Home

Looks like 2K22 on PC won't be the new version

This is a discussion on Looks like 2K22 on PC won't be the new version within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
Rookie

m29a's Arena

OVR: 0
Looks like 2K22 on PC won't be the new version

Going by the very early information so far found here:

https://nba.2k.com/faq/

"Q: What platforms will I be able to purchase NBA 2K22 on?"

"A: NBA 2K22 will be available on current generation consoles: PlayStation®5 / Xbox Series X|S and previous generation consoles: PlayStation®4, PlayStation®4 Pro, Xbox One, Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch, Steam for PC."

"Q: Are there any plans to bring the next generation of NBA 2K titles to PC and Switch in the future?"

"A: This is something the team is passionate about and will continue to investigate what is possible for the franchise in the future. For now, the focus was on assuring NBA 2K22 was optimized for the new consoles (PlayStation®5, Xbox Series X|S), while also making sure the experience remains fresh and innovative for players on other platforms."

I was hopeful (considering 2K15 got the upgrade last time), but this isn't completely surprising.

I think a key part that isn't mentioned may also be just that a large majority of PC players do not have adequate hardware (especially a solid state drive).

Not completely related but there was a recent IGN article on FIFA 22 PC version not being the new version either (along with Madden 22), and it included this tidbit that I missed last year apparently:

"When we looked at what generation to put the PC game on, we looked at our fans and what capabilities they had with the hardware they have," executive producer Aaron McHardy told Eurogamer in late 2020. "And we have that information to understand what the power of the PCs out there in the world are. And when we looked at that, in order to run the [next-generation version of FIFA], our min spec would have been at a spot that would have left a lot of people out in the cold not being able to play the game.”

https://www.ign.com/articles/fifa-22...t-gen-features

Anyways, maybe next year...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2021, 10:48 AM   #2
MVP

jk31's Arena

Re: Looks like 2K22 on PC won't be the new version

Oh come on...I upgraded my ****ing PC 1 1/2 years ago to be ready for 2k22 next gen....

"most people don't have an SSD" Uhm what? Really? Even 10 years ago EVERYONE recommended building a PC with a SSD.

Still I see the current graphics card prices being a problem here. Most people with older PCs wouldnt be able to upgrade it with the current prices, where a new one costs above 700 €, while even older cards are much more expensive than back in the days when they were released.
Old 07-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
Rookie

Not to be that guy, but most people playing 2k19 on PC are going to have the means to spend 100 bucks on a SSD without blinking. And their PCs probably could handle these games as well. I think irrational fear of piracy and relative lack of popularity on the platform are the real reasons, but you can't express those ideas without people getting mad at you.

It is also worth considering with that whole Godfall going to PS5 to PS4 deal, lack of hardware is a concern everywhere so why ramp up production to get the next gen games on a 3rd platform when even the hardest core hobbyists can't get their stuff?
Old 07-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

disgusting!!!!!!
2k you don't deserve 1 USD from me
Old 07-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #5
Rookie

m29a's Arena

Regarding SSD usage on PC, you cannot go by the hundreds or thousands of forum posts you see online. That is never representative of the entire market.

PC has grown a massive amount in the last 5-10 years, but it is not all enthusiasts. Large chunk are more casual players on the cheaper laptops and prebuilt desktops, and while many offer SSDs, often they are very small 256 GB or less. It also remains to be seen if a budget SSD is enough, compared to the higher NVMe speeds that the newer consoles utilize (none of us know if the new 2K engine requires that to function).

The proof is all in the monthly Steam hardware survey shown here:

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsur...oftware-Survey

Does not go over SSDs unfortunately, BUT still, you can tell by the processor and gpu tiers and % usage, that most people are on budget builds. Not surprising that the average person doesn't want to spend too much more than say, $500-600 on a build. The internet might make you think though that more people have all these higher end parts.

Anyways, it is what it is. I am just as disappointed and won't buy a console. But we can't do anything about it and it is safe to say that TakeTwo (like EA) probably has specification data on their users. So they make the safe call and ensure 99% of people can play the game instead of like... being optimistic 50-70% or something. They don't want to leave a chunk of people in the cold like the EA quote mentioned.

As for sales, I don't think that is the biggest driver. PC and Steam especially has grown massively over the years.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-stream-users/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...y-active-users

https://steamspy.com/app/1225330

Steam spy gives a sales range of 2-5 million. Not 100% reliable, but let us take the lower end. It still shows PC is a nice slice of the pie for a series that now regularly sells over 10 million+.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #6
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

I just wish consoles didn't have the relocation limit. I know it's been said memory is the reason. But aren't the consoles built like PCs now? I wish they would find a way around it.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:01 AM   #7
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

No upgrade no buy. Pure and simple...
Old 07-15-2021, 03:35 AM   #8
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by m29a
"When we looked at what generation to put the PC game on, we looked at our fans and what capabilities they had with the hardware they have," executive producer Aaron McHardy told Eurogamer in late 2020. "And we have that information to understand what the power of the PCs out there in the world are. And when we looked at that, in order to run the [next-generation version of FIFA], our min spec would have been at a spot that would have left a lot of people out in the cold not being able to play the game.”
Yeah, I don't buy this. This is why PC games have scalable quality, so you can downgrade to suit your system if needed. I have a hard time believing a system that can and does play any of the 2021 PC sports games adequately can't also play the new versions to an acceptable standard, the raw visual improvement isn't exactly night and day.

Unless the plan is to never upgrade the PC games, which doesn't appear to be the indication, then the investment to upgrade it will have to happen at some point. Why not for the 2022 releases?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »