Home

NBA 2K21 Next-Gen Gameplay Trailer & Screenshots

This is a discussion on NBA 2K21 Next-Gen Gameplay Trailer & Screenshots within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2020, 04:07 PM   #241
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: NBA 2K21 Next-Gen Gameplay Trailer & Screenshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo88
The tonal contrast between the NLSC discussion and this thread is quite amusing.

personally, not impressed... but hey, just my opinion... not that it matters.

I'm more concerned how the help defense on these dribble drives made it into the official Gameplay Trailer ... something to keep an eye on when more gameplay is revealed. I mean, for a Gameplay Trailer, Klay certainly doesn't know how to switch correctly.... he has been injured for quite a while... perhaps he forgot how to play basketball... dunno

the dribble drives have been slowed down to 25%... watch the main defender and help defense ...

Not worried about the Klay's D on the blow by and the no help defense. Obviously it's on lower difficulty.

The sliding by Porzingis during the dunk is the worst to me. Really sticks out when you notice it.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #242
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaityla
Come on y’all, we need to start expecting more from 2k. Yes the graphics look nice but the gameplay looks eerily similar to current gen. Not to mention the body models looking way too slim and off in general. Defenders still slide like its the PS3 era. THE GAMEPLAY LOOKS THE DAMN SAME! There is literally no sign of fluidity at all! Mike Wang said they’ve been working on this game for TWO years! Everything looks ported from current gen with a graphical update. Please y’all open y’all eyes, they are charging 70 dollars for a current gen 2k21 with faster loading times! Why are players shorts still stiff in warmups? The PS5 has 10 teraflops of gpu power, compared to 1.85 in the PS4 and shorts are still stiff as paper! The only update jerseys got was a texture update so you can see the little holes better, no physics update. I’m betting that in MyPark shorts will still be stiff. I am trying to be optimistic but you can literally not find one gameplay aspect that looks new or marginally improved. No one has even mentioned how the MyPlayer creation system is probably the same based off of the created players seen in the arena? Please y’all rewatch the trailer. I can’t believe this isnt being mentioned more. The CPU in the PS5 has been upgraded massively yet we can’t get realistic foot planting? Even the hair textures look the same except for Curry! Y’all need to raise y’all expectations they are charging 70 dollars for a ported game damn. These players look just as robotic as current gen. The crowd is not even reacting realistically to all the big time plays being made. Look at the crowd in the beginning when Zion and Lillard dunk, they are not even staring at them!! They are in the front row standing up staring at the opposite side of the arena! I’m telling y’all lower your expectations drastically you will be disappointed...
I would say it's your expectations that need to be adjusted. You seem to be comparing the game to real life, versus it's peers in other sports videogames. Or even other next gen launch titles overall. To my knowledge there isn't a true system-selling title being released for either the XSX or the PS5 - or a title that's making a huge generational leap over it's predecessor. Not Ratchet & Clank, Spiderman MM, Dark Souls, etc.

Can't speak to other sports games because 2K is the only company showing what they're offering - in detail no less. I don't know what Madden, Fifa, etc. will be but if past history serves they'll be more or less higher res versions of their current-gen counterparts. No one can accuse 2K of going that route; right or wrong there are huge differences between current gen 2K21 versus next gen 2K21. And 2K is going the extra mile in showing it off.

I didn't have much need to get a next gen system because of my backlog of Xbox and PS4 games. But if a PS5 or XSX comes available, 2K21 looks to be one of the few launch titles offering a true next gen experience that would make me pick up the system.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 10-07-2020, 04:36 PM   #243
MVP

OVR: 8

I believe we're at a point where we should ask: how much better can these graphics seriously get?

Again, it's hard to imagine things when you don't understand the possibilities of technology.

But to me, the next step in making basketball games better is the mechanics - more free and less scripted movements that resemble something closer to the game in real life
Old 10-07-2020, 05:06 PM   #244
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zten11
I believe we're at a point where we should ask: how much better can these graphics seriously get?

Again, it's hard to imagine things when you don't understand the possibilities of technology.

But to me, the next step in making basketball games better is the mechanics - more free and less scripted movements that resemble something closer to the game in real life
For me its AI advancements.

Every sports game on the planet nowadays uses unfair cpu buffs or nerfs user abilities on higher difficulties. I completely understand the necessity of it right now because none of us want to win every single game, but I dream of a world where smarter AI makes the games hard and fair.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:40 PM   #245
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

The lighting makes a really big difference. You can't tell me this doesn't look like it's from reality. Screenshot_20201007-173914_Gallery.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #246
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo88
welp, i killed the thread. haha.

i like you CujoMatty. Working with you on mods has always been a pleasure. But i will not allow the whole pc master race slander to be casually thrown around...

I hardly comment over here, but you just had to bring pc master race meme into the discussion. I have a personal crusade against that meme, thus the long post.

I, myself, am very, very excited for next gen consoles. They will push gaming to another level, level design, accessing intricate levels, model density, texture size -- all is a major bonus for gamers... but at the same time we can hold companies accountable for the stuff they producing. Nobody should be blaming the devs... they are hard working and very constrained by corporate paramaters outside their pay grade. They code what the boss tells them to code. I am grateful for the nba game produced by 2k... it has so many offline features... tendencies/attributes/playbooks/franchise/trade/cpu... etc etc. the list goes on and on.

I'm still wallowing in 2004-2008 madden because the Madden Suits have removed so many features in the current iterations.

anyways, many pc players are carefully using the words "not impressed" ... so, lets talk about the impressivness of something.

lets turn to cars.
3 cars - 2001 Rav4 , 2013 Rav4, 2020 Rav4

so, If i have a 2001 Rav4 and upgrade to a 2020 Rav4 .... the upgrade is very impressive.
If i have a 2013 Rav4 (very nice car, in my opinion) and upgrade to a 2020 Rav4.... well, the upgrade is not very impressive--because both 2013 and 2020 are "very nice" cars... according to me.

the graphical jump from a ps4 to the ps5 gameplay trailer is very impressive. The textures are amazing. the lighting is better. etc etc.

for me, as a pc player, the ps5 gameplay trailer is very nice.... nicer than my modded 2k20/2k21 PC game.... but, due to my background... it falls just as not too impressive

for me, essentially 2k has produced this upgrade:

better texture quality. better lighting. better crowd. but still not too much more impressive for me (a PC offline player)

Now, if 2k got around to upgrading my Hornacek... then my mind would be blown

yes, that is 2k20 hornacek... poor guy has been the same since 2k13/2k14...

so, back to cars... 2001 RAV4 ---> 2020 Rav4.... impressive upgrade on the interior... amazing stuff... touch screen... shiny shiny everywhere... new hybrid leather stuff... soft touch dash

once all the new shiny shiny wears off ... does the damn car function? does it run? is it reliable?

I waited 27 pages to see if anybody commented about the bad gameplay on the gameplay trailer.... once the new shiny shiny rubs off... is it a better game?

Hopefully when more gameplay is released Klay is not running in circles under the basket like a chicken with his head cut off... hopefully this is a fluke/rookie setting/ etc etc

but yeah, PC players have had their 2013 RAV4 ... very nice shiny shiny textures, models, lighting... ... the ps5 gameplay trailer is better... but how much better? for me... not too much more impressive.
so we have allready started to kick the tires and look under the hood.... and we end up asking with each year... have the legacy problems been addressed and fixed? Has the cpu AI been improved? or is it all again marketing talk. have rotations been improved... has classic rosters/tendencies been properly implemented?
Can the CPU actually manage a player that has 2 fouls in the first quarter?

the elite pc master race meme should never be casually thrown around to slander pc gamers. at the end of the day... we are gamers... and any improvement in a game is that-- an improvement. wether or not it is impressive... that depends on your personal background.

I certainly don't blame the devs... they are passionate and improve the game within the product statutes set.
Hope their isn't a character limit in this forum... i don't post here much.
Posts like these are why I'm happy to be an OS member
Old 10-07-2020, 07:41 PM   #247
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I would say it's your expectations that need to be adjusted. You seem to be comparing the game to real life, versus it's peers in other sports videogames. Or even other next gen launch titles overall. To my knowledge there isn't a true system-selling title being released for either the XSX or the PS5 - or a title that's making a huge generational leap over it's predecessor. Not Ratchet & Clank, Spiderman MM, Dark Souls, etc.

Can't speak to other sports games because 2K is the only company showing what they're offering - in detail no less. I don't know what Madden, Fifa, etc. will be but if past history serves they'll be more or less higher res versions of their current-gen counterparts. No one can accuse 2K of going that route; right or wrong there are huge differences between current gen 2K21 versus next gen 2K21. And 2K is going the extra mile in showing it off.

I didn't have much need to get a next gen system because of my backlog of Xbox and PS4 games. But if a PS5 or XSX comes available, 2K21 looks to be one of the few launch titles offering a true next gen experience that would make me pick up the system.
Listen, I had reasonable expectations regarding next gen NBA 2k21. I know the limits in regards to video game basketball, but this game doesn’t feel or even look completely next gen. In warmups players shorts are still stiff! Is it unrealistic to ask for short physics for at the most ten or so players on the court when shooting around? The PS5s gpu is close to 9 times more powerful than the PS4 (10.3 to 1.85 teraflops), that’s not even taking into account the different architecture Being used (RDNA 2 in PS5 is around two times more efficient than GCN which is in PS4). The CPU is clocked at 3.5 ghz, and we still have stiff shorts!! Ok, if that’s too much to ask then what about body models? Look at Klay Thompson’s body model, he looks like his body is compressed! The only players who have unique players are Boban and Zion! The crowd doesn’t even follow the Zion with their eyes when he’s about to do a windmill! This is something that has been seen since Xbox 360, when bench players would turn their head to follow the action on the court. THIS GAME IS 70 DOLLARS! 2K came out saying that this is a true next gen game and the trailer didn’t blow away more than half of the people that watched it!! They said it was a gameplay trailer but there were no new improved movements! Please open your eyes man please this is not it at all and I mean it genuinely. This is the biggest jump in power and efficiency yet we saw the smallest jump in gameplay changes AND graphics. If that doesn’t say something I don’t know what will.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #248
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
No doubt eko. I have downloaded some modded legends like Iverson, Shaq, t-Mac, etc on 2k20 that put 2k's models to shame. Not to mention the countless current NBA players modders have updated to near perfection. I can't remember whether it was one of the Fallout games and/or Skyrim that allowed you to download some PC mods onto Xbox. If they could do that for those games I would think they could do that for this title??..Sorry for drifting off topic..

The only ones I've seen cross console were courts and jerseys within MyLeague or MyGM. We'll see with PS5 though; maybe someone will figure it out for body models, courts, faces, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »