Home

Athletic PG, My Player Help

This is a discussion on Athletic PG, My Player Help within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:16 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 7
Athletic PG, My Player Help

Hi,

I was just wondering what are some good skills to use my points on? I'm an athletic PG for the New Orleans Hornets (got drafted 1st round, 22nd overall by the Celtics).
I'm using the Jordan shoes which boost my speed up by +3, and also upped my speed up to 95. My Shot Medium is 93, and I can consistently knock down shots all day from that range. My layup is 85, shoot in traffic 70, shoot off dribble 70, passing 75.
I've started to put my skill points into defensive-based skills, as that where I play weakly, and my steal is at 70. Should I put my points into On-ball defense or defensive awareness, or neither?

A little background, I played 7 games for the Celtics before requesting a trade, as I didn't like playing off the bench to Rondo. I got traded to the Golden State Warriors, where I quickly boosted up my stats and had 4 45+ points per game, and set a career-high with 63 points. I didn't like GS though, so I wanted to get traded to the Heat, Raptors, or Kings (me, Evans and Cousins would be DEADLY). Instead I got traded to the Hornets, and have decided to stick with them until the offseason.

Thanks for the help

NHL - Detroit Red Wings
NFL - New Orleans Saints
NBA - Toronto Raptors
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2011, 03:30 PM   #2
MVP

-ENiGMA724-'s Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Athletic PG, My Player Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg40
Hi,

I was just wondering what are some good skills to use my points on? I'm an athletic PG for the New Orleans Hornets (got drafted 1st round, 22nd overall by the Celtics).
I'm using the Jordan shoes which boost my speed up by +3, and also upped my speed up to 95. My Shot Medium is 93, and I can consistently knock down shots all day from that range. My layup is 85, shoot in traffic 70, shoot off dribble 70, passing 75.
I've started to put my skill points into defensive-based skills, as that where I play weakly, and my steal is at 70. Should I put my points into On-ball defense or defensive awareness, or neither?

A little background, I played 7 games for the Celtics before requesting a trade, as I didn't like playing off the bench to Rondo. I got traded to the Golden State Warriors, where I quickly boosted up my stats and had 4 45+ points per game, and set a career-high with 63 points. I didn't like GS though, so I wanted to get traded to the Heat, Raptors, or Kings (me, Evans and Cousins would be DEADLY). Instead I got traded to the Hornets, and have decided to stick with them until the offseason.

Thanks for the help
i think quickness and hustle before on-ball...also make sure you boost hand in addition to steal....if you havent already, get vertical up as well

the kings are really fun to play with as a PG....especially since i have both kevin love and demarcus cousins
Old 03-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 7

Thanks for the quick reply Enigma, I really appreciate the help.

Do you usually bring up the stats to a certain point before increasing another, or completely max out one then go to another. That might sound a little confusing, but what I mean is;

Would you put your vertical up to 70, then work on quickness to let's say 65, then go back to vertical?

Or would you get your vertical as high as you'll ever want it and then move onto a different skill?

What levels are good for vertical, quickness and hands?

NHL - Detroit Red Wings
NFL - New Orleans Saints
NBA - Toronto Raptors
Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

Hey Zetterberg,

I have a similar Athletic PG like you. I got drafted by the Thunder (26th Overall) and set mine up similar to yours. I worked on my midrange and 3pt game first because I felt more comfortable with that. I have Hands to 70, Pass is 80 and Consistency is at 80. I'm working on my Ball Handles and Ball Security right now. I haven't touched my Shot Close, Shot Inside and Dunk yet. On the Defensive side, I maxed out On-Ball D and got my Steals up to 82. I maxed out Vertical to take care of blocks and rebounding for me. Speed is at 95, Quickness is at 92. I'm slowly working to max out Quickness. I have my Offensive Clutch up to 72.

I suggest putting points into On Ball D as well as Defensive Awareness. From what I was told at another forum, Defensive Awareness helps with Steals and other aspects of defense. It's sort of like how Consistency helps you drain more shots in.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
MVP

-ENiGMA724-'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg40
Thanks for the quick reply Enigma, I really appreciate the help.

Do you usually bring up the stats to a certain point before increasing another, or completely max out one then go to another. That might sound a little confusing, but what I mean is;

Would you put your vertical up to 70, then work on quickness to let's say 65, then go back to vertical?

Or would you get your vertical as high as you'll ever want it and then move onto a different skill?

What levels are good for vertical, quickness and hands?
generally i like getting things up to 70 before moving on the another attribute...but you can move back and forth if you want a balance player...

the only thing is that i also take into consideration the cost for each attribute....i know for example vertical cost relatively cheap so i could have that at 80 if i wanted to

i think both vertical and hands are super useful....i would get these up as soon as possible since they help with rebounding/blocks/intercepting passes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
MVP

-ENiGMA724-'s Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by rveezy415
Hey Zetterberg,

I have a similar Athletic PG like you. I got drafted by the Thunder (26th Overall) and set mine up similar to yours. I worked on my midrange and 3pt game first because I felt more comfortable with that. I have Hands to 70, Pass is 80 and Consistency is at 80. I'm working on my Ball Handles and Ball Security right now. I haven't touched my Shot Close, Shot Inside and Dunk yet. On the Defensive side, I maxed out On-Ball D and got my Steals up to 82. I maxed out Vertical to take care of blocks and rebounding for me. Speed is at 95, Quickness is at 92. I'm slowly working to max out Quickness. I have my Offensive Clutch up to 72.

I suggest putting points into On Ball D as well as Defensive Awareness. From what I was told at another forum, Defensive Awareness helps with Steals and other aspects of defense. It's sort of like how Consistency helps you drain more shots in.
not necessarily true...defensive awareness(offensive awareness as well, along with off. clutch and def. clutch) were the last attributes i touched....i still managed to be a ball hawk on defense and averaged 4.9 spg during my second season....

awareness attributes to me are only useful if you simulate games....and clutch is unimportant if you can consistently make and take good shots....
Old 03-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Rookie

I felt that Offensive Clutch helped a lot, especially when my Overall wasn't that great. I've won a couple of close games in the beginning because it, I believe. However, at the time, my Shot Midrange was around 75 and my Consistency was around 60. I was able to get hot in the 4th Quarter. Ultimately, I feel that Offensive Clutch is not as important as the attributes I listed above.

I know most will say that O Awareness and D Awareness is not important (at the moment, I haven't invested any skill points in them) but I might start increasing my D Awareness and see if it helps with Steals. I've been able to get 2 steals per game, but I'm hoping that I could possibly double it.

I agree with what you said about Hands and Vertical though. Hands have helped me steal more passes instead of just getting a tipped pass.

Last edited by rveezy415; 03-08-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Rookie

Enigma-

Much earlier in this post you recommended upgrading you player like so:

-medium shot, shoot off dribble, consistency and durability
-then get your 3-pt up
-get your ball handling to at least a 70-75
-move on to verticals and blocks next
-get quickness, hustle and hands up afterwards
-work on steals and on-ball defense
-increase ball security
-layups and dunks
-off and def rebounding
-off and def awareness
-inside shot, close shot
-shoot in traffic

You were answering a question regarding a SG though. I was wondering if you'd recommend anything different for a PG and also where you'd put passing and stamina in that list? Thanks for your help.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »