Home

Face recognition for cap?

This is a discussion on Face recognition for cap? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Face recognition for cap?

So i was playing Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 on my friends computer, and i saw that you could scan your picture for created players and i was blown away at how it looked exactly like me and my friends. I spent more time creating people than actually playing the game because it was just so cool to see us in the virtual world. Granted he does have a real high end computer and we took our photos with his professional camera, so i don't know how poor it would have looked with a weak quality photo and computer.

Will 2k EVER use that technology or at lest something similar to what EA uses for Fight Night, etc. or is 'Create A Player' just not that high on their list of things to upgrade?

Isn't the point of most gaming to experience basically a different life and experience than the real life you live? Who doesn't want to see themselves dunk on Yao Ming or get in a shoot out with Kobe, etc? Not to mention, it would be an easy way to make old school rosters and players for the console on our own and not have 2k get in any trouble for using a players likeness that they had no permission to.

They did make a big jump from 2k9 to 2k10 in CAP but it's still horrible imo. And Is it just me or does ever player no matter what skin color resemble a black person except for asians? You try to create a white person, and it looks like the Wayans bros in those suits/makeup for the movie "White Chicks." I'm hispanic and i felt the same for me, it just felt like i looked like a light skinned black guy. Which completely ruins Association for me and my friend because we hate it when everyone retires and the league is filled with a bunch of players that look exactly the same and just look horrible overall.

Here's to hoping they make vast improvements in this department and give that face importing/recognition/mapping or whatever technology a shot!

Last edited by flyfreebird89; 07-13-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Face recognition for cap?

I personally have been waiting for something like that for a long time, but I guess it really isn't that important to them or maybe they feel some people may abuse it in some way that would affect things like dowloading/uploading rosters and such. People can think of some stupid things to upload.

It would definitely be key in creating players that aren't in the game, roster update mess ups, etc. The technology is already there. I remember even my brother being able to upload a photo to Tony Hawk on Playstation. Hopefully one day we'll be able to enjoy a feature like that.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Yes i would personally love this feature but i know it won't be available
Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 41

I concur everything that's been said.

A lot of games run very high-resolution face mapping which, in all honesty, 2K isn't even close to using. Fight Night, MLB The Show, and Tiger Woods PGA to a lesser extent all have very high-resolution, anti-alias facial maps. Tiger Woods PGA, of course, had a facial recognition mode for the PS3 (and Xbox 360 as well, I believe).

2K has some good things in its games, but the graphics (this would be Visual Concepts, actually) are not nearly refined enough to notice subtle facial differences. In the time they have to make the game, too, it's easier to have a serviceable facial editor with fewer options than bring in a new interface like photo scans because, like I did with Tiger Woods PGA, people who do the photo scans would still want to tweak the fine details, and the current system is not capable of that.

Similarly, PES 2010 has a ton of options for hair. I mean like 200+ options. 2K has less than 30 hairstyles. Some games invest time in the subtle differences, and 2K/VC does not.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
MVP

Phreezy P's Arena

OVR: 24

I hope we can use facial recog. for the player portrait.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Pro

kolanji's Arena

OVR: 19

that is not a bad idea! but i would lemit it only to "my player Mode" and "team up"
Old 07-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

I been saying this idea since the whole My Player thing started. If they had this feature....I would actually play that mode.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfreebird89
And Is it just me or does ever player no matter what skin color resemble a black person except for asians? You try to create a white person, and it looks like the Wayans bros in those suits/makeup for the movie "White Chicks." I'm hispanic and i felt the same for me, it just felt like i looked like a light skinned black guy.
Haha, that is so true. But I've downloaded old roster files, like '96 Bulls, and Kerr and Longley actually look white- so I guess if you know what you're doing it's ok. But I'm not an expert at the face creator, so I run into the same light-skinned black guy problem you mentioned.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »