Home

your on-ball defense methods

This is a discussion on your on-ball defense methods within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2010, 12:07 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 6
Icon12 your on-ball defense methods

i always wanted to know how you play on ball d.like whether u press L2 (intense defense) OR dont or which defensive assist slider u use and things like that.wats ur method(s)?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 12:44 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: your on-ball defense methods

im a pretty good defender with great reflect n i can standing in the front of my opponent all of time.

its a mix between intense defense or not to press lockdown defense button. I opted not to press L2 however when i altering shots, because sometimes my defender just block my opponent's vision ala Shane Battier, not the ball. Block ala Shane Battier in my game rarely resulting bricks or its just me ?

Last edited by Mirjalovic; 08-11-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 2

Turn on ball defense assist to fourty and enable absolute right stick defense. You can cut players off from going baseline by pushing the right stick to the right and anticipaying their movement with the left stick. I would also suggest playing on the two k cam if you want to improve ur onball defense. Another little thing i do with the right stick is push it down which puts my player into a hands up animation. This bothers shooters and can even block shots with a tall defender or tip passes
On the perimeter
Old 08-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Banned

Oh and another thing. Dont overuse the lock down d right trigger button. Try to only use it when a player is attacking or driving to the hoop. This combined with the right stick and the left stick movement will provide you with tools to cut off a defender and stick with them. As well dont try to put too much pressure. Lay off a bit and let them come to you. Dont try to steal the ball too much or block shots just stay infront of your man and let them come to you... Ghost
Old 08-11-2010, 02:47 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 6

Ym on 40??
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Banned

it allows for more control from ur controller
Old 08-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Pro

videlsports's Arena

OVR: 25
Thumbs up Re: your on-ball defense methods

A mix of intense D and to sag off well timed swipes only when the Ball handler makes a mistake.
MLB:PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES
NCAAFB:PENN ST (Jerry's Gone PSU Moves on)
NCAABB:KENTUCKY WILDCATS
Old 08-11-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 13

OP I assume you're referring to user vs user games. Most importantly you've got to cut off baseline, force everything to the middle. Baseline animations will destroy you if don't cut the defender off 15 ft away from the hoop and further.

You've got to have help defense I suggest playing with your help defense slider getting it to your liking. Along with the help defense slider you've got to get the defensive pressure slider to your liking if you feel like you're playing good on-ball defense and are still getting blazed your defensive pressure might be a little too low. If you are getting blown by too easily your defensive assist might be a little high and/or defensive pressure too high.

If your cpu defenders aren't closing out fast enough your help slider might be too low. I know you're concerned about on-ball defense, but you can only control one defender at a time. A common tactic you will see is lead passing on the perimeter to get shooters open shots. I recommend changing your defensive pressure setting to 'deny' on players who are primarily spot up shooters so your cpu defender is in a better position against the lead pass jumper.

L2 is your lifeline. It will get your defensive player tired very quickly, but it's a necessary consequence. I don't just use it to be physical with the ball handler. You can also use L2 to protect areas on the court. If you anticipate a drive from the handler you can sag off, hold L2 and it will prevent them from getting off a layup animation. You are of course open to getting blazed with the jumper when you do that.

Also off-ball defense L2 is how you prevent lead passing opportunities. If you position yourself and hold L2 your opponents cpu players will not present themselves for lead passing opportunities. They won't cut to the hoop and your opponent won't be able to lead them. It works against the pick and roll also.

Last edited by oOausarOo; 08-11-2010 at 10:36 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »