Home

There HAS to be more to rebounding than being tall.

This is a discussion on There HAS to be more to rebounding than being tall. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-13-2020, 12:19 PM   #33
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: There HAS to be more to rebounding than being tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru11
He got quickly off the ground cause he had better anticipation then other and he knew how to box out.

Barkley was great because of his basketball IQ and his ability to make the most of what his body can do.

You are to focused on just his physical attributes that you totally neglect that.

Those physcial attributes arent any special in the nba.

Take Javelle and deandre jordan for example.

They are probably 2 of the most athleticially gifted Centers the nba has ever seen but neither had the basketball IQ to put it bluntly to take those gifts and become a HOF worthy player.

Athletic ability can only take you so far.

Even Howard who might get in to the HOF could have been much better if he could have anything resembling a post game.

You are selling guys like barkley and rodman very short if you think they could only get boards because they where ahtletic.

Even in this game you dont need to have the highest ratings, badges, size and vertical to beat those that have...
you are correct. but i already stated this many threads ago. we already know anticipation, boxing out, hyper athleticism, strength, length. can help with rebounding in REAL LIFE. the problem with 2k and rebounding is, those attributes are not what its necessarily about. sure you can hang a bit if you work realllly hard. but if someone chooses a rebounding build, with a high rebounding rating, and make their guy max height/weight. but they are not good at boxing out. they will still end up with 18 to 25 rebounds. if they are not going up against another rebounding build. we're not talking about some little kid that doenst know what he/she is doing.

an average joe 2k player that has played in a rec for awhile that is a C+ level player. will still dominate the boards just by build alone. this is the problem with this game. this game gives way to much HELP to those that are not great at the game making them into B+ players.

Put it this way. If i chose to be a cheeser and i didnt work a day job or go to school. and had all day and night to live on youtube/2k studying every inch of the game. I would thrash everyone, including a lot of the elite players. Shoot, every time i played one of those 2k league players with my baby big that wasnt a rebounder vs their rebounding locks. I did very well. could i win the battle? NOPE. why not? because badges matter way to much in this game. Things are granted and gifted to you because of said badges/builds. which they should not be.

Should a rebound be easier to snag if you're a rebounding build? NO.
But boxing out should be easier and you should be stronger at it and can hold it better and for longer.

a rebounding build should be able to worm a lot better than non rebounding builds.

But just being a rebounding build should not turn your hands into a magnet and the ball into metal so it can miraculous go towards you most times to give you easier access to it. thats not realistic at all.

2k's entire meta is helping C- players look like B+ players. and is turning B+ players into A++ players if they choose to abuse the meta.

i've said this before and i know i'm alone in this. The reason i never really like choosing rebounding builds is because I like a realistic challenge. i dont want to be gifted the ball i want to be out there anticipating like Chuck in those videos or quick jumping like Dwight or Rodman have, or out their grinding like Drummond. thats the part of rebounding i've loved in real life as a person who played basketball. i was always able to play even with adults when i was a teen because i was taught how to box out at an early age and i had hops/quick hops, and long arms even though i was only 5'10 as a kid playing and 6'2 as i grew older. I've been down there vs 7 foot dudes. I've been down there with 6'9 dudes with hops(its hell..lol). i've been down there with guys i had no business being down there with. but because i knew how to use my core(i was a thin guy too back then). i could use all of my leverage to box out bigger guys, or taller guys, or guys with hops.

you know what you do to guys with crazy hops and length. you box them out so far to the ball drops in front of you. DO NOT try to out jump them, it wont work. its a waste of energy. is this true for 2k? 10% of the time you can do this and get an over the back call. other times the ball will float...float..float over your head like a hot air balloon.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #34
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
Dennis Rodman had a great second (and third and fourth) jump. That's probably what made him so effective as a rebounder.

Watched some highlights while typing this...dude had an unbelievable explosive and quick first jump.
i know. that was my point. maybe the best quick jumper of all time. and he could jump very high as well. he just looked crazy. lol.

there's a reason when you watch college basketball you see a team full of older smaller guys either out rebounding or evening it up if they are from a smaller school vs a bigger program with bigger guys. thats because they are a bit older, stronger and more confident in their abilities and they now know to box out first then out quick people to the ball. the hardest rebound to grab for a really big guy is when the ball bounces off toward the mid range area. its hard to box out some big download then turn, and run to some semi unexpected spot where the ball lands. you can clearly see small guys getting to those balls quicker than the rebounding bigs because they are taught to "gang" rebound and not just get back on defense to stop the break.

This actually does happen sometimes in 2k if someone has athletic SF's. those guys jumper very fast and very high and they will steal rebounds. which is more realistic. i'll give 2k that. but big on big is a bit more arcade like.
Old 03-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #35
Rookie

is your box out assist at default? (50)
if so turn it to zero, it helps a lot a lot a lot more.
i have a 6’3 PG and i boxout way bigger guys than me with no problem, i don’t try to jump for the rebound just box out and let some one else jump for it. i dont even have the box out badge and i do just great.
it also helps to use the right stick to keep them from getting around you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #36
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvlus91
is your box out assist at default? (50)
if so turn it to zero, it helps a lot a lot a lot more.
i have a 6’3 PG and i boxout way bigger guys than me with no problem, i don’t try to jump for the rebound just box out and let some one else jump for it. i dont even have the box out badge and i do just great.
it also helps to use the right stick to keep them from getting around you.
This post made me lol.

Yes, I've been playing 2k since 2k8. I'm always turning defensive assist to 0 every year. And there's a huge difference between boxing out other guards and taking on a 7'3 max weight behemoth.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #37
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
This post made me lol.

Yes, I've been playing 2k since 2k8. I'm always turning defensive assist to 0 every year. And there's a huge difference between boxing out other guards and taking on a 7'3 max weight behemoth.
i didn’t say anything about boxing out other guards....i said i box out big men with no problem. stop taking offense because i didn’t mean what i said in no way. just giving you suggestions. next time read carefully buddy.
and i also didn’t say anything about DEFENSIVE ASSIST! i said BOX OUT ASSIST

Last edited by Marvlus91; 03-14-2020 at 04:07 PM. Reason: add on
Old 03-14-2020, 04:09 PM   #38
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardphillips214
This post made me lol.

To be fair, 2K20 has a habit of sometimes randomly changing my defensive/boxout assist levels when I go into MyCareer games.It is possible it might have been changed and you didn't catch it.

It also sometimes randomly sets all of my in game audio levels to 100 when I go into a game and almost blows my eardrums out....Big fun.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #39
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvlus91
i didn’t say anything about boxing out other guards....i said i box out big men with no problem. stop taking offense because i didn’t mean what i said in no way. just giving you suggestions. next time read carefully buddy.
and i also didn’t say anything about DEFENSIVE ASSIST! i said BOX OUT ASSIST
I get it. I check my settings quite frequently. But yeah, when you guards get caught in the paint, it's nice for you to box my man. But quite often this will give those 7'3s a little "shove off" animation that throws you out of the way and they get a mega jump. I'd much prefer you guys get up the court for the outlet tho.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:45 PM   #40
MVP

To add to the rebounding discussion on the topic of vertical:

I was watching some QJB vids on Youtube yesterday; he has a 7'1" Paint Beast with a Max Vertical of 50, stats at 90+ and all of the typical big guy badges (i.e. Rebound Chase, Rim Protector,etc.) on HoF. With a 50 Vert, he was getting some animations where his entire head was above the rim.

This makes me think that the difference in Vertical is almost pointless in 2K, at least as it applies to Rec or Pro/Am. As long as the player has certain badges maxed, it will essentially turn them into Wilt Chamberlain regardless of their height,weight, or physicals.

On another note: If you don't have it, I think Moving Truck might be worth a shot. I was testing it out and it seems like you can just bump into people when they try to stand in the paint and it will push/chuck them.I don't think it will work when he's actively boxing out, but you might be able to get there first and push him away or out when he tries to run into the paint.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »