MrWrestling3; 06-02-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2019, 09:36 AM   #2
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Basic Right Stick Defense Tutorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQqmTL4Tj-8

After the discussion on defending the drop step over in another thread, I realized not everyone may realize or remember the functions of the RS on defense;the video above covers it pretty in depth.

In addition to the material covered in the video I want to add a few things:

-In general, L2+RS into a moving player is how to trigger those little bump animations that forces a guy to pick up his dribble (that's how the CPU is stonewalling you on defense.... input reading+RS into you). L2+RS away/down on a shooter is basically a safe defense (think mini vertical contest)

-The system remains almost exactly the same in post,the only difference being you need to use both sticks into the post player when he tries to back down.

-It also works off ball to deny/bump offensive players that are in motion.

-RS also works when boxed out,move towards the open space/way you want to go is how to trigger those swim moves and chuck moves the CPU does to get to the ball.
Except I think they took the B button chucking out of the game. I cant get my defenders to do it anymore.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 06-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #3
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Except I think they took the B button chucking out of the game. I cant get my defenders to do it anymore.
I think you are right, I'll edit the OP.Thanks.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #4
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Good tutorial. The only problem with right stick defense is it doesn't really work inside near the rim. Just play the AI on HOF, let it attack the paint and watch how right stick can't really stop anything anymore. Watch how it can just bump it's way inside and then throw up some lazy shot with your hands up all in their face and it still goes in majority of the time. This is why the CPU cheezes attacking the paint so much against the user. It pretty much put's you in a situation where you either allow them the easy basket or jump, with a high chance of fouling them.

Last edited by WarMMA; 06-02-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMMA
Good tutorial. The only problem with right stick defense is it doesn't really work inside near the rim. Just play the AI on HOF, let it attack the paint and watch how right stick can't really stop anything anymore. Watch how it can just bump it's way inside and then throw up some lazy shot with your hands up all in their face and it still goes in majority of the time. This is why the CPU cheezes attacking the paint so much against the user. It pretty much put's you in a situation where you either allow them the easy basket or jump, with a high chance of fouling them.
Are we talking post shots or inside shots?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #6
Pro

I literally just I had this dude pinned on the baseline and behind the backboard with his dribble picked up and I’m in hands up defense. There is nothing he can do except pass out.
However, 2k just slides me out of the way so he can get a half hook layup like I’m not even there.
I’m a 93 Overall 6’11 250 two way post scorer PF. 88 on strength, 80 shot contest, 78 block, and none of it matters against Mario Hezonja. SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
I literally just I had this dude pinned on the baseline and behind the backboard with his dribble picked up and I’m in hands up defense. There is nothing he can do except pass out.
However, 2k just slides me out of the way so he can get a half hook layup like I’m not even there.
I’m a 93 Overall 6’11 250 two way post scorer PF. 88 on strength, 80 shot contest, 78 block, and none of it matters against Mario Hezonja. SMH

Are you playing on HoF by any chance? That sounds like the cheese the CPU does when the sliders are out of whack.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #8
MVP

WarMMA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811

Yh this is the kind of thing i'm talking about. It's like your not even standing there. The game will just slide you over or straight up ignore your hands up defense and let them score the smothered inside shot. It's so annoying. Then if you jump, foul smh.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »