Home

NBA 2K21 Next-Gen Gameplay Trailer & Screenshots

This is a discussion on NBA 2K21 Next-Gen Gameplay Trailer & Screenshots within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2020, 09:24 PM   #249
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2K21 Next-Gen Gameplay Trailer & Screenshots

The more they show gameplay that isn’t heavily curated by 2k from angles we can’t play from the more this looks like a port over from current gen with really good lighting.
Old 10-07-2020, 09:52 PM   #250
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnoodle321
The more they show gameplay that isn’t heavily curated by 2k from angles we can’t play from the more this looks like a port over from current gen with really good lighting.
Built from the ground up doesn't mean We knocked the house down and rebuilt it. It means they went back and made some upgrades in everything aspect of the game. It would take a good 5-7 years for a brand new game.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app

Last edited by ForeverVersatile; 10-07-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:34 PM   #251
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
Built from the ground up doesn't mean We knocked the house down and rebuilt it. It means they went back and made some upgrades in everything aspect of the game. It would take a good 5-7 years for a brand new game.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
You yourself when replying changed the word “rebuilt” for “upgrade”. They should not have said “rebuilt”and gone with we upgraded aspects of the game. It’s all marketing speak to get our dollar. Like I said previously the more I see the less I’m impressed unfortunately
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2020, 10:40 PM   #252
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
You yourself when replying changed the word rebuilt for upgrade. They should not have said rebuilt and gone with we upgraded aspects of the game. It’s all marketing speak to get our dollar. Like I said previously the more I see the less I’m impressed unfortunately
Based on your other thread, it feels like you made up your mind made up before anything released, so I doubt anything will change your viewpoint.

but as far as what has been rebuilt, I believe the next couple of blogs dive into the the actual systems.

Last edited by The 24th Letter; 10-08-2020 at 12:15 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:42 PM   #253
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
You yourself when replying changed the word “rebuilt” for “upgrade”. They should not have said “rebuilt”and gone with we upgraded aspects of the game. It’s all marketing speak to get our dollar. Like I said previously the more I see the less I’m impressed unfortunately
Why would you expect them to just throw away years of code & work just to start from scratch?

That just isn't how game development works & never will be. They iterate & work off of code and/or "engines" from previous titles while upgrading, refining, improving and replacing where they can.

Not even 2K14 was truly "built from the ground up" meaning everything was brand new.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Old 10-07-2020, 11:11 PM   #254
MVP

sva91's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:

This 100%. But so many 2k loyalist can’t take any criticism on these forums, as if they own stock in 2k. Now that the dust has settled and we’re getting new videos, it looks just like a port with better lighting and more atmosphere.

And with regards to the slander against PC players like myself, I’d just like to say that I’m not trying to flex that I have a pc that allows me to mod, I’m just pointing out the capabilities that have been available to 2k for years, yet we see little to no progress with regards to certain art assets. How can you make Kobe your cover athlete and have a ridiculously bad player model for one of the most beloved players of all time ?

How can these 16 year old kids in the Philippines with no access to any of 2k’s resources make better/more accurate player models, faces, uniforms, courts, fans, accessories, cloth physics, etc...than an actual 2k employee ? My critique of this next gen trailer is more of an indictment on the lack of progress the 2k art team has failed to make. Player models are comically bad.

Some people think the art direction is “fine” or “good enough”. Well that mindset in accepting mediocrity is how we got the same next gen madden for 8 years. Props to 2k on the lighting and some faces, but player models are still horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-08-2020, 12:07 AM   #255
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sva91
This 100%. But so many 2k loyalist can’t take any criticism on these forums, as if they own stock in 2k. Now that the dust has settled and we’re getting new videos, it looks just like a port with better lighting and more atmosphere.

And with regards to the slander against PC players like myself, I’d just like to say that I’m not trying to flex that I have a pc that allows me to mod, I’m just pointing out the capabilities that have been available to 2k for years, yet we see little to no progress with regards to certain art assets. How can you make Kobe your cover athlete and have a ridiculously bad player model for one of the most beloved players of all time ?

How can these 16 year old kids in the Philippines with no access to any of 2k’s resources make better/more accurate player models, faces, uniforms, courts, fans, accessories, cloth physics, etc...than an actual 2k employee ? My critique of this next gen trailer is more of an indictment on the lack of progress the 2k art team has failed to make. Player models are comically bad.

Some people think the art direction is “fine” or “good enough”. Well that mindset in accepting mediocrity is how we got the same next gen madden for 8 years. Props to 2k on the lighting and some faces, but player models are still horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I’m with you 100%. This game is not worth 70 dollars to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2020, 12:18 AM   #256
Pro

NoLeafClover's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Posse
Why would you expect them to just throw away years of code & work just to start from scratch?

That just isn't how game development works & never will be. They iterate & work off of code and/or "engines" from previous titles while upgrading, refining, improving and replacing where they can.

Not even 2K14 was truly "built from the ground up" meaning everything was brand new.
I disagree, if anything moving to a new console generation should be the perfect time to scrap a bunch of legacy code and properly re-build an entirely new game.

This is a recent phenomena when gaming companies realised they can release annualised franchises with much less effort and re-using old assets (Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, 2K etc.) so that people spend more money every year.

Realistically, NBA2K21 should have just been a DLC or big content patch from 2K20, and you can go back pretty much all the way to 2K15 or so and say the same thing.

They could have spent several years working parallel to multiple years worth of current-gen 2Ks and rebuilt everything, but that would cost more $ and eat into profit margins. Granted, we don't 100% know about next-gen yet and are jumping to conclusions at least slightly.

And I say this as someone who holds quite a lot of $ worth of shares in both TTWO (2K) and ATVI (CoD, World of Warcraft etc.), hehe

Personally I wish they'd just switch NBA2K to an MMO-style ongoing SaaS model with an ongoing monthly $ subscription fee where you don't need to constantly re-buy the game every year and just pay for as long as you're interested in playing...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »