Home

CPU Offense question

This is a discussion on CPU Offense question within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 0
CPU Offense question

I notice that no one has really brought this up, so I am guessing it is not a big concern to the User vs CPU game play?

When the CPU rebounds the ball after a missed shot, it goes on a fast break (100% of the time). They do not run any plays, they just immediately attack the basket. It works also with the user. After a rebound, I will run up court and hit a 3 pointer easily with MarShon Brooks. I was 3/3.

I think this is a programming error, a code that signals the CPU to fast break after the rebound instead of slowing everything down and running plays.

Try this yourself. When you are playing the CPU on any difficulty, intentionally miss a shot. Watch as the CPU Point Guard sprints up court to attack the basket. This will happen every time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: CPU Offense question

Doesn't happen to me at all. Maybe it depends against the teams you are playing against. Are they fast break teams? Look at their coaching settings.

I just got done with playoff series against the Spurs and Lakers, and they ran plays like it was nobodies business. Whether it was off a rebound or an inbounds.

I'm wondering why 100% of the time you're seeing teams fast break? That's weird.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

same thing with me it EVERY time i play on all star difficulty. the only thing i was thinking is that if u tell ur team to O Rebound then all of them crash the glass and no one gets back.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Banned

This occurs on every difficulty. I am playing the Pistons right now - not once have they tried to run a play after rebounding the ball. Stuckey or Knight just run up court and try to attack the basket. Most of the time successful. It seems the offense gets a boost after rebounds. A lot of my shots are automatic off of rebounds. C.J. Watson and MarShon Brooks rain 3s with ease, and I have my 3PT shot success slider at 45.

Very arcade if you ask me ...

I might have to actually make a video or something about this, because NBA 2K is the only game I play and I love basketball.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 2

try playing slower i guess if u take quick shots (like a quick 3) then yes it does happen. it only happens to me on all star. i wish there was a way to tell ur team to get back
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Banned

This issue also happens on Rookie and Pro. As soon as you miss a shot, the CPU will rebound and go on a fast break. They wont slow down and walk up the court and run a play. The CPU goes on a rampage attacking the paint. Try playing the Clippers. Blake Griffin goes on dunking havoc.

Here is a scenario:

Joe Johnson shoots, misses ... DeAndre Jordan rebounds and passes to Chauncey Billups. Billups will sprint up the court full speed, aswell as the CPU team mate; offense appears to be in a fast break mode. Chauncey will attack the basket, if he fails, a bigman will come in and get the offensive board, usually Blake or DeAndre. Standing dunk or inside shot that goes in 90% of the time. I say 90%, because there have been instances where they actually miss.

This bug also works with the User. If you catch a defensive rebound, sprint up court and not run any plays. If you are wide open - SPLASH. MarShon Brooks hit every single three point shot when he had a good look.

This makes the game scripted in a sense and the reason why the game has high FG%. The CPU only makes shots in people's faces following a defensive rebound. If you make a basket, the CPU will inbound, and physics matter. If you play good defense, it matters. The main problem is, when you miss a shot and the CPU rebounds - nothing matters. You need to protect that paint at all costs because the CPU's first priority will get the paint.

Go try this. Intentionally miss shots and watch how the CPU goes on a fast break following a rebound.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Rookie

manustyle90's Arena

OVR: 1

i've tried it all to solve this : run plays to 100, game tempo to 0, fastbreak to 0, cpu speed and quickness to 0, user hustle to 100...but the issue is still there.
It looks like there is a script that says to the cpu that after a defensive rebound there is a fastbreak opportunity and the court is clear, even if it is not..and they treat the defense like obstacles without playing realistic basketball. They are like flies trying to get out of a closed window...AND THIS IS SIM BASKETBALL?
Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Sorry, I Got Nothing...

Illustrator76's Arena

OVR: 21

This is a huge issue guys and I am seeing this as well. I have tried everything under the sun to fix it and nothing works. The CPU is simply programmed to go into "hyper score mode" after they rebound every missed shot by the User's team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »