Home

Hop step, drop step, euro-step?

This is a discussion on Hop step, drop step, euro-step? within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Hop step, drop step, euro-step?

I apologize if this has been asked before already but I search and couldn't find anything. I was wondering if somebody could help me with getting easier layups. For example, I'll have a fast break with rondo and he'll just bump into the defender and take a bad layup attempt. I play against the computer on All-star difficulty, and with the default sliders.

I usually can convert in the open court, but guys like rondo should be able to beat there man one-on-one if I call iso. I can usually get by him by doing some moves but it results in a poor attempt because rondo gets bumped. I'd appreciate some help.

thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Hop step, drop step, euro-step?

Just wondering if anybody figured it out
Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by it0216
Just wondering if anybody figured it out
Not here. Rondo is one of the players that is hardest to use to his full potential since he thrives on crafty fast layups that in the game are hard to accomplish for many reasons.

Shot stick regardless, shooting a layup in traffic in 2k12 is like rolling the dice. Sometimes it's a beautiful layup that finds the daylight, more often it works pretty hard to find the clouds, when you think you have the step and you end up performing a really slow animation that puts the ball exactly where you don't want it. So that makes it a real low percentage shot that you don't have a lot of control over.

Also, as has been discussed, speed is nowhere near realistic so most players will be able to catch rondo on the open court, which puts him at a big disadvantage and back into the scenario described above.

Maybe a sensai will be able to describe the acute shot stick control one can take advantage of to perform quick release scoop layups. If it is possible, it is a very hard feat.

The game favors creative jump shots- iso motion, fade away, etc... These are much easier to pull off and to execute the way you want. Of course that's Rondo's biggest weakness. There are bigger players that you can get to bound into the lane and finish, but with the PGs it is really hard. In my experience you just gotta take advantage of his great D and passing- hitting pierce, allen, and kg all of whom have the kind of jumpers the game favors- and think maybe in 2k13 layups will be a little better.

Last edited by funkworthy; 03-22-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Rookie

Try reducing the driving shot contact slider, it will reduce the bumping for the layups. Also try turning the blocking slider for the CPU it will make them go for more blocks instead of sucking you into bump animations
Old 03-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
Rookie

sreckless's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkworthy
Not here. Rondo is one of the players that is hardest to use to his full potential since he thrives on crafty fast layups that in the game are hard to accomplish for many reasons....
All of this is right on the money. I've been a Celtics user for some years now and even as Rondo's rating has gone up, he isn't as effective in NBA2K as he is in real life.

To score inside with guards with high strength and big dunk packages like John Wall and Russell Westbrook, you often need do nothing more than :

1. Sprint to the baseline
2. make a 90-degree turn
3. pound on the turbo button and shot stick
4. profit!

In real life, Rondo and let's not forget Tony Parker, are at least as efficient inside scorers as those guys, if not more so. But their moves are nowhere near as simple to re-create in the game. In fact it's basically impossible to do many of the things Rondo does in real life, since real-life Rondo routinely invents new "animations" for himself that have never been attempted by anyone before.

And the things that work for Rondo in the game, he doesn't do in real life -- he almost never uses a spin or a hopstep when going to the rim, he relies on his acceleration and long stride to get past people. Doing spins and hops would just slow him down.

All that said, I've been determined this year to get more out of Rondo. I took him into freestyle practice mode and spent hours on various hopstep layups, up-and-unders and close-in shot fakes. The hop step will absolutely improve your ability to get into the paint. Learning that move, and when to employ it, is job number one. Using an iso move that leads to a hop step is even better, but a little trickier.

Two things Rondo is very good at in the game, are his ability to modify his shot, and his ability to pass out of a shot. Use a hop step to get into the paint and wiggle the shot stick before he commits. That will often open up a better shot OR a great passing opportunity. Sometimes you'll get the ball spiked back in your face, but less often than you might think; and you'll definitely have more success than when you just sprint for the basket and settle for shooting a contact layup.

Also, if you play longer games, the ability to get an opponent into foul trouble is also a nice bonus. I played a Mavs user who tried to guard Rondo with Jason Terry, and I put five fouls on Terry in the first half. For guys that try to go big with a Kobe or LeBron at the point guard spot, you can sometimes make them pay for it with these tactics.

Last edited by sreckless; 03-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

Fast break? The AI will gain a speed burst and bump you into making that awkward animation. But sometimes you got lucky and is able to drive into a paint for a layup/dunk.

The tough way is to learn the iso dribbling skills, and if these 2 conditions are met, you should get a layup/dunk; 1) you shook off your defender with iso move, 2) the paint is clear.

The easier way to score a layup, is to cheese it via spin layup move.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
Banned

BuddhaBaller's Arena

OVR: 0

I really like what everyone has said so far. Spot-on advice and I agree with everything.

One thing I noticed this year that is that 2k12 seems to be really pushing the "patient inside game" wherein you don't just fly to the bucket and throw up an attempt on the run but instead drive to the bucket, collect yourself while you throw up a shot fake, get somebody in the air, and go up on their way down.

Also, in case it wasn't abundantly clear already, make sure you are finishing with the shot-stick and not the "left analog stick+square" routine. I find a lot of layups attempted with the square button just turn rotten.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 14

Try the Spin Layup, it works wonders. Especially if you have one more person to go against in the court and you can do an up and under kind of thing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »