Home

Great Game Terrible Default Sliders

This is a discussion on Great Game Terrible Default Sliders within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-29-2019, 08:30 PM   #1
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Great Game Terrible Default Sliders

The main problem "I' have had gameplay wise with 2k20 are:

1. Offensive Rebounding. (Turn off and def rebounding down to 15).
2. CPU never turning the ball over. (Turn ball security down to 20)
3. CPU scoring over, thru, and sliding around good paint defense. (Turn layup defense strength to 55 for takeoff and release)
4. Non existent help defense. Which affects the drive and kick game, 3 point attempts, and PIP. (turn Help defense slider to 99)

All of the these things can be corrected via sliders. I personally hate changing sliders, because I think the default should be the way the developers intended the game to be played. However, I feel like there is no way to get a decent game without adjusting the sliders this year.

There is alot of hate towards 2k20, and its flaws. But truth be told, once you adjust the sliders the game is by far the best sports game ever made. Imo. However, we all know we are one patch or update away from the game being terrible. ha.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-29-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Great Game Terrible Default Sliders

Are these adjustments for both user and cpu or only cpu?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 09-29-2019, 10:21 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob

3. CPU scoring over, thru, and sliding around good paint defense. (Turn layup defense strength to 55 for takeoff and release)

4. Non existent help defense. Which affects the drive and kick game, 3 point attempts, and PIP. (turn Help defense slider to 99)

All of the these things can be corrected via sliders. I personally hate changing sliders, because I think the default should be the way the developers intended the game to be played. However, I feel like there is no way to get a decent game without adjusting the sliders this year.

There is alot of hate towards 2k20, and its flaws. But truth be told, once you adjust the sliders the game is by far the best sports game ever made. Imo. However, we all know we are one patch or update away from the game being terrible. ha.
I agree with these adjustments. I've made the same adjustments with my sliders and it has helped. The only thing about lowering the rebound slider is that you wont get the rebound animations like you would probably at 50. At least from what I seen.

I also edited the roster:

* Increased all perimeter defense by 12points to help with the easiness of getting to the paint.

*Edited all the drive tendencies. Some guards and even bigs had too high drive tendencies. This has helped with the CPU bull dozing to the paint all the time.

*Edited contest and open 3pt (increased by 15 for known shooters) to help with more 3s in the game.

*Edit all badges. Got rid of all bronzes and only gave badges that were deserving. For example Lebron only has like 28 with my new roster set instead of 55.

The sliders with my roster edits has made the game a whole lot more playable for me.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2019, 10:53 PM   #4
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob

There is a lot to like about NBA2k20 gameplay, sure it has it flaws, but its never going to be perfect. I agree default sliders should give you a realistic game, and then you adjust based on how you play and your skill level, You shouldnt have to adjust sliders to get realistic gameplay.

However you can get very close with getting the right slider adjustments. My biggest complaint is the lack of charging, blocking, and shooting fouls on 3pt attempts, which has been a issue for a few yrs now. The other issue and its been this way since forever, as its never been right is the lack of non-steal turnovers, especially in regards to the CPU turning the ball over. NBA teams average without looking up the exact averages, between 12 too 18 turnovers per game. Its rare that you or the CPU will turn the ball over more than 8 or 9 times,a nd you will basically never see a game where a team turns it over 20 plus times, as you will see at times in a NBA game.

I believe the only reason why the devs dont make these things realistic is due to the casual fans. For whatever reason its us true hardcore basketball fans, that get the short in of the stick on a game that they call a basketball simulation of the NBA. What needs to be done is they make it a simulation of the NBA, and let the casuals adjust sliders to get the gameplay arcade like for their entertainment.

I dont play online, but I would think if I was playing online against other humans, I would want the same gameplay feel that is IRL, where you have to protect the ball, and make the right pass and if you or your sloppy with the ball, you will turn it over. Also I would want the reward of playing good D and having that risk reward of drawing a charge against my opponent, or causing my opponent to throw a bad pass or travel.

Something I have found over the yrs, is due to ratings being over inflated, you need to turn down both offensive and defensive awareness, along with ball handling, and you will see closer to more realistic turnovers, and you may even draw a charge or blocking foul on occasion too. The key is finding the sweet spot where all sliders work together to get the most realistic gameplay, and its quite time consuming, and at times updates will put you back to square one unfortunately.

I see most people who make slider raise offense and defensive awareness, and claim they are sim sliders, which is why I say, most people who claim to be or want sim, really dont want sim. Sure it makes the game last longer, but if you truly want a simulation of the NBA, there is going to be plenty of fouls and turnovers in games.

Ive yet to find that right balance where the sliders all work together to get the most realism out of the game, but I do believe its possible to get it very close, its just time consuming having to mess with the sliders, and frustrating as well. Its also going to take roster editing, and even then I dont know if we can get it perfect to what we see on TV, especially when it comes to seeing fouls on 3pt attempts, I believe this is hard coded in som way to not call those fouls, as its extremely rare to see a foul by either you or the CPU on 3pt attempts. It can happen, but its a rarity, and has been for a few yrs now. I guarantee this is due to the online casuals, as back when they had it right a few yrs back, onliners whined about it, and the next yr it was basically nerfed to the point of almost never seeing that foul. And in todays game with all the 3's being taken, you see fouls on 3pt attempts much more than it use to be.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 09-29-2019, 11:58 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH
There is a lot to like about NBA2k20 gameplay, sure it has it flaws, but its never going to be perfect. I agree default sliders should give you a realistic game, and then you adjust based on how you play and your skill level, You shouldnt have to adjust sliders to get realistic gameplay.

However you can get very close with getting the right slider adjustments. My biggest complaint is the lack of charging, blocking, and shooting fouls on 3pt attempts, which has been a issue for a few yrs now. The other issue and its been this way since forever, as its never been right is the lack of non-steal turnovers, especially in regards to the CPU turning the ball over. NBA teams average without looking up the exact averages, between 12 too 18 turnovers per game. Its rare that you or the CPU will turn the ball over more than 8 or 9 times,a nd you will basically never see a game where a team turns it over 20 plus times, as you will see at times in a NBA game.

I believe the only reason why the devs dont make these things realistic is due to the casual fans. For whatever reason its us true hardcore basketball fans, that get the short in of the stick on a game that they call a basketball simulation of the NBA. What needs to be done is they make it a simulation of the NBA, and let the casuals adjust sliders to get the gameplay arcade like for their entertainment.

I dont play online, but I would think if I was playing online against other humans, I would want the same gameplay feel that is IRL, where you have to protect the ball, and make the right pass and if you or your sloppy with the ball, you will turn it over. Also I would want the reward of playing good D and having that risk reward of drawing a charge against my opponent, or causing my opponent to throw a bad pass or travel.

Something I have found over the yrs, is due to ratings being over inflated, you need to turn down both offensive and defensive awareness, along with ball handling, and you will see closer to more realistic turnovers, and you may even draw a charge or blocking foul on occasion too. The key is finding the sweet spot where all sliders work together to get the most realistic gameplay, and its quite time consuming, and at times updates will put you back to square one unfortunately.

I see most people who make slider raise offense and defensive awareness, and claim they are sim sliders, which is why I say, most people who claim to be or want sim, really dont want sim. Sure it makes the game last longer, but if you truly want a simulation of the NBA, there is going to be plenty of fouls and turnovers in games.

Ive yet to find that right balance where the sliders all work together to get the most realism out of the game, but I do believe its possible to get it very close, its just time consuming having to mess with the sliders, and frustrating as well. Its also going to take roster editing, and even then I dont know if we can get it perfect to what we see on TV, especially when it comes to seeing fouls on 3pt attempts, I believe this is hard coded in som way to not call those fouls, as its extremely rare to see a foul by either you or the CPU on 3pt attempts. It can happen, but its a rarity, and has been for a few yrs now. I guarantee this is due to the online casuals, as back when they had it right a few yrs back, onliners whined about it, and the next yr it was basically nerfed to the point of almost never seeing that foul. And in todays game with all the 3's being taken, you see fouls on 3pt attempts much more than it use to be.

I get your point about awareness but my experience is if you turn defensive awareness down it becomes a layup drill as defenders on your team and the CPU don't recognize anything going on out there. And if you turn offensive awareness down, the CPU pounds the ball into the ground for 20 seconds if they aren't running (which is FAR too often), then throws up a shot or makes a quick drive to the basket.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-30-2019, 02:04 AM   #6
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comduklakis
I get your point about awareness but my experience is if you turn defensive awareness down it becomes a layup drill as defenders on your team and the CPU don't recognize anything going on out there. And if you turn offensive awareness down, the CPU pounds the ball into the ground for 20 seconds if they aren't running (which is FAR too often), then throws up a shot or makes a quick drive to the basket.

You dont really want to turn D awarness down too much, otherwise yes your right, as there wont be any type of help D. You just got to find the sweet spot, like for example turning down offensive awareness, you to find the right balance with shot tendencies, to compensate for that. Plus when you turn down ball handling and hands, you need to lower steal ability slider down.

For D, if you turn down the awareness, you got to use bump up the defensive impact sliders to compensate some for lower defensive awareness.

In top of finding the slider sweet spots, where they all work together in unison, you really need to overhaul the ratings of players. Which Im sure your well aware of how poor player ratings, and tendencies are, they have always been horrible.

Lets take guys like Harden and Westbrook, who have a tendency to get rack up alot of assist, however they also tend to turn the ball over a lot as well. Same can be said for Lebron, he has a tendency for high volume of turnovers at times. You wont see that in NBA2k with these guys, or not without overhauling the ratings for ball handling and passing attributes. All 3 of the players, at times are careless with the ball, as do others, not just picking on these 3, because I dont like them, lol. So while these players have good court vision, pass accuracy and ball handling needs to be lowered, although with Harden I wouldnt want to lower it too much, as between the 3, he has the best handles, and lowering it too much might make him not attack the rum like he does.

I havent found the right balance yet, but I do believe its achievable. For the last few yrs, I have been so disappointed that I have lost interest, do to poor gameplay issues, and having the same things in ML broken each yr, that they dont fix.
But this yr Im enjoying the gameplay, hopefully unlike the past few yrs, they dont screw it up do to the whiny online players. So I am bound and determine, to overcome my OCD issues, and fix what I can with sliders and overhaul the roster, and enjoy the game for what it is. I just pray they dont make the gameplay worse like they have over th epast few yr because of the crybabies online. Once the season starts, as I dont start editing my roster till 2k gets every player on the opening night rosters in the game, so I will know for sure if roster edits and the right balance with adjusting sliders can fix the gameplay, so its closer to a simulation of the NBA. I believe with how improve the gameplay is overall so far, that Im mor optimistic, that we can get closer to making it a sim of the NBA. The last few days, Im starting to see more fouls, although not charges, blocking, or fouls on 3pt attempts, but Im getting closer to the NBA average on total fouls and free throw attempts, with the fouls that the game does call.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 09-30-2019, 08:31 AM   #7
Pro

Johnnythelegend's Arena

What about shooting sliders, I feel like they should go up a bit
Old 09-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseIH

Good points...It feels like every year I have to spend increasingly more time tweaking sliders and editing rosters....and increasingly less enjoying the game.Sadly,it has become increasingly obvious to me that outside of the stuff Czar and OG contribute, 2K has pretty much jettisoned much of the realism in favor of an accessible, somewhat arcade style to focus on the portion of the fanbase that generates a steady revenue stream for them all year long.This is not unique to 2K; I have noticed a demonstrable shift in this direction(i.e. away from offline modes) with all of Take 2's products.

Honestly, at this point to me 2K is sort of like an old car that is amazing when it is running smoothly, but requires so much major maintenance to keep it that way that it starts to not be worth the time and effort anymore.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »