Home

NBA 2K21 Next-Gen Gameplay Trailer & Screenshots

This is a discussion on NBA 2K21 Next-Gen Gameplay Trailer & Screenshots within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2020, 05:37 AM   #233
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: NBA 2K21 Next-Gen Gameplay Trailer & Screenshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vido9388
They need to make cpu luka use the step back move on current gen right now, harden do step backs steph do step backs, but cpu luka dont.
I can't play the game default tendencies. Find a good share roster.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:40 AM   #234
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
It would be lame, but how do we know they didn't just capture that footage 2 minutes into the 2nd Q?
Well...

1. It is the exact same lack of reaction that has been in 2K for years and years now.

2. Luka nailing a step back 3 is not going to be met with the entire crowd sitting...no matter the time.

Don't want to be negative, but those crowd reactions / dunks with guys falling back / assistant coaches / generic faces are exactly from the current series I was under the impression this was meant to be a new engine? 2K has mastered the art of recycling stuff and calling it new, so I am wary. But there is tons of recycled stuff in that video.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:45 AM   #235
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Frazier
Well...

1. It is the exact same lack of reaction that has been in 2K for years and years now.

2. Luka nailing a step back 3 is not going to be met with the entire crowd sitting...no matter the time.

Don't want to be negative, but those crowd reactions / dunks with guys falling back / assistant coaches / generic faces are exactly from the current series I was under the impression this was meant to be a new engine? 2K has mastered the art of recycling stuff and calling it new, so I am wary. But there is tons of recycled stuff in that video.
Yeah I hear you. Ill wait until the final copy but there is some stuff in that we've seen for too long.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2020, 05:49 AM   #236
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Had to take a night to sleep and revisit this trailer.

1. The detail in textures and lighting are very impressive. It’s easy to see the difference in every person on the court and courtside.

2. The number of “living” characters in the arena along with the remodeled arena dimensions courtside and through the first rows stands out immediately. This feels like a real arena for the first time in 2K history from multiple camera angles. That’s going to make games feel a lot more immersive than ever before.

Say what you will about mods, but they can’t create art assets and models that don’t exist in the game engine. Modding on current gen is limited by how “empty” the arena looks and feels from a fan/courtside perspective. This jump in assets should help PC modders create an even better experience on next gen.

3. Player models can clearly be improved upon for many of the reasons stated in this thread. On the bright side, this should be easily modded on PC.

4. Player locomotion and foot planting looks like it belongs in a last gen PS3/360 title and it stands out in this video when placed on otherwise realistic looking players. I’m extremely disappointed with the lack of progress in this area as it held back gameplay for the last 4 years. There are aspects of player movement that were smoother in 2K14 than what we have today. This is as core to gameplay as anything else.

5. Player animation speed on/off ball and ball speed are still not optimized in this video. The difference between signature movements on-ball and off-ball movements has been a problem since the move to this new locomotion engine. Again, the improvement in graphics makes these warp/slide animations look more out of place.

The ball handling and shot creation animations in particular are far too loose and cover too much ground for a sim basketball title. These are essentially park/arcade animations applied to NBA basketball. Hopefully some next gen animation packages were added to allow us to change sigs this gen. We’ve lost countless animation packages from earlier 2K titles to 2K21 current gen.

6. We don’t know what difficulty levels are in play here, which team is user controlled, or which pre-release build this footage comes from. There’s no reason to judge the gameplay AI yet for that reason so I’ll wait for that information in other blogs or videos.

It’s clear just from a few plays that there are areas of the game that are ported from current gen but that’s not surprising and should have been expected.

Here are some of the gameplay areas that I’m looking for in next gen 2K:

- Modern floor spacing and offensive aggression in transition for the full length of the floor. Pick and roll offense moved out to half-court and into early offense years ago. Defenders should be forced to play in space out to 35-40 feet to create the type of modern spacing that we’ve seen for years in the NBA. Bigs should be looking to screen early in transition out to the logo instead of just using the binary spot up or run logic.

- Multi-player defensive rotations. NBA defense is five players working together, but 2K defense is stuck in one pass away logic that is easy to exploit weakside. There are so many AI issues that could be fixed by addressing weakside and low man help responsibilities. My biggest concern with next gen is understanding what happens to all of those defensive AI systems that OG built now that he left 2K for EA. Czar’s team on offensive AI has always been a step ahead of the defense and the gap could get larger now. As of now, 2K21 current gen is a simple game of ball screens and backdoor cuts until the low man runs away from the rim.

- Ball movement and offensive pace is still behind where it was in earlier 2K titles. It would be nice to see those offensive series, freelances, and actions run at a much quicker pace without the idle dribbling and idle triple threat moves that we’ve had this whole gen. Modern basketball is pace & space. Pace is missing from the game which is obvious in the box score when you see how many fewer possessions the AI can run compared to real life.

There are a lot of other issues with AI & gameplay, but those are critical to next generation gameplay. I don’t even think it’s possible for 2K to make a jump without those areas being addressed. Graphics haven’t been holding the series back since 2K14 so it’s all about how the gameplay feels now.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:21 AM   #237
Rookie

Come on y’all, we need to start expecting more from 2k. Yes the graphics look nice but the gameplay looks eerily similar to current gen. Not to mention the body models looking way too slim and off in general. Defenders still slide like its the PS3 era. THE GAMEPLAY LOOKS THE DAMN SAME! There is literally no sign of fluidity at all! Mike Wang said they’ve been working on this game for TWO years! Everything looks ported from current gen with a graphical update. Please y’all open y’all eyes, they are charging 70 dollars for a current gen 2k21 with faster loading times! Why are players shorts still stiff in warmups? The PS5 has 10 teraflops of gpu power, compared to 1.85 in the PS4 and shorts are still stiff as paper! The only update jerseys got was a texture update so you can see the little holes better, no physics update. I’m betting that in MyPark shorts will still be stiff. I am trying to be optimistic but you can literally not find one gameplay aspect that looks new or marginally improved. No one has even mentioned how the MyPlayer creation system is probably the same based off of the created players seen in the arena? Please y’all rewatch the trailer. I can’t believe this isnt being mentioned more. The CPU in the PS5 has been upgraded massively yet we can’t get realistic foot planting? Even the hair textures look the same except for Curry! Y’all need to raise y’all expectations they are charging 70 dollars for a ported game damn. These players look just as robotic as current gen. The crowd is not even reacting realistically to all the big time plays being made. Look at the crowd in the beginning when Zion and Lillard dunk, they are not even staring at them!! They are in the front row standing up staring at the opposite side of the arena! I’m telling y’all lower your expectations drastically you will be disappointed...

Last edited by jaityla; 10-07-2020 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:04 AM   #238
MVP

MoneyOvaHuds's Arena

How about we wait for more info just a thought lol I never understood reacting to what 25 seconds of what pro level video from an old build of the game. Wang said that the game will feel and move different than last gen I rather get my hands on it and read the upcoming info before saying the game is the same
Old 10-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #239
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBKSean216
Lmao gotta love the 16 year old casuals who only play park with their googly eye glasses and all black Tats.

Seriously the fact that a compliment had to be beaten out of you tells eveyrone all they need to know. You're a pessimist. I bet you tweeted 2k 1000x crying about how hard shooting is in current Gen too.

Just stick to fortnite kid.

I do not appreciate this post.

It hurt my feelings.

hahah

Ad Hominemn. some light reading for you, son: https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
You can see the ****ing dimples on the ball. Cmon man.

And I spliced together all the Luka clips, and he put up 21/12/9 in the trailor.

this one is much more subtle and, as such, much more dangerous.
perhaps appeal to laughter or false cause... could make a case for other fallacies, perhaps.

https://www2.palomar.edu/users/bthom...o%20Humor.html
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/false-cause

--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

concering the ****ing dimples on the ball.

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/74233...ear/index.html
https://www.annualreports.com/Hosted..._TTWO_2019.pdf

lets assume take two made only 1 billion dollars on 2k20.
$1,000,000,000.00

lets assume that they have a professional artist that took 30 minutes to add ****ing dimples to the nba ball texture.

lets assume they pay that Professional artist $20 an hour.

I am so glad that they allocated $10 out of their $1,000,000,000.00 budget to add dimples so that you are impressed.

that is 0.00000001% of their 1 billion budget.

money well spent.

hahah

perhaps y'all want to discuss why Klay is running around under the basket like an 8 year in the gym.... y'all didn't touch on that point.

I don't get on the internet much nowadays, but that past few years I like to play a game:
Who's on the payroll.

sadly, i will never know.

have a good day.
Old 10-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #240
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaityla
Come on y’all, we need to start expecting more from 2k. Yes the graphics look nice but the gameplay looks eerily similar to current gen. Not to mention the body models looking way too slim and off in general. Defenders still slide like its the PS3 era. THE GAMEPLAY LOOKS THE DAMN SAME! There is literally no sign of fluidity at all! Mike Wang said they’ve been working on this game for TWO years! Everything looks ported from current gen with a graphical update. Please y’all open y’all eyes, they are charging 70 dollars for a current gen 2k21 with faster loading times! Why are players shorts still stiff in warmups? The PS5 has 10 teraflops of gpu power, compared to 1.85 in the PS4 and shorts are still stiff as paper! The only update jerseys got was a texture update so you can see the little holes better, no physics update. I’m betting that in MyPark shorts will still be stiff. I am trying to be optimistic but you can literally not find one gameplay aspect that looks new or marginally improved. No one has even mentioned how the MyPlayer creation system is probably the same based off of the created players seen in the arena? Please y’all rewatch the trailer. I can’t believe this isnt being mentioned more. The CPU in the PS5 has been upgraded massively yet we can’t get realistic foot planting? Even the hair textures look the same except for Curry! Y’all need to raise y’all expectations they are charging 70 dollars for a ported game damn. These players look just as robotic as current gen. The crowd is not even reacting realistically to all the big time plays being made. Look at the crowd in the beginning when Zion and Lillard dunk, they are not even staring at them!! They are in the front row standing up staring at the opposite side of the arena! I’m telling y’all lower your expectations drastically you will be disappointed...
Feel like if short stiffness and crowds not standing is a person's biggest issue than the game is basically perfect. For me those are super minor and I don't watch the crowd when I am playing or pay attention to shorts unless they glitch in a funny way.

Bigger issues for my gameplay is MyLeague simming and overall, having more jersey options, more customization for CAPs.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »